1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Issues w/nausea in PEM

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by JaimeS, Sep 16, 2018.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Once I get truly exhausted, my throat starts to hurt (whether or not I've been talking a lot). It starts to feel dry and my speaking grows hoarse.

If I continue speaking (in a meeting, what-have-you) I start to feel like I'm going to throw up. Eventually it becomes overwhelming and I have to just not speak for that day.

It's a long-running symptom. I only see it in PEM.

Anyone else?

2. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not something I’ve experienced. Sounds horrid. I do feel like putting my hands over my ears and wishing people would shut up though.

I get nausea as a result of PEM (along with diarrhoea) but no sore throat

3. JaimeS

Thanks. Wish I understood it. :(

4. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@JaimeS I get the throat problems too, too exhausted to talk, hoarse. I notice an usual taste in my mouth with severer PEMs.

With very severe PEM I get very weak, insomnia, no appetite, I retch and vomit and get diarrhoea. This is what reminds me of chemotherapy, it feels like some kind of toxic state.

I dread this very severe PEM and would hate to be in this state permanently or for months on end. Very hard to look after yourself when this weak and sick.

5. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do have nausea sometimes when I have PEM but not to the point of throwing up. I take Ginger Gravols and it helps.

Invisible Woman, Mij, Inara and 4 others like this.
  6. JaimeS

Ginger is a good idea. I have ginger candies, I'll try that.

I know I have latent EBV. My mom, who also has ME, has EBV as her 'primary pathogen' and it demonstrably reactivates. She gets sores on her throat. My throat feels swollen and it hurts just a bit even when I'm not speaking. I just had a whispered conversation and it's stinging again. Wonder if it's viral reactivation.

andypants, Dechi, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  7. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get nausea, sore throat, and diarrhea variability with PEM. I don’t vomit unless I am taking flagyl (it was indicated for a non-ME infection).

I hadn’t ever connected nausea to talking, but will have to watch and see if it connects. I connect it to standing/walking “too much” for sure.

8. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

sore throat and nausea continually feeling nauseous for many hours I find I all so get nausea from back pain some times it is more debilitating than the pain . I was told once by a physio that nausea was common with low back pain but other physio's seem to think I am exaggerating the ignorance within the medical profession is some thing that continues to shock me .

9. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get this. Drinking lots of electrolytes and using over-the-counter antiemetics (meclizine) seems to work. Not always though.

10. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure whether it's nausea (I don't feel like throwing up) I experience or distress/OI with PEM. I do feel dehydrated though and my throat gets dry and hoarse. I hit a wall and can not interact at all.

Raw ginger is amazing.

alktipping, andypants, JaimeS and 2 others like this.
  11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I get croaky throat when my energy is starting to go into the red. I get bad sore throats and swollen glands on my worst flare up of symptoms. I get nausea most mornings but it wears off by noon. I don’t get nausea as part of PEM particularly.

I’m a big fan of fresh ginger and a tiny bit of honey with hot water as a tea.

alktipping, andypants, Trish and 2 others like this.
  12. JaimeS

That's part of what's so weird. I've had this a few times, and every time if I stop talking, then the nausea recedes.

Def drank a lot of electrolytes yesterday. At one point I was feeling so thirsty, got up, took 10 steps and went down. Not dizziness, left-sided weakness. Do I have to get tested for MS again? Maybe. :(

I used to do licorice powder in honey (the plant, not the red licorice candy!) and let it slide down my throat. It took care of this!

Now if anything even plays a hormone on TV, I can't touch it. So goodbye, licorice w/ur glucocorticoids.

Feeling much better today. Protest was hard on me. Between the HHS and the CDC, and even the better news out of the NIH, it's been keeping #MEAction staff run off our feet!

Thanks for the advice, guys. :hug:

13. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At first I used to get the sore throat thing a lot. Then it stopped. Now it's back. Even a small amount if chatting and I soon start to sound like a chain smoker. Just overdoing it generally can trigger it, too. Nothing triggers it as fast as talking though.

Being upright too long, the wrong kind of lighting, OI and some gastric issues can trigger nausea, I find. I also become very nauseous if I allow myself to get too hungry - sometimes I can't tell the difference until I eat and then discover it is actually hunger.

