1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Heart Rate Variability and ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Cardiovascular and exercise physiology (CPET)' started by mariovitali, Jun 12, 2019.

1. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As i mentioned in some posts in PR, my irregular heartbeats used to be so intense that i went to a cardiologist. He told me to wear a holter device for 24 hours. After analyzing the data they told me how many incidents of irregular heartbeat i had but they said that these were "extra heartbeats therefore not dangerous".

After doing specific interventions they faded away within a month.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  2. junkcrap50

junkcrap50 Established Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting stuff. I have been shopping the past couple weeks for a HR monitor to do HRV tracking! I'm going to get the Polar H10. Have you tracked your HRV overnight while sleeping?

To try and increase parasympathetic tone, have you tried or heard of transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation? There are threads on PR and Healthrisin describing how to do it and techniques.

Yes, a Polish colleague of Morten is looking at cryotherapy to increase parasympathetic tone.

3. mariovitali

I do understand your way of thinking and it makes sense. Unfortunately i cannot stop magnesium as i believe that my body has taken too much these past 15 days. I need to make sure that whatever i went through will not happen for some time (say a month). But i will try it.

Here is how my results look at the moment :

IMG_3494.PNG

observe below how the line chart shows the stabilisation of HRV to normal levels

IMG_3493.PNG

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  4. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've just started using HRV again after seeing this thread. It does capture my crashes quite well, and even when I'm feeling better the LF and HF numbers are still off.

RuthT, Cinders66, Annamaria and 5 others like this.
  5. mariovitali

I wanted to provide a short update on my HRV monitoring.

Things have been going exceptionally well. I do not have any occurences of irregular heartbeat and the HRV is steady over 50. I also confirm for once again that specific symptoms of ME/CFS correlate with a low HRV (speaking for myself).

29BF13E3-ED10-45D6-B557-4D04D59C2822.png

Cinders66, MarcNotMark, Aroa and 3 others like this.
  6. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cinders66, ahimsa, andypants and 10 others like this.
  7. feeb

feeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Into month 3 of HRV tracking. Uninterpretable so far, still.

The yellow bars are my actual HRV scores, and the thick blue line is a 15-day moving average of those values. The thicker purple line is a 15-day moving average of my resting heart rate (RHR) as calculated by Fitbit. I think Fitbit must apply some smoothing to their RHR calculation, as the EliteHRV RHR calculation is much noisier.

Screenshot 2019-08-24 at 20.03.59.png

One thing that I do find quite interesting is that my HRV has been increasing steadily since I began tracking it, and it's correlated with a period of having a relatively consistent RHR. Both of those measurements also correlate with a crash that started in June.

The up-and-down waves in RHR at the beginning of the year are normal, and I was able to get out of the house a few times a week then, as I was feeling much better. Seems that a higher HRV, not just a lower HRV, could also be a helpful indicator of things not being quite right, especially taken alongside RHR discrepancies.

https://hrvcourse.com/the-8-biggest-mistakes-made-when-measuring-hrv/

Sounds familiar, right? :dead:

More data needed before I can say whether any of this is telling me anything useful, but thought I'd post some preliminary findings all the same.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  8. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Established Member (Voting Rights)

I'm curious about how you submerge your head in ice water. :confused:

Cinders66, ahimsa and Yessica like this.
  9. mariovitali

Ah yes, my "impeccable" english in action. I meant just the face, not the entire head ;-)

ahimsa, Annamaria, Yessica and 2 others like this.
  10. mariovitali

Here is an update regarding my HRV readings. I am very happy to say that there is sustained normalisation of the HRV readings. However, the most important aspect i believe is the fact that my irregular heartbeats are virtually gone (second snapshot = 0 artifacts detected and corrected) :

IMG_3860.PNG

IMG_3861.PNG

Perrier, junkcrap50, Yessica and 4 others like this.
  11. junkcrap50

junkcrap50 Established Member (Voting Rights)

What treatment approach did you use? Submerging face in ice water, breathing, humming, gargling? How long did you persist at this? Did you notic any other changes besides your irregular hearbeats?

Trish likes this.
  12. mariovitali

I do not believe that sharing my treatment is the right thing to do since it may well be the case that something i am taking is beneficial to me but not to someone else. What i wanted to highlight through these posts is that it appears that my symptoms correlate with low HRV readings (and also that irregular heartbeats are part of my symptoms)

I've been taking these readings on and off to be honest, as soon as i found that low HRV correlate with my symptoms

Annamaria, Perrier, Yessica and 2 others like this.