Effects of Post-Exertional Malaise on Markers of Arterial Stiffness in Individuals with ME/CFS, Bond et al, 2021

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Effects of Post-Exertional Malaise on Markers of Arterial
    Stiffness in Individuals with Myalgic
    Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/18/5/2366/htm

Hutan, ahimsa, Michelle and 15 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Could to explain air hunger? I know nothing of exercise physiology but I assume vasodilation occurs to facilitate transportation of oxygen (amongst other things) in the blood to muscles. If this isn't happening in sufficient quantity then the bodies reaction might be to call for increased breathing rate aka "air hunger".

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as I am aware air hunger is a technical term for the deep respiration seen in metabolic acidosis. Low oxygen tension is actually quite a poor driver of respiration - which is more dependent on carbon dioxide (I was taught). During exercise increased production of CO2 produces a degree of metabolic acidosis but 'air hunger' is used to describe the resting hyperventilation seen in people with kidney disease or other forms of chronic metabolic acidosis due to poor handling of acidic molecules, including bicarbonate, in the kidney

Wonko, alktipping, Grigor and 4 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I'm referring to the type of air hunger discussed in the threads I've linked below. I've experienced this in my younger and more stupid days when doing far more than my sustainable exertion limit, the time it took for my increased breathing to return to normal was noticeably longer (and not easily explained by different levels of conditioning).

Breathlessness and air hunger in ME/CFS

Feeling of lacking air.?

Wonko, Mithriel, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In your case you are referring to shortness of breath on exertion ('SOBOE') being extended. The threads seem to more about people feeling they need to get more air unrelated to exertion. I think calling this air hunger is probably unhelpful since the term has a technical meaning. People with acidosis are often unaware of their increased respiratory rate. But I am not sure we should treat it as related to prolonged SOBOE.

If SOBOE is prolonged in ME I am not sure that would relate to this study which is looking at changes over days?
    I am not all that impressed by the background biology in this paper. Oxidative stress is something that has been blamed for lots of things for decades without much reason and I don't see any reason to raise it in ME/CFS particularly. Vascular inflammation does not make sense in the context. Inflammation is characterised by vasodilatation. Vessel wall inflammation is arteritis and would have been picked up long ago if it s was present in ME.

Wonko, Hutan, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  6. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Still being taught in physiology today.

I get periods of air hunger without doing much exertion, it doesn't feel like the need to breathe hard like I did when I went on tough hikes or bike rides.

Michelle, alktipping, Wyva and 4 others like this.
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My daughtergets airhunger during PEM. As inflamed glands are also a feature of PEM ( to the extent that you could map a physiology lecture from them) , I did wonder if it was inflamed glands in lungs which were contributing to this feeling?

8. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wonko, Hutan, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  9. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

given that the study made 24 comparisons and didn't seem to make any adjustments for multiple comparisons, the single "significant" P value of 0.03 would suggest that there is no effect here.

Wonko, Hutan, Robert 1973 and 9 others like this.
  10. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What we call air hunger is one of those symptoms which is not discussed often enough. It does not happen all the time so it would be hard to research which is a problem for a lot of the distressing things which happen.

I don't even know if what I experience is the same as other people call air hunger. It often happens when I am asleep and I will be dreaming about crawling through tight tunnels or being crushed then I waken feeling I am in danger of dying. Bending forward helps and I try to be near an open window. Each breath requires effort to draw in air. It is nothing like breathlessness from overexertion but more a problem with the mechanism of breathing.

Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I've just found this paper. I was in the study, I didn't know that the results had been published. I was in the 48 hour 2xCPET group.

It's a really small study. Only 11 participants with 'ME/CFS' in total randomised to either a 48 or 72 hour repeat CPET. And we've since found out that one of the participants had another medical condition that explains her symptoms, so almost certainly does not have ME/CFS (interestingly, she did not show the typical decline in function on the second CPET).

I'm not sure that the study was well designed to find the answer to the question it seemed to be asking. The two measurement sets were done prior to each CPET. So, for those people in the 72 hour repeat CPET group, the vascular measurements were done, they did 8 minutes of cycling and then roughly 3 days elapsed and the vascular measurements were done again. It's not surprising that nothing much would be found.

The study was messy. In the 24 hours prior to doing the CPET I had made a few days food for my son, packed my bag, walked quite long distances in the airport with plenty of standing in queues, got on a plane and travelled to another city, taxied to my accommodation and then stood by the road for a long time waiting to be picked up. I was not in a rested state at the beginning of the CPET study. (although my performance still declined on the second CPET 48 hours later relative to the first CPET).

It seems hard to believe that, in healthy controls, 8 minutes of cycling, not all of which was hard cycling, would significantly change the augmentation index, whatever that is, 48 hours later.

So, yeah, it's hard to find anything reliable in this study.

I think the issue of arterial stiffness is interesting - there have been some more recent studies suggesting it might an issue in ME/CFS and Long covid. It would be good to know if being upright and if exercising produce changes in arterial stiffness and the related measures that are different to healthy people.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    Sean, cassava7, Binkie4 and 6 others like this.