Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yesterday was the first time I went out for a Covid jab, the last 5 jabs were home visits. I had to fill out a form, and one of the questions was, do you have R/A, MS or Lupus, another question was, do you have a medical condition. I checked off 'yes'.

What is the point of these questions?

Ash, AliceLily, bobbler and 3 others like this.
  2. Mij

On the news yesterday they reported that only 15% of Canadians got their updated Covid vaccines this fall, and when I shared this with the doctor who gave me my jab yesterday (no nurse in sight), he said that this wasn't exactly the case and misleading. They received plenty of calls from people who cancelled their jabs b/c they were infected with . . . Covid.

Ash, AliceLily, bobbler and 7 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given everything, that it even crossed double digit % is above my expectations.

I guess we're going to find out rather quickly whether the reduction in Long Covid is due to vaccination in itself, or due to recent vaccination. Medicine basically cancelled the control arm for COVID infections, their only method to assess reality, but they are giving back by also cancelling, well, everything. We'll have some of those control arms back soon enough.

What a bizarre period. Truly interesting times. It feels like we're still being lead by Grok-he-who-bashes-more-heads-than-you. But only for health. The rest is basically space age that isn't evenly distributed. Health is just stuck in time, with the old ways and old thinking.

Wonko, Binkie4, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  4. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just passing this on cuz.

My wife got her third Covid vaccine a month ago. I declined because of annoying paperwork I had to fill last time, otherwise I probably would have gotten another one as well. We had guests stay over. A couple of days after those guest left, my wife tested Covid positive. I tested positive two days later. She grew quite ill, and is still struggling. I felt a couple sniffles and had a scratchy throat, both of which have disappeared.

My wife will have to endure my ribbing for a long time.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Ah, the old n = 1 gloating. I assume she also has your sympathy.

Ash, Wonko, Wits_End and 3 others like this.
  6. duncan

Sure. Irony and all aside, my overriding sensation is puzzlement. Why didn't the vaccine protect her; weeks had passed before exposure to other earthlings? Why didn't it mitigate her symptoms to minor annoyances as mine were in its absence?

"Shit happens" aside, it really is counter-intuitive. Serendipity vs Science can be fun, though.

AliceLily, bobbler, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  7. Mij

The vaccine would have protected her from possibly becoming hospitalized and death? We don't know why some of us only experience minor symptoms or no symptoms at all.

My coughing, sore throat, loss of appetite, leg muscle fatigue symptoms disappeared after 3 1/2 weeks, only to come back a few weeks later after I went for a long walk. I was vaccinated.

Ash, AliceLily, Wonko and 7 others like this.
  8. Mij

My sister works at a research hospital in Saudi and they are only providing the flu vaccine. There are 5 doctors sick with Covid.

Ash, AliceLily, Wonko and 5 others like this.
  9. duncan

Yes, which is what I told her. I didn't tell her about any concerns I have about LC. It's sad we who know relatively so much about it have to worry about those close to us that do not (irrespective of vaccination).

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
    AliceLily, bobbler, Wonko and 4 others like this.
  10. Mij

Moved posts

I received my 6th Covid vaccine a couple of weeks ago and I'm not sure if the vaccine is causing more weakness/fatigue in my leg muscles after contracting Covid one year ago. I got my 5th vaccine back in May and the same thing happened. I eventually went back to baseline after the 5th but it took a few months.

I didn't have any issues after the 1,2 3 and 4th vaccines.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2024
    Ash, AliceLily, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  11. Mij

Correction, I had a big issue with the 4th vaccine b/c I had it the day after I contracted Covid.

Ash, AliceLily, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  12. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had my 6th vaccination two weeks ago - the new Pfizer monovalent XBB.1.5 - and had no side effects, not even the usual sore arm this time.

Ash, AliceLily, MeSci and 8 others like this.
  13. Mij

@oldtimer

I've heard the same thing from friend and sister, no soreness. I did have soreness for 2.5 days and considered that it might be b/c I've been lifting light weights on and off for a few months. I was fine for 2 wks since the vaccine but not so good after I went for my usual 45 minute walk. The recovery is taking longer, not PEM at all, but deep fatigue in leg and arm muscles. Same thing happened after my last vaccine the end of last May.

Ash, AliceLily, bobbler and 5 others like this.
  14. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been holding out from getting my next Covid vaccine until the end of this month due to an operation coming up at the end of Feb/early March. Mask wearing and sanitizing hands often have worked very well for me.

