1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

healthcare - ME/CFS: Past, Present and Future - 2021 - by William Weir and Nigel Speight

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Kalliope, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME/CFS: Past, Present and Future - by William Weir and Nigel Speight

Abstract
    This review raises a number of compelling issues related to the condition of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS).

Some historical perspective is necessary in order to highlight the nature of the controversy concerning its causation.

Throughout history, a pattern tends to repeat itself when natural phenomena require explanation.

Dogma usually arrives first, then it is eventually replaced by scientific understanding.

The same pattern is unfolding in relation to ME/CFS, but supporters of the psychological dogma surrounding its causation remain stubbornly resistant, even in the face of compelling scientific evidence to the contrary.

Acceptance of the latter is not just an academic issue; the route to proper understanding and treatment of ME/CFS is through further scientific research rather than psychological theorisation.

Only then will a long-suffering patient group benefit.