Well that’s the point of a forum, to have differing perspectives and debate. I think I just laid out my argument, so there is the stance. And I don’t mean any personal offense at all, this is my view which I try to be as objective as possible.Indeed. It seems that you have bias against the views of anyone with knowledge of the subject!
I think nothing wrong with sharing anecdotes.I can't help reading this discussion in the wider context of people totally convinced from their own experience and social media chatter that brain retraining, antivirals, HBOT, neck surgery, and a host of other treatments are the answer to the ME/CFS conundrum.
Ryan, i'm of course pleased for you that your health has improved enough to go back to work. But I can't accept any of these hundreds of claims of cause and effect without clinical trials. Is the doctor whose tweets claim efficacy for IVIG doing the treatments as part of a clinical trial?
Lastly since my brainfog isnt as bad. Here is the evidence
1. FM empirically noticing cancer ME patients get cured after cyclo
2. Cyclo trial
3. Dara trial
4. Iwasaki study
5. Vygart
6. IVIG anecdote
Autoantibody Detection Studies:
ME/CFS
Tanaka S et al. Int J Mol Med. 2003
Yamamoto S et al. PLoS One. 2012
Loebel M et al. Brain Behav Immun. 2016
Fujii H et al. J Neuroimaging. 2020
Jensen MA et al. Biochemistry. 2024
Long COVID
Rojas M, et al. J Transl Med 2022
Woodruff MC, et al. Nat Commun. 2023
Jernbom AF, et al. Nat Commun. 2024
Enough to pursue it.
Doesn't it worry you a bit that someone who devoted their career to developing B cell depletion for autoantibody-mediated disease sees all these studies as unconvincing and in many cases negative evidence? You can always find a dozen studies hoping to prove a popular theory. And there are twice as many studies that failed to replicate these findings.
The antibody paradigm shift occurred fifteen years ago. Then it lost momentum. So yes, we need something new, not something on its last legs. We have a different paradigm shift now, based on good data - that point to neural pathways and away from autoimmunity (no DR linkage).
Imagine I have a problem with my car engine. One highly experienced mechanic examines it and says...
As a layperson, who am I supposed to simply believe?
That’s why I find it difficult when one expert’s perspective, even from someone with enormous experience, is treated as if it settles the question. Science is supposed to work by testing competing hypotheses against the evidence and being willing to change its understanding when new evidence emerges.
But I think one of the greatest strengths a scientist can have is the willingness to question their own assumptions and remain genuinely open minded.
That sounds awfully like clutching at straws.I mean, we know from a document that even Fluge and Mella supported the autoantibody hypothesis at some point. And daratumumab also seems to be showing some signs of working.
I mainly form my opinions based on the studies, but ultimately I also have to rely on the experts who have the expertise to interpret them. The problem I have with your position, as Margaret Williams also pointed out in her response, is that you seem to categorically dismiss some of the more recent findings and continue to base your conclusions primarily on your existing hypothesis. Of course, I understand that this is easier to do when there is still no clearly established mechanism.But we don't believe anyone in science. We evaluate the evidence for ourselves. If you not in a position to do that you shouldn't be holding any opinion at all on this, surely?
And who is suggesting that one expert's opinion settles the question? I have simply argued from evidence. I have not expected other members to take that as gospel. But I think you will find that the majority of members who have examined the evidence agree with me - on the basis of their own rational analysis. You seem to be attacking your own position attributed to someone else. You are the one with the belief in a theory. I can see about ten theories with some merit, but not one based on the current evidence on autoantibodies.
Which is what I am doing all the time, isn't it? Questioning not only others' assumptions but my own. I have shifted my position on what I think is most plausible many times here over 10 years.
That sounds awfully like clutching at straws.
The problem I have with your position, as Margaret Williams also pointed out in her response, is that you seem to categorically dismiss some of the more recent findings and continue to base your conclusions primarily on your existing hypothesis.
The reason the majority of members seem to agree with you may simply be that there are very few experts presenting a competing interpretation.
In a sense, you are one of the few experts in this particular debate, which makes your level of confidence in presenting your hypothesis all the more striking to me.
But I find it difficult to accept the categorical dismissal of autoantibodies when there are multiple studies reporting findings that point in the opposite direction.
“An open mind can learn; a mind fixed on a single perspective can only defend what it already believes.”
Since when did I 'categorically dismiss' autoantibodies?
Enthusiasts will always claim that the real antibodies show up on special tests.
The reality is that the levels of autoantibodies of this sort are hardly any different from normals in the studies that try to show a difference. Nobody should take them seriously in ME/CFS and I suspect to in 'dysautonomia' or Covid either.
The likelihood of LongCovid being autoimmune I would rate as zero. The idea that autoimmunity is triggered by infection is largely a myth.
My impression is that it’s negative, not unreliable.I understand that you are not ruling them out in principle, but that you consider the current evidence too unreliable to support the hypothesis.
Shouldn't evidence precede hypothesis?That is a fair clarification. I may have phrased my criticism too strongly by saying that you “categorically dismiss” autoantibodies. I understand that you are not ruling them out in principle, but that you consider the current evidence too unreliable to support the hypothesis.
I think the real disagreement is more about what counts as sufficient evidence.
You seem to put a lot of weight on weaknesses in individual pieces of evidence. I understand that position. But if several independent studies find abnormalities involving autoantibodies, B cells, IgG or related immune mechanisms, I don't think methodological weaknesses or imperfect replication necessarily mean that the whole hypothesis should be dismissed. That is the impression I get when you discuss autoantibodies.
It could also mean that the original hypothesis was too simplistic, that only a subgroup of patients is affected, or that we simply haven't identified the relevant antibodies or mechanism yet.
So I think the real disagreement is not whether we should follow the evidence. We clearly both agree on that. It is more about how much weight we give to the different pieces of evidence and how much uncertainty we should accept before moving away from a hypothesis.
And to be clear, I don't think the current evidence justifies saying that autoantibodies are definitely the cause of ME/CFS. I simply think the evidence is still interesting enough that this line of research deserves to be investigated further.
I think realistically, it's a cycle and you can start it either way. The important part is making the hypothesis falsifiable.Shouldn't evidence precede hypothesis?
Not necessarily. The process is often: observation /anomalie -> hypothesis -> predictions->testing -> evidence -> confirmation or refutationShouldn't evidence precede hypothesis?
But if there isn't a good observation of an anomaly in the first place - e.g., no slide showing a sufficient deviation from normal - then why would one put effort into generating a hypothesis to explain it? Something I've gleaned in passing on the forum is that many of the commonly cited anomalies among pwME don't appear to actually exist - e.g., abnormal cortisol, mitochondrial dysfunction, inflammation, etc. That's one of the biggest takeaway for me as a layperson.Not necessarily. The process is often: observation /anomalie -> hypothesis -> predictions->testing -> evidence -> confirmation or refutation
What I think you mean, however, is that a hypothesis should not be treated as established before there is sufficient evidence to support it.
I think realistically, it's a cycle and you can start it either way. The important part is making the hypothesis falsifiable.
Then let's filter them out via immunoadsorption (IA). But that doesn't work either. Why?
Yes, but the n=20 study looked much less impressive with most people only having a minor (10 points SF-36) or no response, even though they all had elevated GPRC antibodies.Something very similar happened in the 2018 study. Scheibenbogen and colleagues investigated immunoadsorption in 10 selected ME/CFS patients with elevated β2-adrenergic autoantibodies. Seven reported rapid clinical improvement, with the effect lasting 6–12 months or longer in some patients.