Curcumin Improves Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness and Postexercise Lactate Accumulation, 2020, Mallard et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19390211.2020.1796885

2. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This isn’t the thread I was looking for, but seems to be a good enough place to add my comment.

My n=1 try-it-&-see test of a Turmeric, Curcumin, Ginger & Black Pepper supplement seems to be strongly reducing my PEM type symptoms, most especially muscle weakness and pain.

Is it a cure?
    Nope.

Might I just be in an upswing, and this happens to be “the thing” I’m currently exploring?
    Of course that is a distinct possibility!!! :laugh:

I will continue to monitor, but for now at least these capsules (photo) seem worth taking.

Other things that help me (or at least I haven’t abandoned as useless):
    -Magnesium supplement
    -Low carb eating (not Keto)
    -Coffee (though truth be told I was onto this pre-ME).

PS Oh And I’m still finishing every shower with cold water. Now easy to do, and feels like a relief when I do it. Maybe I’m just weird!! LOL.

IMG_8529.jpeg

Sean, tmrw, Trish and 2 others like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is a claim, and I have not looked into it, that black pepper increases the bioavailability of turmeric. Turmeric is the spice curcumin comes from. This might explain why black pepper is being added to curcumin supplements.

Nellie, Sean, Keela Too and 1 other person like this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the theories behind why saunas might help ME, going back to the 90s, is that an autonomic jolt as temperature changes (but jumping in a pool after a sauna when you have ME might be very dangerous) might assist the brain to adapt. Its an old theory, and I am not sure its right.

Nellie, Sean, Keela Too and 1 other person like this.
  5. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, what I've read is that curcumin by itself is almost completely destroyed by the digestive tract. Piperine from black pepper helps a bit. But there a various proprietary formulations that supercharge the bioavailability, many of which have been used in many studies assessing bioavailability and therapeutic effect for various conditions.

Copying a post I made on Pheonix Rising:

shak8 and Keela Too like this.
  6. Keela Too

Yes I had heard that too and it was one of the reasons I chose this supplement

7. Keela Too

I was recently able to use a steamroom with a cold shower outside it. That was lovely and I found both the warmth and the cold (which I stood under for several minutes) very soothing. Very pleasant all round.

But my husband who’s not used to cold showers couldn’t step under the cold at all! It’s definitely something to acclimatise to.

Oh and I don’t think plunging into cold is ever good. I wet the extremities first, then my face & neck, then chest and lastly my back.

Nellie and Trish like this.
  8. Keela Too

Thank you. I will take a look