Gulf War Illness - causes

Discussion in 'Gulf War Illness' started by Suffolkres, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure if findings here overlap?
    https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/197/8/1171/903299?login=true

Gene Expression Subtypes in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
    Jonathan R Kerr, Robert Petty, Beverley Burke, John Gough, David Fear, Lindsey I Sinclair, Derek L Mattey, Selwyn C. M Richards, Jane Montgomery, Don A Baldwin,
    Paul Kellam, Tim J Harrison, George E Griffin, Janice Main, Derek Enlander, David J Nutt, Stephen T Holgate
    The Journal of Infectious Diseases, Volume 197, Issue 8, 15 April 2008, Pages 1171–1184, https://doi.org/10.1086/533453

Joan Crawford and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. LarsSG

LarsSG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nope, they didn't find any association between ME and PON1, but of course that study was tiny.

3. Suffolkres

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/5444
    PON1 paraoxonase 1 [ Homo sapiens (human) ]
    Gene ID: 5444, updated on 8-May-2022

Summary

This gene encodes a member of the paraoxonase family of enzymes and exhibits lactonase and ester hydrolase activity. Following synthesis in the kidney and liver, the enzyme is secreted into the circulation, where it binds to high density lipoprotein (HDL) particles and hydrolyzes thiolactones and xenobiotics, including paraoxon, a metabolite of the insecticide parathion. Polymorphisms in this gene may be associated with coronary artery disease and diabetic retinopathy. The gene is found in a cluster of three related paraoxonase genes on chromosome 7. [provided by RefSeq, Aug 2017]

Joan Crawford and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I have been wondering if ciguatera might be a clue - this is a very potent toxin in fish. The disease it causes in humans if ingested sometimes leads to long term symptoms that I think are essentially ME/CFS. Both ciguatera and sarin seem to have long term anti-cholinesterase activity. If I'm understanding things correctly, the pyridostigmine only has quite short-term activity - it binds to the acetylcholinesterase molecule, preventing the long acting binders latching on, but then detaches.

The action of the ciguatera poison is understood a bit - it seems to involve dysfunction of the volted gated channels.

I'll be interested to see what others think
    Neurological Disturbances of Ciguatera Poisoning: Clinical Features and Pathophysiological Basis, 2020, L'Herondelle et al

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  5. LarsSG

LarsSG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And of course, the mechanism here is that the PON1 variant reduces the rate at which sarin is metabolized (so presumably increases the exposure to low-level sarin in the blood because it is cleared significantly slower), which doesn't have anything to do with ME in general. So you wouldn't expect anything to be found for this variant in ME on the basis of this study. Whatever shared mechanisms between GWI and ME there might be would have to be downstream.

6. Suffolkres

Parathion
    Parathion, also called parathion-ethyl or diethyl parathion and locally known as "Folidol", is an organophosphate insecticide and acaricide. It was originally developed by IG Farben in the 1940s. It is highly toxic to non-target organisms, including humans, so its use has been banned or restricted in most countries. Wikipedia
    Only banned early 2002 in say Switzerland......
    Parathion is a cholinesterase inhibitor. It generally disrupts the nervous system by inhibiting acetylcholinesterase. It is absorbed via skin, mucous membranes, and orally. Absorbed parathion is rapidly metabolized to paraoxon, as described in Insecticidal activity. Paraoxon exposure can result in headaches, convulsions, poor vision, vomiting, abdominal pain, severe diarrhea, unconsciousness, tremor, dyspnea, and finally lung-edema as well as respiratory arrest. Symptoms of poisoning are known to last for extended periods, sometimes months. The most common and very specific antidote is atropine, in doses of up to 100 mg daily. Because atropine may also be toxic, it is recommended that small frequently repeated doses be used in treatment. If human poisoning is detected early and the treatment is prompt (atropine and artificial respiration), fatalities are infrequent. Insufficient oxygen will lead to cerebral hypoxia and permanent brain damage. Peripheral neuropathy including paralysis is noticed as late sequelae after recovery from acute intoxication. Parathion and related organophosphorus pesticides are used in hundreds of thousands of poisonings annually, especially suicides.[9] It is known as Schwiegermuttergift (mother-in-law poison) in Germany. For this reason, most formulations contain a blue dye providing warning.

Parathion was used as a chemical warfare agent, most notably by an element of the British South Africa Police (BSAP) attached to the Selous Scouts during the Rhodesian Bush War. They used it to poison clothing that was then supplied to anti-government guerrillas. When the enemy soldiers put on the clothes, they were poisoned by absorption through the skin.[10][11][12]

Based on animal studies, parathion is considered by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to be a possible human carcinogen.[13] Studies show that parathion is toxic to fetuses, but does not cause birth defects.[14]

It is classified by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) as a persistent organic pollutant[citation needed] and by the World Health Organization (WHO) as Toxicity Class Ia (extremely hazardous).[citation needed]

Parathion is toxic to bees, fish, birds, and other forms of wildlife.[14]

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  7. Suffolkres

8. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This US article gives a few more details along with background information
    "Researchers think they've found the cause of Gulf War Illness"
    https://www.military.com/daily-news...k-theyve-found-cause-of-gulf-war-illness.html

A Twitter thread with a few extracts from the two articles above

9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)