Fatigue as the unconscious refusal of the demands of late capitalism, 2021, Diserholt

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Oct 12, 2022.

Tags:
  1. josepdelafuente

josepdelafuente Senior Member (Voting Rights)

you made me actual lol

Sean, alktipping, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  2. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You captured this well :thumbup:

3. Joan Crawford

Words fail me completely.
    Nothing like this ever came close to me in any of my training apart from a few foreys in yey olde theories of yonder past so we could have a laugh

Seriously it's beyond bizarre.

A parody of an academic.

At one point she suggests via hashing that she is a fan of critical psychology. Nope.

Snow Leopard, RedFox, CRG and 8 others like this.
  4. Joan Crawford

It really is beyond words. Made up 'stuff' Post truth waffle. Piffle. Astonishing doesn't quite do it justice :eek:

alktipping, EzzieD, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  5. Joan Crawford

It has :)

6. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

me too :laugh:
    Sometimes @rvallee your turn of phrase has me luaghing out loud for some time, this was one f those :D thank you i needed that tonight

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Joan. I'm glad to hear it's outside the world of current psychology. Which makes it all the more strange that she is now a psychology lecturer.

8. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Faced with such fantastical rantings, I too am speechless, although not surprised.
    Like most who embrace psychoanalysis as a religion, she listens but doesn't really hear, she's only interested to see her beloved little theory corroborated, no matter if facts, reality, truth are evaded or ignored. As underlined, this " thesis " is only distortion, deformation of what pwme report or do. Grosso modo, she interprets ME as a supposed inner conflict, a pathological ambivalence existing between the unconscious refusal to follow the rhythm of the capitalist system (causing somatization, through fatigue and pain) and this ever-present human need to be recognized despite everything as a whole person in this society. Here is a memorable example, among the innumerable contained in this gibberish:

If it weren't terribly damaging, this kind of inept and dummy intellectualization
    would be almost laughable, it's so wacky and without common sense !

RedFox, Missense, Sean and 7 others like this.
  9. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:)

11. josepdelafuente

I'm thinking about wading into the Twitter debate for the first time in my life. This is what I've drafted so far, but I can't tell anymore a) if my point is clear and/or b) if I'm actually making a point at all!

Does this make sense? suggestions for edits etc are welcome.

"I have a question, I hope it doesn't come across as facetious.
    I like to use food poisoning as a comparison case.
    I think most people (though I'm sure not everyone) would agree that food poisoning is an illness that happens to a person, that essentially has nothing to do with that that person thinks, feels, believes, or the wider societal organizing framework (whether it's capitalism, or a community deep in the Amazon). Some kind of virus, bacteria or parasite has got into the body, it's stopping things working properly, and in order for the person to be healthy again that virus, bacteria or parasite needs to go. While someone under extreme stress from their environment might be more susceptible to food poisoning (though to be honest I'm not actually sure if that's true), I'd assume we can agree that thinking about how that stress level increases susceptibility is orders of magnitude less useful than understanding the virus/bacteria/parasite that is actually causing the problem.

I (and I think many other people with ME) long for that kind of straight-forward logic to used when dealing with ME. If we can all agree that there are some things (such as food poisoning), where it's much more useful to know what's actually happening, than what might make that thing slightly more likely to happen, then why can't we put ME in that category too?
    "

12. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lacanians may well believe that food poisoning involves a psychological rejection of othered nourishment, provision of food being associated with overbearing maternal assertion, or somesuch. Vomiting and diarrhoea are probably just florid expressions of metaphor.

The thing is, it would be fine if Lacanians wrote mad papers proposing psychological explanations for human ageing, or pregnancy, or food poisoning. The problem comes when they apply postmodernist nonsense to an illness domain which is genuinely contested, one where their academic jeus d’esprit add to a significant corpus of more plausible work which nonetheless still invalidates and denies biophysical reality.

EzzieD, ukxmrv, Art Vandelay and 9 others like this.
  13. Trish

14. Trish

15. josepdelafuente

16. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ukxmrv, Joan Crawford, Sean and 3 others like this.
  18. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Strange that this is still being done at universities. Shows that a large part of academic life has little to do with science and knowledge gathering.

Missense, rvallee, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  19. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am sorry, but every time I read the title of this paper I get the giggles. "Fatigue as the unconscious refusal of the demands of late capitalism"

Did no one get fatigued during early or middle capitalism? What is capitalism demanding of me? Is my unconscious holding a banner and chanting? No wonder I feel fatigued!

Missense, EzzieD, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  20. Trish

It does seem that at least in some universities people can get a PhD for simply collecting a bit of data, whether as qualititive, ie interviews, or quantitiave, ie questionnaires, apply the analysis tools they've been taught, and write it up along with a review of some literature. It doesn't seem to matter whether that literature and the theories they base their analysis on are complete garbage, such as LP, the stuff this woman is steeped in, or the BPS model of ME/CFS.

So long as they've swallowed the model and can write it up, it gets the degree. They seem to completely miss any stage where they look beyond the model of the world, or disease they've swallowed whole, read more widely or reflect on whether what they write is an accurate reflection of reality.

Lilas, EzzieD, RedFox and 3 others like this.