I have not caught Covid or a cold. I usually take a bus or train nearly everyday for a short outing, so I feel confident the mask and sanitizing are doing a great job.

I read in the paper this morning that here in New Zealand we lost 1300 people last year to Covid. Three times our road toll. Also, 12.000 were hospitalized. New Zealand population is just over 5 million, in case anyone interested in a rounded stat

MeSci, Arnie Pye, Sean and 7 others like this.
  15. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had my 6th Pfizer vaccine on Saturday, 2 days ago. I was told that it was the same vaccine I had for my 5th jab.

I had a slight headache for 2 days. A very sore arm yesterday which is now coming right. A bit of sleepiness. I can't recall anything else of note.

Ash, Wonko, mango and 9 others like this.
  16. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Private Novavax vaccines for UK over 12s for £45 reported to be available from April:

MailOnline:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...-roll-out-scheme/ar-BB1hC0WQ?ocid=socialshare

Now you'll be able to pay for a Covid vaccine privately! Chemists will sell top-up jabs to anyone for £45 under major shake-up of roll-out scheme

Story by Emily Stearn, Health Reporter For Mailonline • 5h

• Unlike flu jabs, Covid jabs have only been offered to those eligible on the NHS
    • Pharmadoctor aims to launch the service across the UK by April 'at the latest'
    Chemists will start offering Covid vaccines privately, with Brits able to buy them for as little as £45 within weeks.

Throughout the pandemic, jabs have only been available on the NHS.

But under a huge shake-up to the scheme, high street pharmacies will begin selling them by April 1 at the latest.

Brits will be able to start booking their appointments from this weekend, MailOnline understands...

Supplies will be of the Novavax vaccine, as opposed to ones made by AstraZeneca , Pfizer and Moderna. Although Pharmadoctor said it will expand its catalogue 'as more vaccines become licensed for the private market'

(...)

The change was announced today by Pharmadoctor, a clinical service provider, which works with more than 8,000 pharmacies across the UK.

A spokesperson also told trade publication Chemist and Druggist: 'For the first-time ever, members of the public will be able to pop into their local independent pharmacy to get a private Covid jab for as little as £45.'

On its website, Pharmadoctor adds: 'Book your appointment now to beat the rush.'

Anyone over the age of 12 will be able to buy the jab, MailOnline understands.

Pharmadoctor said it will expand its catalogue 'as more vaccines become licensed for the private market'.

Moderna has already publicly said it is seeking to offer its jab privately. Pfizer is said to be exploring its options, too.

Full report

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2024
    Ash, Wonko, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  17. Dx Revision Watch

18. Dx Revision Watch

Only a very few pharmacies are currently taking early registration. Presumably more will be available over the coming weeks.

19. Dx Revision Watch

Pfizer to offer private Covid jabs from next month. Moderna to offer private Covid jabs for Autumn 2024.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/pfizer-covid-jab-vaccine-sold-boots-b2493619.html

‘Covid has not gone away’: Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine to be sold on the high street

The jab, which is suitable for people aged 12 and over, will be sold in pharmacies and private health clinics
    Jane Kirby

9 February 2024

The Pfizer/BioNTech Covid jab will be sold in UK high street pharmacies from next month.

Pharmaceutical giant Pfizer is in talks with major pharmacy chains, such as Boots, to sell the vaccine to people who cannot get one on the NHS.

The price will be set by individual pharmacies – much in the way prices are currently set for annual flu jabs...

...A spokeswoman for Moderna said it was looking to supply Covid-19 vaccines to healthcare providers for private sales in time for autumn 2024.

-------------------------

Once again, over 75 cohort for Spring Covid vaccination. So my husband will get one but I won't, unless I pay privately or unless I can get one now that I have registered with my GP practice as providing some personal care for him.

It would not surprise me if Autumn 2024 NHS eligibility is more restrictive than last Autumn.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1755530660163256353

A spring Covid vaccination will be offered to people at highest risk of serious illness following advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI). The NHS will confirm how and when eligible people can get this vaccination.

More: https://gov.uk/government/news/jcvi-advises-on-eligible-groups-for-2024-spring-covid-19-vaccine

Sean, Ash, Peter Trewhitt and 5 others like this.
  20. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems public health is not public anymore .