Deep phenotyping of post-infectious myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, 2024, Walitt et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by pooriepoor91, Feb 21, 2024.

1. tommybrand

tommybrand Established Member

Holy—I can’t believe we waited 8 years for this.

So, a bunch of the patients in the study ended up recovering completely, and most of them barely get PEM.. Makes me wonder if they're just studying people who can shake off a post-viral fatigue easier than others. You know, the kind who might get better with stuff like graded exercise or the Lightning Process. Where psychological intervention may be the treatment, because you’re not that sick.

They didn't even bother to look into how patients handle PEM. Plus, the participants were mild enough to go through all their tests. How does that even start to cover what it's like for those with moderate to severe ME/CFS, who are mostly bedridden and hit PEM pretty much anytime they push too hard?

I can't help feeling like this whole study misses the mark. Eight years down the drain on what feels like the wrong crowd, wrong criteria and wrong methods. Where's the 2-day CPETs, or checking out what happens during a PEM flare-up? Where is the common sense?

This just feels like a massive step backward for the community. It's frustrating to think about how much longer people will suffer because this ‘study of the decade’ completely dropped the ball on wanting to understand what ME/CFS really is about.

On a curious note, has anyone here ever mapped out what a study really should consist of, in terms of criteria and methods? And is anyone in the scientific community actually following up on this? Or are we just holding on to the long covid crowd and hoping they will find the answer? I’m struggling to see the roadmap and way forward from here.

ukxmrv, EzzieD, Perrier and 6 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I have a slightly different understanding. During a sustained activity I'll experience rapid muscle fatiguability, pain and OI; if I keep going there are likely to be additional symptoms, such as nausea, dizziness, breathlessness. If I was rested beforehand, it's not PEM. But I still understand it to be part of the phenomenon of exercise intolerance, as it's clearly an abnormal response to low-level effort in a person with no cardiac or respiratory disease.

My understanding isn't necessarily the same as everyone else's, of course!

andypants, Fero, rvallee and 12 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I disagree. See my previous post.

Again, a problem, see my last post. We can't push through every task. Symptoms increase and debility increases during tasks, nothing to do with effort whatever or deconditioning. They need to recognise the effects of fatigability/exertion intolerance during and for minutes and hours after all activity as well as delayed PEM following increased activity.

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Except that they then say it might be jolly good to add them in to the immune treatments in a nice personalised mixture dreamt up by the 'expert' clinician.

ukxmrv, rvallee, obeat and 17 others like this.
  5. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of course. I was not saying there weren't. But redefining PEM as "feelings of discomfort" and then virtually ignoring PEM is a pretty big problem and the choice of method to identify PEM is just one facet of that problem.

ukxmrv, Fero, rvallee and 11 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Indeed they have. Every study is different but the DecodeME study put a lot of effort into getting the criteria, numbers and recruitment right for its particular purpose. There is also an ongoing project to tidy up generally applicable criteria which includes sensible people with a lot of relevant experience.

The NIH intramural study always looked to me like a camel designed by a committee. A good fMRI study on its own would have been excellent. A serious muscle study like that of Wust on a decent number would have been good. The idea that you can measure everything and solve a problem is never a good approach.

ukxmrv, ahimsa, Ron and 16 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

I am sure that happens, but an increase in symptoms and increasing debility are seen in almost any condition limiting exertion capacity. It occurs in heart, respiratory, kidney and liver failure, multiple sclerosis and so on. PEM later seems to be much more specific. I guess it may never have been clear in anyone's mind whether the EI of SEID is intended to relate to this general sort of intolerance at the time, which of course applies to sound and light intolerance in ME, or the PEM payback sort of intolerance. They probably need quite different routes of investigation.

ukxmrv, andypants, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  8. Mfairma

Mfairma Established Member (Voting Rights)

Holy hell. This is more nakedly preposterous than I could have imagined. To not define, identify, and measure the cardinal symptom of the illness properly and then conclude the paper with some vague garbage suggestive of old central sensitization theories is so far beyond unforgivable.

I’m beating a dead horse, but any preference or unconscious feelings about exercise or activity have no relation to what drives ME. We were all disabled from the moment of onset, before we even knew we were sick. Most of us became so much sicker not knowing that exercise was harmful, not having a negative association with activity.

My first experience of PEM was after climbing Mt. Washington and rock climbing a ~500 ft bluff only a day or so later. The impacts were terrible, physically, but especially cognitively. I struggled to send even basic emails in the days after, when just weeks before I could get through LSAT practice exams (even if my cognition had already measurably worsened). It was unlike anything I’d experienced, and I climbed Mount Fuji the year previously, also with no preparation and in roughly the same physical condition.

Even with those impacts, I didn’t realize exercise or activity might have any connection to my symptoms until months later. By that point the physical and cognitive impacts had worsened and it only took an hour of mixed aerobic & anaerobic exercise to leave me significantly more disabled the rest of the evening and in the days after. And even then, I didn’t stop exercising entirely. I continued rock climbing, but switched to bouldering, where I would climb a route (10-20 seconds activity) and then rest for 10-15 minutes until my heart rate came down to baseline. I continued to do this even after I had to leave work, my mom driving me to the facility. The PEM it produced grew over time and I eventually stopped. I never did expand my energy envelope even as my skill improved.

edit: I should add that once I left work, I rested for days before and after for this to be even remotely sustainable.

ukxmrv, Fero, Lidia Thompson and 14 others like this.
  9. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it a positive message?

