International: IACFS/ME - International Association for CFS/ME, IACFSME

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Andy, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The meeting has just finished. Below are my rough notes, I may not have everything 100% right.

Fred Friedberg started the meeting, clearly setting the culture of the meeting as a top-down exercise. He talked about the energy on the board and that they wanted to convey this to us, the public.

The current board is Fred Friedberg, Lily Chu, Chuck Lapp, Luis Nacul, Sonya Marshall-Gradisenk, Rochelle Tosla, Therese Dowells and Irina Rozenfeld. (apologies for the spelling).

Website
    Lily has redone the website - from the brief slide, visually it looks modern and good. It might be worth some of us having a good look at it.

Journal
    The IACFSME journal 'Fatigue' - apparently the Medline review, whatever that was, was not positive. The findings are now under appeal. I asked some questions about the journal with the chat Q&A e.g. why is there no process to prevent the publication of harmful papers like the Crawley paper? what happened with the peer review process? And that if the journal was struggling, why persist with it?

Fred replied that if a paper is approved by the peer reviewers, what can they do? They can't censor science. Lily then said that we can't control what other journals do, seemingly not understanding that the question was directed at the organisation's own journal. The fact that the journal published papers taking down PACE in the past was mentioned at least three times - but that's not a reason to keep persisting with a journal now. There are other places where ME/CFS research can be published now. It was suggested that letters be written to the journal providing responses to papers, and feedback on editorial decisions.

Conference
    The coming conference is on July 2023. It will only be in-person, not virtual, although there will be recordings. It looks as though Lily is putting in a lot of work again. They would welcome sponsors. Rivka Solomon asked why the conference could not be a hybrid in-person/virtual conference. (A very good question - for an international organisation serving ME/CFS, to not have a virtual option is ridiculous.). The answer given was that it costs too much money.

I'll take a break now, but will add more a bit later. Did anyone else attend? Apart from that one question by Rivka, it seemed that I was the only one asking questions. Pretty much everyone else was thanking IACFSME for their wonderful work. (For the record, I did also thank Lily for her good work on the last conference, and for giving Science for ME the opportunity to produce commentary on the conference.)

Edit to add: Maureen Hansen asked if a policy of mask wearing being required at the conference might be helpful. Lily replied that if someone wanted to wear a mask there won't be anything against it and that she herself might wear a mask.

Also, the IACFSME plan to alternate in-person conferences with virtual ones. The venue for this year's one is Stonybrook again (Fred's university).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    ahimsa, MEMarge, Comet and 9 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Hutan for summary so far.

ahimsa, MEMarge, oldtimer and 2 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Hutan. I agree it's disappointing not making it virtual as well as in person. And I agree about the journal. Thanks for reporting on the meeting.

bobbler, ahimsa, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  4. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Calling Crawley's papers "science" is a bit of a stretch isn't it? These purely political answers will only earn distrust from patients towards the association and make all their efforts a waste of time, energy and money.

bobbler, rvallee, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Journal club
    Rochelle talked about the virtual journal club, which is a very good initiative. I've been meaning to attend a session, but haven't got there yet. It is co-sponsored by Nova University (Klimas's one). The sessions are recorded and distributed to the journal club mailing list.
    14 April - Pavel Zalowska and Kyajowska (sorry my hand writing is awful) from Poland on Cryotherapy and ME/CFS
    17 May - Durstenfeld on CPET findings
    They want to facilitate in-depth conversations.

Membership
    Irina talked about membership. 70% is US; 30% from elsewhere in the world. Most are professional members. There are quite a lot of lifetime members - I didn't record how many but 15 to 20%, who presumably do not contribute membership fees.

Professional membership fees are $125/year - they get to vote.
    Associate membership fees (aimed at patients and students) are $50 - they do not get to vote

They want to grow the membership. To do this, they will be surveying the existing members, having an 'invite a colleague' initiative, increasing visibility and engagement. This includes establishing a social media presence e.g. on Linked In. They want to improve the patient and caregiver pages on the website.

I asked why the membership structure is so unwelcoming to patients. The answer seemed to be that they don't really want patients. They said 'We are a professional organisation. We aren't a patient advocacy organisation. We would like to have more patients as volunteers and perhaps on the Board.'

And yes, it's fine for them to be a professional organisation. But, there was some really incredible comments about wanting the organisation to be objective, balanced and science-based, and that that did not necessarily go with having the involvement of patients who might want to be more political. I do hope the people concerned will listen back to those comments, and understand how they came across.

