1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Evaluation of clinical relationship of serum niacin and dopamine levels in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome, 2021, Katar et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by ola_cohn, Nov 28, 2021.

1. ola_cohn

ola_cohn Established Member (Voting Rights)

ABSTRACT
    Objectives: The aim of this study was to investigate the role of serum niacin and dopamine (DA) levels and their clinical importance in
    fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) patients.

Patients and methods: Between April 2018 and October 2018, a total of 53 female patients (mean age: 38.3±5.5 years; range, 21 to 45 years)
    with a clinical diagnosis of FMS and 35 healthy female controls (mean age: 36.7±5.2 years; range, 25 to 44 years) were included in this
    cross-sectional study. The Visual Analog Scale (VAS), Beck Depression Inventory (BDI), and Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ)
    were applied to the patients. Serum levels of niacin and DA were measured by high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and
    enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) methods, respectively.

Results: Niacin and DA levels of the patient group were significantly lower than those of control group (p=0.003 and p=0.02, respectively).
    A very strong positive correlation was found between niacin and DA levels (r=0.96 p<0.001). Evaluation of the diagnostic performance of
    niacin and DA by the receiver operating characteristic analysis yielded an area under the curve (AUC) of 0.73 (p<0.001, 95% confidence
    interval [CI]: 0.62-0.85) and an AUC of 0.68 (p=0.004, 95% CI: 0.56-0.80), respectively.

Conclusion: Serum niacin and DA levels decrease in FMS patients in relation to the tender point numbers. It can be suggested that the levels
    of these two markers can be considered additional tools in the diagnosis of FMS.

Keywords: Dopamine, fibromyalgia syndrome, niacin, pain, point number, tender.

Full paper only seems to be available in pdf, please see attached

Attached Files:

spinoza577, DokaGirl, Lisa108 and 5 others like this.
  2. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The differences were way more dramatic than I was expecting - levels of dopamine and niacin were about half that of the controls. I do wonder about diet, maybe overall food intake is lower in fibro. But, still I was not expecting that. The authors discuss fibro in the context of central sensitization, but at least do so in a biomedical manor.

3. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[​IMG]

(I'll see myself out.)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    DokaGirl, alktipping, Lilas and 7 others like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I gave not yet read the paper ( not enough coffee consumed yet)

When we did some testing after my daughter had been ill for a year b3( niacin) and glutathione were both low.
    Niacin is an anti inflammatory molecule - perhaps being low suggests higher than normal levels of inflammation?

Eta looking at MAO ( and COMT) gene expression may have been useful for dopamine .

DokaGirl and alktipping like this.
  5. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What makes you think that?

DokaGirl likes this.
  6. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At least in my case, pain and fatigue can have a negative effect on appetite. Google suggests that's not uncommon but I suspect it can also have the opposite effect in some individuals. It can also be as simple as not able to go to the grocery store as often.

DokaGirl, alktipping and Trish like this.
  7. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed.

Also disability/unemployment and resulting food insecurity.

Another variable may be inability to prepare meals on a regular basis.

Amw66 likes this.
  8. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

FM + ME may well be different than FM alone, and several studies correlate obesity to FM. I would be careful to generalize N=1 experience.

Also I’d be careful to assume that a B-3 deficiency is related to a dietary intake. One can have adequate daily recommended intake but still somehow deficient, and i’d suggest it is not necessary to rush to the vitamin store to buy B-3 at this point, and come back here and announce their pain is better after 5 days.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10067-009-1094-2

DokaGirl and shak8 like this.