1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Discord banned a ME/CFS server

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Jaybee00, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They banned an MECFS server with 500 members and a nootropics server with 1500 members (many with MECFS) as well as well as many/most of the accounts.

MeSci, DokaGirl and Ariel like this.
  2. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There’s something a little perturbing about subreddits getting very excited about nootropics that other nootropics subreddits are simply too square and conventional to even imagine. A quick look at r/nootropicsfrontline doesn’t assuage that disquiet much.

CRG, Ash and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  3. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hopefully shouldn’t be too hard to self host an instance of one of those open source chat platforms.

I don’t really care what the content is, I think the implications of certain (non illegal) communities being banned from these services is pretty grim.

sebaaa, Ariel, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  4. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The whole 'the world isn't ready for this information' schtick makes me wary. Conspiracy theories and harmful medical advice proliferate in such spaces.

My bet is that Discord is purging those alt-med spaces that encourage unsupervised drug use (or drug use of any kind).

They may want to avoid lawsuits (they may want to avoid liability for any disasters that occur due to advice given on those servers), or they may be taking a responsible stance to curb the spread of misinformation in the wake of COVID.

It may also be a step to prevent guerilla marketing by shady nootropic sellers. There's no regulation of what's happening in spaces like that, which increases the risks.

Hutan, sebaaa, lunarainbows and 15 others like this.
  5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You could invite the ME/CFS patients to come here.

6. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Having experience with Discord, I'm surprised pwME can cope with it. It drives me potty trying to work out who's replied to what, and the colours are horrendous.

7. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

100%
    it is exceedingly difficult to find the threads (channels) you are looking for in Discords with hundreds of channels.

Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I use Discord regularly, but there are at most only a few people on the channel, and usually only two of us. Used carefully its useful. We use it primarily for gaming.

Any voice chat situation with a lot of people is typically a problem, and not just Discord.

Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  9. RenWmn

RenWmn New Member

I'm hoping to get more information on the "500 members MECFS server". I participate regularly in a lot of chronic illness discord servers. Some are MECFS focused other are more broadly focused. Discord groups have become important support systems for many people with chronic illness and/or disability. Loosing those communities would be devastating for many people.

I don't know a lot about the Nootropics Frontline community but it does sound like they were promoting some really experimental medical treatments? Also wondering if Discord thought they were associated with "American Frontline Doctors" which spread COVID misinformation.

So was the MECFS community discussing anything controversial? Does anyone know how/why they got on Discord's radar?

Just read an article on Discord changing their TOS to start moderating medical misinformation:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/25/22950432/discord-new-privacy-policy-community-guidelines

it is important to know why certain communities were banned so that many of us can protect the existing communities.

10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum @RenWmn
    I thought that line from the Discord Guidelines was interesting. So people with ME/CFS and Long Covid are theoretically protected from hate speech.

11. RenWmn

RenWmn New Member

So I've done a lot of research in the past day to try to discover why certain medically related discord servers were banned. First off, this is not a judgement on anyone who were banned or their communities. I won't be sharing specific community names or people. I'm sharing this information solely so people can know how to protect their discord communities and personal user accounts.

From what I gathered, back in January of this year Discord banned certain servers AND any of the server members that participated in any server discussions. The reason seems to be blatant coordinated efforts for buying, selling, and trading medications. It sounds like these were wide spread practices on these servers. It wasn't just discussing medications or treatments. It wasn't because they were chronic illness related servers. It sounds like people didn't have to be directly involved in these specific practices on the server, just participating in any way on the server was enough to get banned. There was an ME/CFS discord server that lost their admin, moderator and members from these bans, but that server is still there. The bans don't seem to be related with their participation on the ME/CFS server but participating in servers that engaged in the activities mentioned above.

I welcome anyone correcting this information. I'm just trying to get to the truth.

Mithriel, Lilas, cfsandmore and 4 others like this.
  12. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds like a reasonable theory to me. I moderate a Discord server and Discord is relatively strict about what it allows to go on through its platform.

Mithriel, RenWmn, Lilas and 3 others like this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

For those like me completely ignorant about Discord and about nootropics, here are a couple of articles I've found helpful:

Nootropics are drugs and herbals that people are experimenting with to try to achieve cognitive enhancement. The most common purpose seems to be students to try to do better in exams, and older people worried about losing cognitive function with age.
    https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/features/nootropics-smart-drugs-overview

Beginners guide to Discord:
    https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045138571-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Discord
    It's a platform for gamers to talk to each other and other groups to communicate. It seems to be a variation on forums, slack, reddit, facebook etc.

Mithriel, RenWmn, Lilas and 3 others like this.
  14. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought nootropic might refer to those people who find anything south of Normandy too hot.

But it seems:
    Etymology
    Coined in 1972 by Dr. Corneliu E. Giurgea, derived from the Ancient Greek words νόος(nóos, “mind”) and τροπέω (tropéō, “to turn”). Equivalent to noos +‎ -tropic.

In other words mind-bending.
    An example given - coffee.

Well there's a thing.

FMMM1, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.