1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Crowdfunding: Trial By Error: Reporting on ME, CFS, ME/CFS, "Medically Unexplained Symptoms," and now Long Covid, April 2022

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Trish, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Trial By Error: Reporting on ME, CFS, ME/CFS, "Medically Unexplained Symptoms," and now Long Covid
    Dr David Tuller

https://crowdfund.berkeley.edu/project/31347

As in previous years, April is crowdfunding month at the University of California, Berkeley, and I am once again seeking funds to continue my work on ME (including iterations), “medically unexplained symptoms,” and now long Covid. I hope to raise $67,000 in tax-deductible donations to Berkeley to cover the Center for Global Health's costs for my position from July through December of this year. Given increases in costs for the academic year starting July 1st, I have raised the goal from $64,000 in last fall’s campaign. This breaks down to salary ($44,000), benefits ($16,000, mostly for health insurance), and Berkeley's 7.5 % gift fee (around $5,000)

A Short Recap

Many or most of you reading this will likely be familiar with some of my work, but here's a short recap. I launched the "Trial By Error" series with a 15,000-word investigation of the disastrous PACE trial, published on Virology Blog in October, 2015. By now, I have written hundreds of blog posts about that piece of crap and other aspects of these issues not only in the UK but in the US, the Netherlands, Norway, Finland and many other countries.

Before the pandemic, I had figured I’d end this project after the UK’s National Institute for Health and Care Excellence released its new ME/CFS guidelines. That finally happened last October. The new guidelines aren't perfect but nonetheless represent an enormous improvement and a welcome reversal of the discredited psycho-behavioral approach championed by the so-called “experts” in the field. But the advent of long Covid seems to have interfered with my plans!

To anyone involved in the ME and ME/CFS world, it was clear that the coronavirus pandemic was likely to trigger a wave of post-viral illness—and that these patients would likely be treated with similar dismissiveness as ME/CFS patients have for decades. And that is exactly what has happened. I wrote about this issue in a piece published last month by Codastory.com, which addressed how even physicians with long Covid are being advised by their own doctors and colleagues that their symptoms are related to pandemic-related stress, anxiety and depression—and not to any ongoing physiological dysfunction. I recently posted about a high-profile study of an exercise-based rehabilitation treatment for long Covid that does not include any mention of post-exertional malaise in its protocol, participant information sheet and consent form. This is not acceptable.

Given the speed of events, it is hard to predict exactly what will be coming up in the next six months. I will certainly continue to smack down more bad research on psychobehavioral interventions for ME/CFS, “MUS,” and long Covid. My output for this project is a combination of posting on Virology Blog, writing articles for various news organizations, and working on academic papers for peer review. I also expect to be posting more video interviews with people involved in the field.

2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

my first email today from berkley done and dusted .value for money considering shining a spotlight on the very poor work of our least favourite researchers is every bit as important as any other advocacy work imo

Hutan, ladycatlover, rainy and 19 others like this.
  3. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks!! As I've said many times, this crowdfunding is among my least favorite things to do. I wish I could figure out another method of funding my work, but I haven't come up with one. Unfortunately, it's not the kind of project that gets funded by major donors and foundations.

Barry, Hutan, livinglighter and 18 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Hutan, ladycatlover, nick2155 and 9 others like this.
  5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, ladycatlover, rainy and 9 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

ladycatlover, nick2155, rainy and 8 others like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I shall donate later in the month, given this is a very strange year and I need to assess what I can donate, to where, a bit nearer payday. But will definitely contribute, as always, given how important and worthwhile it is.

8. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. MeSci

$23,368 raised, 34% funded, 18 days left.

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Made my first donation today. Another one next pay. :thumbsup:

12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

alktipping, MEMarge, Lilas and 7 others like this.
  15. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's going to have to be this Fri for me.

16. Starlight

Starlight Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Forgetting lots of things these days but would go mad if forgot this one. Tonight.

17. MeSci

MSEsperanza, nick2155, Lilas and 3 others like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

My payday this Thursday.

19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

20. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:nailbiting: