Energy production and autonomic dysfunction: how are they connected?

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Hoopoe, May 23, 2022.

1. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It started over forty years ago when I did not understand the energy problems of ME and I became very frustrated because every time I felt a bit better and did more I would get attacks of feeling ill, dizzy and confused till I finally became completely unable to move.

When I asked my GP I was told it was panic attacks which was ludicrous. I explained that it was bad if I did not eat enough carbohydrates but was told curtly that a calorie was a calorie so that was me on my own.

I always carry an emergency chocolate bar though I eat very little of such things at other times (may as well enjoy it!)

It always happened when I went shopping with my husband. He would leave me in my wheelchair while he went to McDonalds (the only place selling lunch so early) A can of coke worked magic.

Once I was at a disabled centre waiting for a taxi home. I struggled to ask for a biscuit and was eating it when the taxi arrived. He helped me in as I looked very disabled but before I got home I was back to normal and he thought it was a miracle that a biscuit could do that.

Nowadays I have diabetes and my blood sugar machine tells me it happens when I have a hypo. Simple test no one ever did:banghead:

From this thread I now wonder if the salt helped as well. Glucose tablet did not work for me yet works for my type 1 diabetic grandson.

We need doctors who understand ME enough to see these things in an ME context.