1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Guardian article: "Scientists’ egos are key barrier to progress, says Covid vaccine pioneer"

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by cassava7, Sep 11, 2021.

1. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...progress-covid-vaccine-pioneer-katalin-kariko

An article about Prof Katalin Karikó, who pioneered mRNA vaccines, and the skepticism and hardships she faced in academia before joining BioNTech.

Quotes (bolding mine):

Scientists would make swifter progress in solving the world’s problems if they learned to put their egos aside and collaborate better, according to the leading researcher behind the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid vaccine.

Prof Katalin Karikó, the senior vice-president for RNA protein replacement therapies at BioNTech in Germany, endured decades of scepticism over her work and was demoted and finally kicked out of her lab while developing the technology that made the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines possible.​

[...]
    “If so many people who are in a certain field would come together in a room and forget their names, their egos, their titles, and just think, they would come up with so many solutions for so many things, but all these titles and whatever get in the way,” Karikó told the Guardian.​

[...]
    “I always thought who cares? In 100 years nobody will know my name. But titles, promotions, older men, power, it all gets in the way,” she said. It is not exclusively men that prioritise power over progress, she concedes, but “they have had more time to practise wielding power”.​

[...]
    “People love to hate big pharma, but these people are so smart,” she said. “When I went from academia to a company, they don’t care how many committees you are on, how many papers you have. What counts is that you have a product that has an effect. The ego is wiped out. It is so much better.”​

lycaena, Sarah94, Barry and 26 others like this.
  2. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, because it is the bottom line that counts, product and profit--time matters. In the ivory tower things bumble along slowly for the tenured, from conference to conference.

Sarah94, sebaaa, Louie41 and 5 others like this.
  3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a remarkable person. Her work and determination have helped save many, many lives.

On the subject of academia, which we have both been involved in, my other half and I were just talking about university research. Hopefully not all of it is repetition, repetition, or frittering away money, or research grants re-directed to admin, or other "worthier" causes, as was done years ago at the CDC with ME research.

We've certainly seen all of that. And, one does wonder why in the world some things are studied in the first place.

Professor Kariko is so right about egos getting in the way of progress. Our community has been gripped by this issue for a very, very long time.

Sarah94, sebaaa, Louie41 and 7 others like this.
  4. Jan

Jan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What an amazing woman! Do read the full article if you can.

lycaena, Barry, sebaaa and 8 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Similar story with the woman, Barbara McClintock, who discovered 'jumping genes'. And later won an unshared Nobel prize for it.

If you are not making enemies, you are not making progress.

(Doesn't mean making enemies means you are making progress, just that making progress will make enemies of those who stand to lose from progress, or from it being made by others.)

Sarah94, Helene, Perrier and 3 others like this.