1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks TigerLilea for the update. Would it be too invasive to inquire exactly what new symptoms you have 6 weeks post, or how far you have gone down, or any other anomaly. I am trying to compare with a family member. Thanks in advance.

Ariel, Sean, AliceLily and 1 other person like this.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One week after the first vaccine I woke up feeling like I was coming down with the flu and was extremely exhausted. I felt like that for the next five weeks. The flu feeling went away and the fatigue wasn't as bad and I was able to become more physically active again, however, since the second vaccine I'm right back to finding it hard to do much of anything. I have very little stamina. I didn't feel like I had the flu this time, but the extreme fatigue was there within a day or two of having the vaccine. The arm and leg weakness/shakiness hasn't gotten better at all since the first vaccine. And since the second vaccine I'm finding that I occasionally feel off balance when I turn my head. It only lasts for a few seconds but I never had this problem before the second vaccine.

I am part of an online study researching people's reactions to the covid vaccines. After both vaccines I reported my reactions and they just phoned me half an hour ago to get more information from me. There are three doctors from the University of British Columbia who are participating in this Canada wide study. So far from the information they have been able to collect, there are 4.3% of us who are reporting life changing adverse reactions.

Hutan, merylg, dadouv47 and 13 others like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone know how 4.3% compares with other vaccines ?

Samuel, merylg, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  4. TigerLilea

I'd be curious to know.

Ariel, Binkie4 and AliceLily like this.
  5. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know whether I have understood this correctly from what I read in the news this morning. Is it true that by widening the time from three weeks to six weeks between dose 1 and 2 of Pfizer you get a higher antibody and better protection?

Our government is changing the time between Pfizer doses to six weeks now. I am due for my 2nd Pfizer dose next week which is only three weeks between doses. I'm trying to decide whether I should change it. I also read that there is less risk of rare side effect by delaying the second dose to six weeks.

I need to make a decision what to do. Anyone here who can confirm that it would be better to wait for six weeks to have the second dose instead of three weeks?

Hutan, Michelle and Perrier like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know what they mean by "life-changing" side effects, but I assume most of those are still acute, rather than chronic.
    It is higher than most vaccines, though some (non-universally used) vaccines like typhoid can cause a similar rate of similar acute side effects.

merylg, Michelle, FMMM1 and 3 others like this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Six weeks is neither here nor there.

Three weeks will lead to a lower antibody titre, but higher quality antibodies, since it extends the activity of the B-cell germinal centres in the lymph. Eight weeks or longer will lead to maximal antibody titre, but at a potential cost of antibody variety and neutralising quality.

merylg, Michelle, FMMM1 and 7 others like this.
  8. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks a million TigerLilea--your response is much appreciated. When you are able to, would it be too much to ask for the address of of this on line survey. I have never heard of it. Thanks again.

AliceLily and TigerLilea like this.
  9. TigerLilea

I took it to mean chronic side-effects that aren't showing any signs of abating.

Ariel, MeSci and AliceLily like this.
  10. TigerLilea

As far as I know you had to be invited to participate in this study and I don't think that it is available for the public to view at this time. I was invited as I belong to a survey group for my local health region.

Samuel, merylg, Ariel and 3 others like this.
  11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Much sympathy to those dealing with prolonged side-effects. :hug:

Hutan, Samuel, merylg and 12 others like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Round 2 for me this afternoon. I just hope there are few people and I'm out quickly.

merylg, MeSci, AliceLily and 6 others like this.
  13. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So I'm a little over 2 weeks post second Pfizer and I can say that it didn't improve my vestibular virus or health.

14. rvallee

Update Pfizer #2: 5G reception pretty good. I can see the Matrix! Somehow: cats, it's made of cats.

So far so good. Few people, end of the day. But so damn loud, ice hockey arenas are great for that purpose but made out of nothing but concrete and hard surfaces. I wouldn't have been able to endure the place at full capacity.

Hutan, merylg, Michelle and 11 others like this.
  15. Sean

Should have got the AZ. I did and can now hear the Universal Symphony, with Aretha singing lead and Ginger on drums.

Hutan, Michelle, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  16. rvallee

Day after update: damn my arm hurts, otherwise things are fine. So same as shot #1, just a bit worse off.

Hutan, merylg, Amw66 and 8 others like this.
  17. TigerLilea

My arm hurt after the second vaccine (Moderna) but not after the first one. Also after the second one my arm was very red for several days.

merylg, Binkie4, AliceLily and 3 others like this.
  18. Sean

Four days since my second AZ. Did get a slight headache or two, and felt a bit worse than usual, for the first couple of days. But otherwise okay now, and overall it was a lot milder reaction than the first shot, which seems the standard pattern for AZ.

merylg, Snow Leopard, Binkie4 and 7 others like this.
  19. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Samuel, merylg, AliceLily and 6 others like this.
  20. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not able have my second dose Pfizer this week. Sinuses playing up, sore throat and feel like I could get a chest infection. So have rebooked for the 27th August.

I noticed a vaccination centre opened up in my neighbourhood last week so I was able to make my new appointment there.

Good to see more vaccination centres opening up.

Hutan, Michelle, Mij and 7 others like this.