I just don't think they get it - they are an international organisation. A membership fee of US125 is out of reach of many potential members living outside the US, especially in the underfunded field of ME/CFS, and especially given the current low level of benefits delivered. They acknowledge the important role of patients in bringing down PACE, but seem happy with the organisation being 'about you but largely without you, especially if you are from outside the US'.

Financial
    Chuck Lapp reported on the finances.
    There are $188,000 in assets. There is an annual fixed budget of around $25,000. The journal costs around $4500/year, a part-time admin assistant costs $7000 year, Administration costs $7000/year and the conference cost varies.

Election of officers
    This was all a bit opaque unfortunately. Officers have a six year term with scope for a 2 year extension if necessary. That said, Lily has been an officer since 2014 and Fred since 2009. Lily said that she wouldn't mind being regular board member rather than an officer, so that she could concentrate on special projects. That's disappointing, as I was hoping she might become President. People were asked to let the organisation know if you are interested in being on the board. They asked members to vote - but did not say who is standing.

They called for volunteers - contact iacfsmeorg@gmail.com

Aims
    Lily reported that they want to
    - achieve financial sustainability
    - grow membership
    - obtain pubmed indexing of the journal
    - advocate for research funding
    - support clinicians
    - educate professionals and public
    -be the go to on the science of Me/CFS and related diseases

I asked about the Primer, which is outdated and not evidenced based, I asked when it would be updated and whether it should be withdrawn in the meantime. My question was not answered.

I asked about the promotion of commercial products/treatments at the conference, and that they not only were give a speaking slot which is perhaps ok, but were given multiple exposure opportunities. This question was also not answered.

Input from the audience
    Nancy Klimas expressed her thanks to the board and encouraged people to join the organisation. She said that the biggest thing to do now is connect with the Long Covid community.

Lucinda Bateman expressed her thanks.

An anonymous participant expressed enthusiastic support for the Primer (that entirely coincidentally came just ahead of my criticism of the Primer).

I suggested applying for grants e.g. to allow the conference to be virtual. Fred replied that they would if they could, but it's not easy. Another Board member then said that actually they had been successful in getting some grants.

There was some discussion about the fact that there is no funding for replication of studies into biomarkers. Vicki Whittemore replied that actually NINDS has funding opportunities for replication.

**end**

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    bobbler, Dolphin, ahimsa and 7 others like this.
  6. Hutan

On the Medline review of the journal, mentioned upthread
    From what I can see, the NIH operates Medline
    So, it sounds as though the Medline panel found problems with the Fatigue journal, perhaps deciding to not include it in Medline. And that the IACFSME is now engaging in an appeal process.

Dolphin, ahimsa, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  7. Hutan

A reminder that this is coming up later today/tomorrow, depending on your time zone
    1 pm New York time 14 April

More info here:
    Combination of whole body cryotherapy with static stretching ... reduces fatigue and improves functioning of the [ANS] in CFS, 2022, Kujawski et al
    You need to register.

I'm hoping to make it, but I've had a couple of (relatively) big activity days, so it's possible I won't. It would be great to have some S4ME people on the call.

Dolphin, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  8. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSsvPG0vIbg

May 2023 Journal Club - Cryotherapy and static stretching for ME/CFS - Drs. Kujawski and Zalewski
    6 views 18 May 2023

Abnormal and prolonged recovery after physical, cognitive, emotional, and orthostatic stressors in ME/CFS may be due to a dysfunctional autonomic nervous system. For many years, athletes have experimented with cold water or similar exposure to stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system in the hopes of accelerating recovery after exercise. Do such treatments hold any promise for ME/CFS? Drs. Slawomir Kujawski and Pawel Zalewski will discuss possible benefits of cryotherapy and static stretching on various ME/CFS symptoms. The paper discussed is: "Combination of whole body cryotherapy with static stretching exercises reduces fatigue and improves functioning of the autonomic nervous system in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome."

Full-text link: https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-022-03460-1

10. Hutan

From an email dated 11 May:
    The President has a recently published paper:
    Uplifts and hassles are related to worsening in chronic fatigue syndrome A prospective study 2023 Friedberg et al
    :emoji_duck:

11. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Dolphin

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv73uGSBLAQ

IACFS/ME October 2022 Virtual Journal Club - Dr. Arnaud Germain

121Views
    19 Oct2022
    Dr. Arnaud Germain from Cornell University (Ithaca, NY, USA) and his team compared metabolites in people affected by ME/CFS with healthy people during and after 2-day cardiopulmonary exercise testing. Previous studies did not track metabolites longitudinally following physical activity. They found significant differences in metabolites between the groups during the recovery period as well as differences between male and female study participants. The paper discussed is " "Plasma metabolomics reveals disrupted response and recovery following maximal exercise in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome." For the full-text, see:
    https://insight.jci.org/articles/view/157621

