1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Henrick Vogt: "intense negativity spread by individuals/CFS groups/researchers" partly to blame for family's suicide

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Jan 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Stuart

Stuart Established Member (Voting Rights)

Not harmful? Look at his original post, on that thread an LP victim mentions who he was referred to, and that most of the patients probably just parroted the 'I am better' required statement (that is what LP is, just saying that over and over). However, one of those 'better' patients up and died shortly after. The instructor's spin? "He was an inspiration... It improved the quality of the last phase of his life." FFS lady, you killed him!

Lisa108, Inara, Jan and 7 others like this.
  2. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

A big concern with these approaches is what happens if people are misdiagnosed or have other acute issues that need to be dealt with - telling people to ignore symptoms mean they get ignored and not investigated.

MEMarge, Hutan, Dolphin and 15 others like this.
  3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And coming soon to a MUS clinic near you.....

ETA: by you, I mean us all.

Stuart, Inara, Indigophoton and 4 others like this.
  4. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Its very concerning but I think some of the attitudes are already institutionalized. A friend had fatigue in the early 90s and kept being dismissed by doctors it turned out to be something serious, life threatening and acute which one GP eventually picked up on and finally got treated.

I think medicine or alternative medicine that encourages people to say they are better and ignore symptoms will only make that worse.

Hutan, Solstice, TiredSam and 11 others like this.
  5. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

News has come today that the family died by their own hands, and that this was related to the daughters' diagnoses of ME.

Warning
    The news report contains distressing details.
    https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/krim/a/8wdBJ1/polisen-sa-dog-familjen-i-bjarred

An 'In memory' thread will be set up so members can express their sadness and condolences.

ETA: edited to avoid saying too much about details, as they are upsetting.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Hutan, andypants, Lisa108 and 8 others like this.
  6. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do not seem to have an English translation?

ETA: am worse brain fogged than ever. What am I missing?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    MEMarge likes this.
  7. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You're not missing anything, there seems to be something about the links to Aftonbladet that makes them unable to auto-translate.

It's about the family that was found dead this january. The police have now finnished their investigations and held a press conference about the findings. So that's mainly what is new. They confirm what is already known, it seemes to be a joined descision by the parents based on both daughters ME-diagnosis.

There are more details (about their deaths), but I'm not comfortable with translating/summarizing those.

Hutan, Lisa108, JohnTheJack and 7 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The In memory thread is here. It includes a link to an article from the Swedish ME Association.

Sean, Hutan, Lisa108 and 9 others like this.
  9. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

When I open the page in Chrome, I'm asked if I want it translated.

10. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @JohnTheJack . I am usually in safari but when I moved to chrome, I was offered a translation.

It is a very, very sad story.

MEMarge, Invisible Woman and Trish like this.