1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does PEM contribute to POTS?

Discussion in 'Orthostatic intolerance' started by chelby, Oct 18, 2019.

1. chelby

chelby Established Member

Wondering if PEM itself contributes to POTS.

I remember reading Prof Neil McGregor's studies showing PEM involves a hypermetabolic state where we urinate out metabolites. Does anyone know if this contributes to orthostatic intolerance / lowered blood volume?

2. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know about the physiology behind it, but some personal observations after 18 months of HR monitoring.

When I go into PEM my resting HR goes up (can be by as much as 35bpm), and my upright tachycardia is worse.

But there is a point when I've overdone it too badly, where although my resting HR stays high, my upright HR doesn't rise as much as usual.
    Although my HR looks more 'normal', I usually feel much worse.

When I was going for my Tilt Table Test, I was concerned about the effort of getting to the hospital for the appointment would push me into that second stage.
    It did push my resting HR up to 90bpm at the hospital and even though they monitor you lying down for a while before starting the tilt it didn't drop.
    My morning resting HR in bed had been 69, but I still managed to fit the POTS criteria from 90bpm.

I can't really use HR monitoring as described by Workwell and others, as I'd rarely be able to do anything upright and stay under my estimated threshold. Use it more just for feedback on what my tachycardia is doing.

When my resting HR is in the low 60s it is a sign that I'm doing better with pacing.

Hutan, Anna H, dangermouse and 10 others like this.
  3. MerryB

MerryB Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me, my orthostatic intolerance contributes to my PEM, and when I am in PEM my orthostatic intolerance is worse (heart rate more spiky).

I have found that treating my orthostatic intolerance has reduced the number and severity of crashes, but I still get PEM from physical activity and I can see (on my HR watch) and feel the orthostatic intolerance is worse until I have recovered from the PEM.

Hutan, alktipping, Anna H and 10 others like this.
  4. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m due to have a 24hr blood pressure monitor done (for hypotension episodes) well I’m rearranging as I’m not up to all the energy sapping appointments at this time - but, yeah my cardiologist has referred me to see if anything gets recorded, if needed she’ll prescribe something to help?? Not sure what?

alktipping, Mij, andypants and 2 others like this.
  5. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My answer is yes and no. Which isn't very helpful I know. I have been using a Garmin wrist HR monitor for a year now and have noticed that when I have severe PEM (what I call flu-y days, which are usually the result of overdoing it), I feel unbelievably ill but my POTS is improved. I rarely break the 108bpm threshold I have set on the monitor. On a 'normal' day I feel less ill but my HR goes above 108 almost every time I stand up. At these times when I have milder PEM it does seem to make the POTS worse.

6. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've added some screenshots to explain. Forgive my scrawling over them, it was so I would remember why I kept it! It probably still counts as POTS but not as severe, which seems odd given how ill I was on that day. The green lines mean >108bpm.

Attached Files:

alktipping and dangermouse like this.
  7. Forestvon

Forestvon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you get PEM from social interaction, cognitive or emotional activity too or just physical?

alktipping and dangermouse like this.
  8. MerryB

MerryB Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From all of the above, not just physical. But my worst PEM is from physical and social activity. Sitting quietly studying is more manageable. Moving, talking, too much sensory input, strong emotions, having to organise logistical things, all cause PEM for me. I will get PEM from studying too if I do too much in one day though.

9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

On PEM days, my morning resting (supine) heart rate is higher, and it takes much less activity to make it spike. Just sitting on the sofa can make it go over 120.

On PEM days, I generally have POTS - an increase in heart rate of more than 30 bpm when going from lying down to standing. When I feel relatively well, I generally do not have POTS. I have tracked these things for several periods of several months, and PEM, POTS and morning resting heart rate are definitely correlated.

jaded, Peter Trewhitt, Trish and 2 others like this.