If you enjoyed this video and are a clinician, researcher, or other professional interested in ME/CFS, long COVID, and related conditions, join us for live future sessions by contacting us at iacfsmeorg@gmail.com. Please provide verification of your professional status by including a link to your profile on your organization/ personal website or on LinkedIn. Since 1990, IACFS/ME has served as an international, non-profit organization for scientists, clinicians, patients, families, and other interested parties to learn about and share information concerning ME/CFS and related conditions. To find out more about IACFS/ME and our journal, conferences, and other activities, visit iacfsme.org.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

14. Dolphin

From: International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (IACFS/ME) <iacfsmeorg@gmail.com.growthzoneapp.com>
    Subject: Support IACFS/ME through your donation!

2023 IACFS/ME Donation Event

Now through January 31, 2024

CLICK HERE TO DONATE!

Dear IACFS/ME Members and Friends,

As we head towards the end of 2023, we want to thank you for your support of IACFS/ME, whether through becoming/ being a member, presenting at/ attending our conferences, submitting your work to Fatigue: Biomedicine, Health, and Behavior, donating to our organization, or joining our Virtual Journal Club!

There is so much more we could do in 2024 and beyond. Funding, people power (IACFS/ME is almost entirely volunteer-run), and resources often limit the actions we can take. Here are some projects we wish we could undertake:

- Updating the 2014 IACFS/ME Primer for Clinical Practitioners - The Primer has been downloaded over 200,000 times and was featured on a major governmental guideline clearinghouse. Patients, families, and clinicians have told us how useful it is. With progress in science and the advent of long COVID, it would benefit everyone if the Primer were to be updated.

- Livestreaming future IACFS/ME conferences - Our most demanded feature for conferences. For optimal viewing, livestreaming requires multiple cameras and a film director on-site to coordinate them.

- Providing free, online, accredited education for clinicians - Accreditation by a respected and knowledgeable agency requires fees.

- Awarding scholarships to new and junior clinicians/ scientists to attend our conferences

- Defraying the cost of open access publishing in Fatigue: Biomedicine, Health, and Behavior - There is no cost to submit to the journal and with usual publication. There are fees if an author choose to make an article open access. Publishing fees are determined by and go to the publisher, Taylor and Francis, not IACFS/ME.

- Educating others at national scientific/ medical conferences about ME/CFS - IACFS/ME leaders can give talks and/or manage an information booth at major conferences.

Please consider donating to IACFS/ME from now through January 31, 11:59 PM New York City time. IACFS/ME is a 501(c)(3) registered nonprofit in the United States.

Note:

The donation form is configured as an "Event" due to the platform we use. Donating/ registering requires no attendance at any event.

US residents: donate on or before December 31 if you want to deduct the donation from your 2023 taxes.

CLICK HERE TO DONATE!

Happy Holidays!

IACFS/ME

Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn’t want to use my charity contribution to support their conference they have had some dubious participants in previous conferences

MEMarge, cfsandmore, duncan and 4 others like this.
  16. Hutan

I agree NP
    IACFSME could shut down their journal and save money. People with useful articles about ME/CFS and related topics have many better options. Editorial decisions, such as publishing one of E. Crawley's papers, have caused more harm than good.

While Fred Friedberg is President, I don't think the IACFSME is an appropriate recipient of donations. I certainly would not want to see donations from people with ME/CFS used to fund him to speak.

It's frankly frightening that 'patients, families and clinicians' think the primer is useful. While the 2014 document is not fit for purpose and causes harm, I am not confident that a new primer produced by the IACFSME would be an improvement. We only have to look at the speaker list from recent IACFSME conferences to see that it is probably not true that 'it would benefit everyone if the Primer were updated'.

I'm interested to know why you think this organisation is worth supporting @Tom Kindlon. I think Lily Chu is doing her best to do good things, but, overall, people with ME/CFS would be better off without the IACFSME. Mostly they seem to serve as a source of disinformation.

17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  18. Dolphin

The International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Myalgic Encephalomyelitis has set up its first social media account, on LinkedIn
    https://www.linkedin.com/company/iacfsme

First post is "Impressions of the December 2023 NIH/NINDS Research Conference on ME/CFS and Long COVID"
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/impr...ihninds-research-conference-mecfs-long-eueke/

Doesn't really give details of the specifics of what was said at the conference

Peter Trewhitt likes this.