Exercise Training in Post-COVID-19 Patients: The Need for a Multifactorial Protocol for a Multifactorial Pathophysiology, 2022, Cattadori et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow. I don't think I've heard of people having viruses reactivated with Imunovir. Good to know. Thanks, @Mij

Mij likes this.
  2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is nuts but the advice to get back to work and exercise has been a consistent feature after any viral attack I have had in the past 35 years. Really sorry that you are on your second bout of Covid. It's horrid stuff.

Take yourself back in time for any job you needed a sick note from a doctor to give to your employer pre-Covid. Once your temperature went down (in my experience) then the GP would expect you to have recovered and that meant back to work.

There was no concept when I saw GP's in the 1980s/90's and 2000's of an acute viral illness and caused long term sickness and an inability to do one's job for more than a week or two and never came back. Once my temperatures came down to a standard normal (rather then my normal low) that was it. End of the problem for the GP. If one was feeling to weak or was fainting or exhausted or unable to think / whatever the cure was to get out in the fresh air and go back to work.

If the viral symptoms kept coming back with regular bouts every few weeks of tonsils, swollen glands. high temperatures and delirium that was just some sort of coincidence or bad luck. No such condition existed in the GP's mind. The patient was "just picking up different bugs" and had become "run down" and needed to get out walking in the fresh air more.

If it persisted it was depression. Even of the symptoms were mainly viral.

alktipping, Trish and JemPD like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was lucky enough to work for the NHS all my life and never needed a sick note. The people who needed to organise cover for me accepted that I was sick.

ukxmrv, alktipping, FMMM1 and 2 others like this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

you are so right @ukxmrv "get out in the fresh air!" you've got my GP, in fact every GP i ever seen, down to a tee there. Which does feel very cruel when you'd love nothing more than to do so but cant.

ukxmrv, alktipping and Trish like this.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry, I missed this post yesterday.

Yes, I've come to learn from reading M.E groups/forums that PEM does vary from person to person. This has not been the case for me, my delayed PEM has followed the same distinctive pattern since PEM started. Perhaps this has been an advantage in some way b/c I can manage it from pacing. In the earlier years I did feel flu-like/swollen glands during PEM that felt like- whole body aching/burning muscle malaise, but not any more. Orthostatic stress has been more negatively affected by PEM in the last 15 years.

Snow Leopard, alktipping and JemPD like this.