1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Judy Mikovits

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Hell..hath..no..fury..., Dec 10, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

2. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I have watched it, and it is a solid debunking.

Esther12 and Andy like this.
  4. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just hope none of this will "stick" in a negative way to the ME communitiy.

Articles always mention her background with "CFS" :(

5. lycaena

lycaena Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it is really good that there is Vincent Racaniello debunking J.M.s nonsense and at the same time he is an advocat for ME/CFS.

6. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Snow Leopard, Andy and Sarah94 like this.
  7. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's sad to watch - really painful :-( I've met her a few times at conferences in London and Frankfurt. Sad - nothing else to say really. She seems really traumatised by her experiences and perhaps that explains the situation. I'll leave it there.
    Joan Crawford
    Counselling Psychologist
    UK.

dave30th, Amw66, 2kidswithME and 4 others like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/AID.2020.0095

AIDS Research and Human RetrovirusesJust Accepted
    FAKE SCIENCE: XMRV, COVID-19 AND THE TOXIC LEGACY OF DR JUDY MIKOVITS
    Published Online:15 May 2020https://doi.org/10.1089/AID.2020.0095

Abstract
    One cannot spend more than 5 minutes on social media at the moment without finding a link to some conspiracy theory or other regarding the origin of SARS-CoV2, the coronavirus responsible for the COVID-19 pandemic. From the virus being deliberately released as a bioweapon, to pharmaceutical companies blocking the trials of natural remedies to boost their dangerous drugs and vaccines, the internet is rife with far-fetched rumour. And predictably, now that the first immunization trials have started, the anti-vaccine lobby have latched on to most of them. In the last week the trailer for a new ‘bombshell documentary’ Plandemic has been doing the rounds, gaining notoriety for being repeatedly removed from YouTube and Facebook. We usually wouldn’t pay much heed to such things, but for retrovirologists like us the name associated with these claims is unfortunately too familiar: Dr Judy Mikovits.

9. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean likes this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/23/how-the-plandemic-conspiracy-theory-took-hold

TiredSam and TigerLilea like this.
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is now open access. I'm not sure it was when I posted it originally. A lot of it is about what happened around a decade ago.

Sisyphus, Grigor, Sean and 2 others like this.
  12. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Only had a brief look when I saw Retraction Watch sharing it earlier today on twitter. Seems to drag ME patients into the conspiracies :(

Joh, Leila, Sarah94 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Leila

PwME aren't painted particularly well in this commentary :(

"ME/CFS was a controversial area (reviewed in Ref.8). It lacked a robust case definition, its symptoms varied widely but could be incredibly debilitating, often associated with mental health problems. And although similar symptoms can be seen in people recovering from a number of serious infections, ME/CFS sufferers complained of not being taken seriously and being accused of malingering. Mainstream medical opinion was divided, but psychiatrists had found that some ME/CFS sufferers benefitted from cognitive behavioral therapy. These findings were hugely controversial with ME/CFS activists resistant to their (erroneous) interpretation that the disease was “all in their head.” On the extremes of the ME/CFS community, some were asking whether there was an unknown agent causing their suffering that was being covered up."

I don't understand though why digging all of this up again in so much detail? Edit: I get that they want to get after her credibility by telling the whole xmrv story..but why dragging the patients into it?

14. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting this. I thought it was well-written. Never knew it was that bad and that she committed scientific fraud.

Kitty and Andy like this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, sure, it makes total sense to blame those most hurt by a debacle about which we had no direct involvement. Absolutely. Smart.

Kitty, EzzieD and Snow Leopard like this.
  16. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That piece seems to present ME/CFS patients in an unfairly bad light [edit - I guess that it partly does depend on your reading of it though - maybe I'm being unfair in this comment], and a lot of the references used related to controversies in ME/CFS don't support the claims made in the preceding sentence. How common-place was that "Trust in Judy" refrain? - the only source I could find on that seemed to indicate it was just what one patient used as a signature on a forum. Is a lot of that half-remembered gossip? When challenging a quack like Mikovits it would be nice if other researchers could hold themselves to a higher standard.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Kitty, EzzieD, Snow Leopard and 3 others like this.
  17. Leila

They make it sound like patients/activists took an active role in her keeping up her work.

I wish they had looked deeper into WHY patients put so much hope into her.

18. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wasn't around back then but weren't there patients who kept supporting her, dismissed the failed replication attempts and were aggressive towards anyone who suggested she might be wrong?

Sid, Kitty and Sarah94 like this.
  19. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Uh huh. That group may still be living somewhere on the internet. I believe they fundraised to send her to conferences. That went on for years. Some were bullied by these militants. And back in the days if you had a XMRv negative status, you didn’t have ME. It’s a dark period of our recent history as a patient community, and i hate to see it alive again through whatever she has done to get back on the scene, all for the wrong reasons, again.

Sisyphus, Sid, Kitty and 10 others like this.
  20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Heading off topic, but change "XMRv negative status" to "not diagnosed using the 'right' definition" or "your doctor diagnosed you using the term CFS" and there are examples of the same sort of behaviours around today. Not that I'm claiming that the people who engage in that behaviour now supported Mikovits then, more trying to highlight that there is still potential for that kind of abuse out there.

sea, Kitty, Cheshire and 6 others like this.