Coyne’s open letter to the National Health and Research Medical Centre (NHMRC) of Australia

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Cheshire, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Skycloud, Obermann, sea and 24 others like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent letter.

MEMarge, Melanie and Andy like this.
  3. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Go James

MEMarge, Melanie and Andy like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting. I don't really know enough about the Australian situation to comment. I think Cochrane have been shit though. I can't believe that they've still not corrected the already published Larun review, and are now doing a new one from Larun, co-authoring with White, Chalder, Wearden, etc.

Andy, Valentijn, Webdog and 1 other person like this.
  5. Justy

Justy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good he has written this, but it is full of typos and errors, which is a shame. Needs a good proofread, hopefully the original letter was not as error ridden.

Webdog, Esther12, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I believe I'm right in saying that he has said publicly that he is dyslexic so the errors probably come from that. Yes, a proofread by someone else would do wonders but I could well imagine that having to wait for someone to proofread his work would get very annoying for him.

Scarecrow, Esther12, Viola and 3 others like this.
  7. Justy

Justy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didnt know that about his dyslexia, so feel a bit wrong having pointed it out now.

Andy and Valentijn like this.
  8. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From a reading of the letter, I think there were considerable time constraints in play e.g. he began by saying he hoped it reached them in time to be considered and there was a mention of Dec 7th. This may have meant it went off in a rush.

9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Always worth pointing out problems/errors imo, regardless of what causes them. It's not like you were being remotely cruel about it!

Justy, Trish, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  10. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like that he mentioned MCRI, as they are highly respected in Australia and one of the authors of the pediatric primer is a researcher there (Katherine Rowe).