1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

IiMER International Conference Week London 2019

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Sly Saint, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1044270504507572225

"
    Invest in ME Research has announced dates for events taking place in London for their International Conference Week in May 2019 on biomedical research into ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis).

The second Thinking the Future conference for young or early career researchers will be on 28th May 2019.

The ninth Biomedical Research into ME Colloquium (BRMEC9) will take place over two days 29th-30th May 2019.

The above are privately held meetings for researchers from around the world to be able to discuss or share work in progress and plan future collaborations.

The fourteenth International ME Conference (IIMEC14) will be on 31st May 2019 and is open to anyone to attend by pre-paid ticket only (not at the door or on the day). A great opportunity for patients well enough to go in person, family, carers, medical and healthcare professionals, political representatives, journalists etc.

IiMER will post more details in due course of next year’s events on their conference/colloquium website, where you can also find details of past events, the Conference Reports, Journal of IiMER and the Conference DVDs, which are accredited by the Royal Colleges so that doctors may gain professional development credits for watching."

http://ldifme.org/2018/09/24/iimer-international-conference-week-london-2019/

Webdog, rvallee, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

IIRC there was a perception that the colloquium drew too heavily from US researchers last year, to the exclusion of others. If we're going to make progress, we need all the biomedical researchers talking to each other. I hope that a wide range of biomed researchers are invited this year.

EzzieD, Andy, adambeyoncelowe and 4 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

possibly through the connection with OMF they could look at bringing along the UK people from Nottingham/Birmingham who will be working with the Harvard Group.

4. Sasha

I don't think they need to use any connections, TBH - it's easy enough just to email someone and invite them to come.

It strikes me that the Stanford Symposium was almost all American researchers and the CMRC conference was almost all Brits. Both of those conferences seem to be showcases for the people in those groups - the OMF-funded group and the CMRC members. But I don't think it's in patients' interests to keep researchers silo'ed off from each other, and I think it's crucial that people can be in the same room to talk. There needs to be at least one event a year where that can happen.

The obvious places for everyone to come together would be the IACFS/ME conference (which isn't annual but wanders about geographically, including outside the US) and the IiME conference, which is annual and held in London. But this year, the IiME conference was almost entirely Americans (the only Brits being the IiME-funded Quadram lot).

It's in the interests of patients that our biomed researchers can mix with each other, regardless of where they come from, and I hope conference organisers will be looking to make this happen.

Hutan, Binkie4, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Couldn't agree more but I'd imagine, based on comments that IiME have made previously, that any researcher who attended the CMRC is now 'blacklisted' by IiME.

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Also with several different conferences in the same year, some very close together in time, very busy researchers are likely to limit their travel and attendance to ones they are most likely to find productive. You can invite people, but that doesn't mean they will come. And it costs a lot more to fund travel and hotels if you are paying the costs of speakers who have come from afar.

andypants and Joh like this.
  7. Sasha

If they had indeed blacklisted any researcher who attended the CMRC I'd hope that they're revisiting that policy. Chris Ponting attended the IiME conference this year so it's clearly not a blanket policy at this point in time.

Things change, and there appears to have been a fairly thorough purge of BPS people from the CMRC. Although there may be one or two who favour a psychosomatic model in biomed clothing, the majority seem to be fully on board with the biomed approach and potentially with a lot to offer. Excluding them at this point makes no sense to me. Patients can't afford to waste time. We need all researchers' hands on deck and we need to move biomed research forward in all countries as fast as we can.

Sarah94, MEMarge, andypants and 4 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Merged thread

https://twitter.com/user/status/1075374480107732993

31st May 2019
    London
    IIMEC14

This annual international, CPD accredited research conference provides a platform for the latest and most promising biomedical research into ME.
    IIMEC14 will be the fourteenth conference and regularly attracts researchers, clinicians, doctors, nurses, occupational therapists, healthcare professionals and patient groups twenty countries from around the world.
    The conference is a full day event from 09.00 to 17.30.

Earlybird rates are available until 3rd March 2019 - or when limit reached.

http://investinme.org/IIMEC14.shtml

(Maybe this could be something to target for advocacy/advertising/PR campaign?)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2019
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

andypants and MEMarge like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

11. NelliePledge

It also says the British researchers involved with the Harvard group have been invited.

MEMarge, rvallee, Skycloud and 2 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

13. Ron

Ron Established Member (Voting Rights)

I wish they would live stream it like others have done recently. I've ordered the DVDs in the past but have had problems playing them.

Hutan, Binkie4, MEMarge and 1 other person like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

15. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Will they have DVDs available for purchase this year? I messaged a few times and still no definite response.

Trish likes this.
  16. NelliePledge

I still haven’t watched last years DVD

Binkie4, Nellie, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  17. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wonder why Fluge is speaking about the Rituximab trial. This is already published. Better that he presents the (preliminary) cyclophosphamide data.

18. Trish

I can't find information on the IiMER website about ordering a DVD. Can anyone help?

MEMarge likes this.
  19. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No DVD this year, they will put presentations on YouTube afterwards

Hutan, Joh, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  20. Trish

Thanks, @Sunshine3. Is there somewhere on their website saying that?

MEMarge and Andy like this.