FND and BPS have never had any issue being internally inconsistent and filled to the brim with hypocrisy and cryptic terms that have different meanings depending on the context. Saying the illness is real and organic, or that nothing is wrong with the patient and everything is imagined based on the context and their political needs.

If the issue is the unwillingness to put in effort, CBT is the obvious treatment. And even if doctors get the memo that CBT/GET doesn't work (instead of thinking it was a result of political pressure by patient orgs) the fact that the illness is described in these terms will solidify what everybody already thinks: that it is mostly just false perceptions about one can do and that there is no real need to drive resources and talent to this area when people are suffering and dying from "real" diseases.

ME is competing for funding with thousands of deadly and horrible illnesses. With a study like this one reinforcing these kind of stereotypes, it becomes increasingly unlikely that ME will get significant funding in the years to come.

This study was supposed to set the record straight and leverage on the authority of the NIH to make the world understand what ME really is. It did the opposite, it reinforced the pre existing stereotypes, only with a sprinkle of "we had to write this is organic and CBT doesn't work otherwise the patients would complain". Journalists might get fooled, the neurologists and medical professionals in charge of managing disease funding won't.

ukxmrv, Hutan, Zombie Lurker and 12 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I wasn't suggesting exertion intolerance/fatiguability are unique to ME/CFS. I was responding to the suggestion by @dave30th and others that the only thing stopping us exerting is anticipation that it might trigger later PEM. I experience both exertion intolerance and PEM. I agree they need to be recognised as different and researched as such.

11. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Mfairma If you think about it more clearly, you will find you aren't beating a dead horse, it's just that the horse is not preferring effort to its current state.
    ;)

ukxmrv, Zombie Lurker, Ron and 12 others like this.
  12. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't this wishful thinking though?

Action is a consequence of will. Or should we say, effort follows effort preference...

In the past 40 years, the medical establishment has had very little effort preference towards studying and funding ME. Mostly because it was perceived as an issue of the patients having a preference towards not doing things that require effort, instead of a real illness. Laypeople would call it being lazy. You know, "we are all tired when we don't wanna do something".

Given that this paper did not dispel that stereotype, and in fact reinforced it, do we seriously expect that cheering on the NIH with this study will magically give us that $200 million a year other diseases have, after decades of disrespect, contempt and neglect?

ukxmrv, Fero, Lidia Thompson and 6 others like this.
  13. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's interesting to go back to the Phoenix Rising threads. Here's some excerpts from one of my posts in March 2017, complaining about including Walitt and a number of other overtly psychosomatic believers in the trial staff. It looks like, to start with, the NIH were suggesting that Walitt was just managing the admin of the trial, the logistics of getting people places. Then he was collecting patient data.

And now it turns out that Walitt wasn't just the admin person at all, or even the person just collecting initial data from participants. Here he is, first named author on a paper that is exactly as full of psychosomatic vagueness and misrepresentation of data as we might have expected from him.

ukxmrv, horton6, Lucibee and 36 others like this.
  14. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes, they do suggest that they could be helpful as supportive treatments in some way that's not really clear.

ukxmrv, EzzieD, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  15. dave30th

I don't think I said that, and if I implied it, I didn't mean to. I certainly don't think that the only thing preventing it is a mental anticipation. What I said was that even if patients could do push through, it doesn't mean there's not damage--I criticized the logic of their claim. I also said that the main payback seems to be after exertion, not during, given that the performance on CPET tests tends to be similar on Day 1. That's not saying that patients can't get depleted during the activity and be unable to continue. Of course they can. If what I wrote implied otherwise, I'm sorry!

16. dave30th

I agree the impacts of the language are likely to be very problematic. But yes, I do think it's a positive--in the relative sense--that they have pegged the causes on immune dysfunction and dismiss CBT as curative even if they use very, very unhelpful and ambiguous terms.

ukxmrv, Binkie4, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  17. dave30th

I agree! I didn't say that people could push through every task. The point I was trying to make was that even if someone is able to push through a task, it doesn't mean it's a good idea. I wasn't saying anything about all the times that people can't push through.

But that reminds me of a review I once read about a new but apparently not good Toni Collette movie. (I love her!). The review started out something like this: "Toni Collette is the kind of actress who can probably play anything she wants. But that doesn't mean that she should."

ukxmrv, ahimsa, rainy and 9 others like this.
  18. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Adam pwme you have some contacts in the Lyme & Log covid communities i.e. via Twitter. Since Nath [NIH] reckons ME/CFS, Lyme & Log covid are basically the same then there may be an opportunity to join forces to lobby for a "good fMRI study" & "serious muscle study like that of Wust". The NIH ME/CFS Research Roadmap may be a useful vehicle to propose those.

ukxmrv, Lidia Thompson, obeat and 4 others like this.
  19. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmmm - does this muddy the waters just enough for Cochrane...

Sid, RedFox, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  20. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ukxmrv, Hutan, Moosie and 10 others like this.