1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Efficacy of Qigong Exercise for Treatment of Fatigue: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis, 2021, Wang et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Objective: Several studies suggested that Qigong exercise (QE) can relieve fatigue in patients diagnosed with various diseases. Our review aimed to evaluate the efficacy of QE for alleviating fatigue.

Methods: A related literature search was performed in the PubMed, Web of Science, Embase, Cochrane Library, China Biology Medicine disc (CBM), China National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI), Wanfang, and VIP data bases from inception to November 2020. Information on fatigue, malaise, tiredness, and Qigong research data was collected.

Results: Sixteen randomized controlled trials (RCTs) were reported in patients with cancer (n = 4), chronic fatigue syndrome (n = 2), and other diseases (n = 10). The QE groups showed significant improvements in total fatigue intensity [15 RCTs, p < 0.00001; standard mean difference (SMD) −0.69 (−0.95 to −0.44)]. The QE groups did not show significant improvement in quality of life [4 RCTs, p = 0.08; SMD 0.53 (−0.07 to 1.14)]. The statistically significant difference of the subgroup analyses (different primary diseases, QE types, and study quality) also remained unchanged.

Conclusion: The findings of this meta-analysis indicate that QE may be beneficial for improving fatigue in patients diagnosed with various diseases. Considering the limitations of the study, we draw a very cautious conclusion regarding the resulting estimate of the effect. Further studies are warranted to better understand the benefits of QE in primary medical care.

Open access, https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmed.2021.684058/full

2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

n=2 for cfs.

My understanding of Qigong is one stands to do the exercises. OI would hamper doing these exercises.

Hutan, alktipping and Andy like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

That's two randomised controlled trials. But, unblinded with subjective outcomes.

cfsandmore and DokaGirl like this.
  4. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have heard of some Qi Gong exercises that are done sitting down.

I'm not saying I think it will help reduce ME/CFS symptoms, just passing on the info.

DokaGirl likes this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried Qi Gong and also Tai Chi as a mild patient back in the 80s I think. I got worse. I have no doubt these can help with general fatigue but I suspect many with ME will do badly.

6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've not tried Qi Gong, but a more exacting yoga, ( I can't recall the name) left me really exhausted and very sore. (This wasn't your modern day hot yoga.)

Trish likes this.