Feedback Wanted: “Task” oriented Advocacy Website

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by MErmaid, Feb 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

For those of you who are interesting in seeing the ME landscape change by supporting advocacy, I would like to ask for your feedback.

I am interested in creating a new global (borderless) advocacy website where tasks could be posted, tracked, and marked as complete. The idea behind creating a new site is to allow PwME, caregivers, and the general public an opportunity to participate. As an example, I would like to see tasks posted that can be specified by such characteristics as due date, estimated time to complete, skills required (speaking, typing, recording, proof-reading), tasks that can be completed from bed vs outside of the home, etc.

As a global ME community, I feel we have good ideas for advocacy but often lack the time, skills, and energy to complete them. Others who have the time, skills, and focus may volunteer to own a task.

Also, as a bonus, the new website may increase ME Awareness and demonstrate that we are organized and dedicated to making change.

Edited to Add:
    Here are some examples of a few ideas that could generate a new task:
    - Need help with writing a letter to my health insurance company who actively promotes GET/CBT
    - Need someone to meet with a government official on my behalf
    - Need help with making signs for an upcoming ME protest/rally
    - Need help with writing a ME petition
    - Need a ride to a ME protest/rally
    - Need help organizing a screening of Unrest

The concept of “borderless” means, that a person in one country can post a new task, while a person from another country may fufill the task. We are not bound by geographic location nor organization. We are one global community!

Thank you in advance for your ideas :)

MErmaid

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I think there are already many websites Facebook groups and forums.

Would suggest working with #MEAction

3. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Hi @NelliePledge

Thanks for your feedback. Regarding Facebook, from my understanding not everyone is comfortable using it due to a lack of anonymity. I would like the new website to have anonymous logon capability, similar to the concept we have here on S4ME.

I want to pitch the idea to #MEAction in the near future. For now, I need to gather your ideas so I can better understand the requirements. Then, I can research different software packages to find a good fit. I may also need to estimate developer costs. Once I have all my ducks lined up in a row, then I will be in a more favorable position to communicate with #MEAction.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018