Preprint Immune Correlates of Hyperglycemia and Vaccination in a Non-human Primate Model of Long-COVID, 2023, Palmer et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by EndME, Sep 29, 2023.

1. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Immune Correlates of Hyperglycemia and Vaccination in a Non-human Primate Model of Long-COVID

Abstract
    Hyperglycemia, and exacerbation of pre-existing deficits in glucose metabolism, are major manifestations of the post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 (PASC). Our understanding of lasting glucometabolic disruptions after acute COVID-19 remains unclear due to the lack of animal models for metabolic PASC.

Here, we report a non-human primate model of metabolic PASC using SARS-CoV-2 infected African green monkeys (AGMs). Using this model, we have identified a dysregulated chemokine signature and hypersensitive T cell population during acute COVID-19 that correlates with elevated and persistent hyperglycemia four months post-infection. This persistent hyperglycemia correlates with elevated hepatic glycogen, but there was no evidence of long-term SARS-CoV-2 replication in the liver and pancreas. Finally, we report a favorable glycemic effect of the SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccine, administered on day 4 post-infection.

Together, these data suggest that the AGM metabolic PASC model exhibits important similarities to human metabolic PASC and can be utilized to assess therapeutic candidates to combat this syndrome.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.09.22.559019v1

livinglighter and Hutan like this.
  2. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Hyperglycemia, and exacerbation of pre-existing deficits in glucose metabolism, are major manifestations of the post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 (PASC)." Apart from the Covid T2D link, I haven't seen evidence of this. But I suppose as long as Long Covid is very loosely defined one can almost claim anything.

This study also did an analysis of SARS-CoV-2 persistence in tissues 18 weeks post infection and the "data suggest no significant long-term persistence of replicating virus in the liver, pancreas or duodenum in our AGM PASC model".

Trish and Hutan like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

They seem to be saying that their model is of 'metabolic PASC', so it's not of ME/CFS - Long Covid.

EndME and shak8 like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When you have a million human subjects, why inflict this on some monkeys?

FMMM1, shak8, SNT Gatchaman and 4 others like this.
  5. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not saying the above theory has any validity but presumably, if it were a common cause of ME/CFS, then UK GWAS (Chris Ponting - DecodeME) would turn up a genetic signal?