1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Graded exercise therapy for ME/CFS is not effective and unsafe. Re-analysis of a Cochrane review (2018) Health Psychology / Vink

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Cheshire, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Mark Vink

Mark Vink Established Member (Voting Rights)

Yes I realise on the one hand that this is the difficult bit, just like with any other treatment, but on the other hand every patient can tell you that if he goes over his limit, and that is what GET forces you to do, then you will get a relapse and the more you go over your limit the bigger the relapse and the less likely you are to recover from it.

Therefore by definition GET is harmful for this disease and CBT for this disease often contains an element of it and therefore that is harmful too

Inara, ukxmrv, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes.

Improvement (which is a pre-loaded label anyway), is really about change from an initial condition, either up or down. Conceptually a single parameter with a range spanning both negative and positive. (And yes, I fully appreciate that there can be many separate measures that contribute to that, but it's the concept I'm getting at).

It feels like if investigators are really interested and determined to find true answers, then they should be prepared to investigate the full +ve/-ve range of health change (a.k.a. 'improvement'), and wherever possible seek evidence no matter where in that range it falls, not just if it happens to be positive. This would likely require more thought on design and methodology, and maybe less pursuit of pleasing the 'right' people. Negative 'improvement' is really the other side of the same coin - it's all health change from the initial condition. If you investigate changes in temperature, you don't treat the negative values as something totally different to the positive ones, and thereby ignore the negative ones.

(In case it's not obvious from the above, I'm agreeing with you by the way :) ).

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, indeed.

If Laurun et al had reported on objective outcome measures this would have shown up in the Cochrane review.

4. Dolphin

There is pretty much no way these figures are for metres. I presume instead they are for feet. The equivalent numbers in metres are: 407 and 401. Comment: this is not a criticism of the Vink paper

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  5. Dolphin

Yes this is pretty shocking.

Inara, rvallee, Sean and 7 others like this.
  6. Dolphin

Sean, Hutan, Barry and 2 others like this.
  7. Dolphin

Sean, mango, Barry and 2 others like this.
  8. Dolphin

Just to be rigourous: the Cochrane review didn't report objective outcomes; this wording gives the impression it did.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Inara, Sean, Mark Vink and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mark Vink

I see what you mean but they refers to the trials not to the Review

Trish and Dolphin like this.
  10. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd think the very fact that researchers are using exercise challenges specifically because exercise exacerbate the disease adds further support to the view that exercise as a treatment puts patients at risk of harm. And these studies are investigating and reporting increased symptoms, decrease in functioning, and changes in brain function, gene expression, immune markers, blood flow, etc that are occurring post-exertion.

Edited to add:
    Regarding CBT - In addition to the risk of physical harm, intentionally trying to convince patients with an organic disease that they are mistaken and its just false cognitions is abusive and psychically harmful

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    mango, Inara, inox and 7 others like this.
  11. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In another of the bitter ironies of ME, we can't do a large scale trial of 2 day CPET testing because it would be unethical as some of the participants in the small trials have not recovered to where they were before they did the exercise.

Yet because there are no large scale trials the BPSers are able to continue to say exercise is safe and insist it is the best treatment.

They insist there is no evidence of harms except for patient anecdote but how can you do a large scale trial to see how much worse people get and for how long? Anecdote is surely all we have of harms for any disease.

Shinygleamy, Cheshire, mango and 3 others like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Which is why we need an in vitro means of testing for PEM, so the patient is not at risk. Also because it will open major avenues for broader lab investigations and testing.

EzzieD, alex3619, mango and 5 others like this.
  13. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The sooner the better.

andypants, rvallee and ladycatlover like this.
  14. Mark Vink

Thank you for all your posts and comments Dolphin

15. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Amw66, Inara, Woolie and 12 others like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MEMarge and obeat like this.
  17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)