Deep phenotyping of post-infectious myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, 2024, Walitt et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by pooriepoor91, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is possible I suppose. I checked and here is an earlier comment by the same account:
    https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/clinical-areas/neurology/poor-mental-health-increases-long-covid-risk-finds-study/

Poor mental health increases long Covid risk, finds study

Matt Hancock
    9 September, 2022 9:53 pm
    Dont think this is rocket science. Add it to the list with fibro , me etc

Sean, shak8, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't think he'll be mistaken for someone who knows anything about anything, TBH.

Michelle, EzzieD, Sean and 5 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yes, catechols were measured in the CSF.

I get confused when sympathetic nerve function gets mentioned. But, just looking at Parkinsons patients who appear to tend to have lowish levels of some of the catechols, they also seem to have low heart rate variability*. So, it's not impossible to have both, and perhaps these things are even connected. People with ME/CFS seem to tend to have low heart rate variability.

Not that I'm trying to suggest there's a coherent story around the catechols, because mostly, an ME/CFS result in the Walitt et al study was not distinguishable from a healthy control result. Have I understood your question?

* Association Between Heart Rate Variability and Parkinson's Disease: A Meta-analysis

alktipping, bobbler, butter. and 3 others like this.
  4. Evergreen

Evergreen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep, he absolutely could be the kind of know-it-all-but-have-no-clue we all need to avoid, but since the same genuinely has been reported for both conditions he mentions, I wouldn't indict him just on these comments. I suspect that if he expanded on his comments, it would become abundantly clear that your interpretation is correct! But since he hasn't, I'd wait to see a third.

5. Dolphin

I'm not convinced that there is good evidence that poor mental health increases the risk of ME/CFS, though as you say it has been reported.
    I think a lot or all of the studies that found this had the flaw that people could have been ill with ME/CFS but undiagnosed at that stage rather than truly being preillness.

This would cause problems in 2 ways:
    (i) if you're not diagnosed, symptoms could be misdiagnosed as mental health problems
    (ii) if you're not diagnosed but you are ill with ME/CFS, it's very stressful. It's quite likely you will have to work or study full-time and you are probably unlikely to be able to access many disability accommodations.

I remember Peter White did a study but didn't mention these possibilities.

Michelle, EzzieD, Sean and 12 others like this.
  6. Evergreen

Evergreen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh you don't need to convince me of that!

7. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My ME doesn't involve a reduction in physical ability, so I'm basically as active as I was before ME, possibly more so, since I live in an area that encourages long hikes and bike rides, plus necessary chores (moving 100+ wheelbarrows of soil each year to patch my driveway, plus cutting and handling firewood). So, no deconditioning involved here.

Sean, Starlight, Kitty and 1 other person like this.
  8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been able to keep some level of fitness during my 32 year M.E career as long as I stay within my energy limits. I even pass people walking on the side walk.

Sean, RedFox, Starlight and 2 others like this.
  9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't like is the focus on deconditioning. I often feel like I'm under the influence of a mildly toxic sedative. This has nothing to do with deconditioning. I suspect this is some low grade neuroinflammation. It is very hard to get any meaningful work done when affected this way, even when no muscles are involved. I'm significantly impaired before muscles even come into play. At the muscle level, if I'm affected, the muscles will tire quickly and be unable to perform as well, and this is a fluctuating effect which also seems inconsistent with deconditioning. There is without a doubt some loss of strength and endurance due to low activity but it's not something that should be emphasized when it's a lesser downstream effect (at least for me).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    Hutan, Chezboo, rvallee and 11 others like this.
  10. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mm.From some metabolic studies If females preferentially use amino acids as a base fuel if glycolysis is compromised would this down regulate fatty acids ( males seem to pop referentially use fats )
    Or is this not a consequence

11. Lidia Thompson

Lidia Thompson Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Lidia Thompson

Lidia Thompson Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Dolphin

There were four comments, now there are two though one still focuses on the Walitt comments.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Copy of tweet:

Fero, EzzieD, chillier and 14 others like this.
  15. Eddie

Eddie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Its not quite that, its more like we aren't going to try and objectively measure PEM (for the reasons given) but instead going to measure lots of things to see if we can find something that could be causing PEM. Of course they failed to make any real progress towards that goal.

Because they had Walitt in charge of the paper and they didn't want to admit they spent 8 million and 7 years to fail to find an answer. Perhaps the 2 day CPET results are less established that I would have thought. However, there have been 15+ 2 day CPET studies run with around 500 people in total (from Me Action and adding the Hanson study). If these studies failed to establish the 2-day CPET as a fact, then a 17 person study at the NIH would have added almost nothing. I'm with you that a much larger 2 day CEPT study would be useful in confirming or refuting these results. However, there are so many results I want to see confirmed and its hard to fault Nath for not running a completely different study. Would a 300 person 2-day CPET have been more useful in hindsight? Probably. But I can only say that because they didn't get more interesting results.

Until we have a good idea of what PEM actually is, it is going to be hard to objectively ensure that all the patients had PEM. Maybe for you and me our POTS gets objectively worse, but none of these participants had POTS (still unclear why) and I not sure what other measurable things you are talking about. As far as I'm concerned the people selecting the patients had a desire to appropriately select people with ME/CFS. Also if someone who has been diagnosed with ME/CFS says and acts like they have PEM, I'm inclined to take them at their word. Yes, it is a concern that the patients had less severe PEM than some, but that is always going to be the case for a study like this.

My guess is that they thought they were doing a deep dive on the pathology of PEM (or at least why people say they feel worse after exertion) with the tests on the days after the CPET. They did run lots of tests, unfortunately in hindsight they weren't looking in the right places or with advanced enough tech because they didn't find much. I agree this study was hyped up far too much for what they found and that is obviously very disappointing to me.

Kitty, EzzieD, bobbler and 8 others like this.
  16. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I spent a year on and off reading and interviewing before finally publishing my initial 15,000-word investigation of PACE. Added: As @Dolphin might remember!

Chezboo, Lilas, shak8 and 11 others like this.
  17. siobhanfirestone

siobhanfirestone Established Member (Voting Rights)

on medication im very much able to weight lift and ive become quite strong over the last year
    tell someone who can lift 25kg+ as a smaller woman that they are deconditioned when most lift <20kg lol

18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Ideally you would want enough patients to split them into two groups, those who did a single CPET, and those who did the 2 test version.

Finding any differences, or lack of them, could have been useful. Most likely the main difference, if any, would have just been one of degree, with the 2 test group results being significantly worse.

Kitty, EzzieD, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I walk significantly faster now than before I got sick. Best I can tell it is because I had to instinctively recalibrate the optimal relationship between factors like energy reserve and expenditure, haemodynamics, balance and coordination, and momentum. With momentum being the main compensating variable under my control. An increase in momentum helping to reduce the amount of effort required to manage the other factors.

Fero, shak8, Mij and 6 others like this.
  20. Eddie

Eddie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What do you mean by finding any differences? What are you comparing between the people did 1 CPET vs 2? The people who did the 1 day would still have PEM you just wouldn't pick it up on the 2nd CPET assuming a difference really does occur.

Kitty and Peter Trewhitt like this.