Air conditioned meeting rooms might be quite drying in the sinuses and air massage passages too - that would also be a nausea trigger for me.

I cannot abide ginger, but I do find mint tea eases my nausea and is refreshing without being stimulating in a caffeinated way.

If it's acceptable to bring a drink into the meeting, I would suggest bringing in either a ginger or mint tea. Keep something in your bag or pocket as a quick convenient snack.

In one place I worked, it was acceptable after 45 mins - an hour in a meeting to suggest a "comfort break" so people could get up and walk around for 5 minutes, nip to the loo, get themselves a cuppa. I think that worked really well for everyone - the longer meetings go on, the less people take in anyway. A break can make all the difference.

14. JaimeS

15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have a lot of problems with nausea - most of the time and much worse with PEM, sometimes going as far as vomiting.

As to talking - I find it exhausting too. Sometimes I notice I'm talking fast and hyperventilating a bit which makes me feel lightheaded and can make the nausea worse. It's almost as though I know I'm going to run out of energy so I unconsciously talk faster to get the words out before the energy runs out.

16. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can get a sore throat during PEM, usually as a cluster of symptoms resembling the onset of a cold. It does not sound as severe as your sore throat @JaimeS, so it does not effect talking, though by this stage I will be in bed and not likely to be talking much.

I also can get nausea as part of PEM but it does not seem specifically linked to the sore throat symptom cluster, rather it occurs most frequently with severe headaches which if they become a migraine can lead to vomiting. This is different to the mild headache linked to the cold like symptom cluster, and all I can do is lie immobile in a silent darker room for up to several days. This migraine like cluster is associated with food intolerances, but it also occurs without any food known to cause problems following exertion.

alktipping, Invisible Woman and Trish like this.
  17. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Talking causes much aggravation of my symptoms and can throw me in PEM, at least some kind of PEM. So talking is perceived as an effort. Moreover, talking just as thinking, requires your brain to increase oxygenation and therefore blood flow in the brain. For me, thinking and talking while vertical is more of an effort than laying down, so the othostatic labor is part of it, but not all of it.

Nausea can be caused by a sudden drop in blood pressure. I am not saying this is your case, but it can be one of your body’s alarm signal to make you stop talking and stop stressing your body. You may try to lay down immediately when you get this symptom (I know, not always convenient)

I do get sore throats, swollen lymph nodes, spinal pain, brain cramps, and the strong urge to lay down when i have been overdoing it. When i talk too much (it doesn’t take much), i will start looking for my words, the speed of my speed will slow down, i will not be able to gather my thoughts clearly. Thankfully i live by myself, because having to talk is painful. I really wish we had brain imaging to show what is happening and how it differs from healthy, aged/sex matched controls.

alktipping, Invisible Woman and Trish like this.
  18. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@JaimeS I can’t remember nausea with talking. I get it as like a warning with reading. I wouldn’t describe it as PEM itself it’s more like a :emoji_warning: if you continue with this activity the consequence will be horrible.

But that might just be because I’m currently more severe than you, in terms of my perception of what is PEM?

Definitely I get the sore throat PEM. I tend to get two distinct types of PEM - fluey with sore throat and myalgia or more migrainey with sensory overload and what feels like spinal inflammation.

Fluey style PEM can be indistinguishable from a new virus- sometimes I think symptoms are ME and they turn out to be a virus that’s going around.

JaimeS, WillowJ, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  19. fds

fds Established Member (Voting Rights)

Yep, I have a lot of nausea and it is worse the more tired I get. I get the wanting to be sick if you talk thing too. Sometimes it is so bad that I am sick in the morning.

Wondered if you'd tried acupressure wristbands. They are made for travel sickness and some people use for morning sickness too. I have found they can take the edge off. No drugs and easily available here (UK) so might be worth a try.

I also find mint helps if I'm feeling sick. Ginger didn't do much for me.

To be honest although people seem to think this is a minor symptom, for me it is very debilitating and sometimes the only thing I can do it lie very still until it passes.

20. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get a sore throat with PEM, but not nausea. I frequently get nausea when in an upright position for too long.

alktipping, JaimeS, andypants and 2 others like this.