Kinesiology

Dude

Senior Member (Voting Rights)
Story time:

At the beginning of my illness, it wasn’t really clear yet where all these strange pains and symptoms were coming from. So someone in my circle of friends recommended that I see a kinesiologist.

Without even looking up what kinesiology actually was, I thought, “Sure, why not?” A friend even managed to get me an appointment pretty quickly. (Wonder why)
So I went there completely clueless, thinking it probably had something to do with massages or maybe some kind of alternative physical therapy.

Big mistake.

I was there for about an hour, and I honestly don’t think I’ve ever felt that much second hand embarrassment in my life and I wasn’t even the one doing anything :)

I was just sitting there thinking:

“Okay… this is actually happening. Surely it can’t get any weirder than this.”

The kinesiologist explained, with complete confidence, that she could use various muscle tests to figure out where my problems were coming from. And then things really got going.

She started pulling and tugging on my hand, pressing against my arm in different places, and explained that this would somehow “switch through my nervous system” and release a blockage that was causing my pain.

At that point, I was somewhere between “Are they actually serious?” and “Please let this hour be over soon.” XD

At some point she also told me that lots of people come to her and that most of their problems are solved afterwards.

And I remember thinking:

“Yeah… I can totally see why. After paying €100 for an hour of this, you probably really want to believe that everything has been fixed.”

So in the end, I was €100 poorer and had at least gained an interesting life experience.

And, of course surprise, surprise it did absolutely nothing.

But hey, at least I learned an important lesson: maybe don’t try a therapy just because a friend can get you an appointment really quickly. :)
 
Oh @Dude, I hear you. A physio couldn't help me with a particular issue once, so they referred me to their colleague, also a physio, who did "bodytalk".

The bodytalk physio had me put my hand in my mouth with my fingers in a weird configuration. Like you, I could not believe this was actually happening..

Unsurprisingly, it did not do anything. I actually still have the issue, it just eased with time to being workable.
 
Did she recommend supplements? That's usually what the testing is for. The testing alone is not remedial.
Yes, actually, some sort of probiotics. Even though they were OTC products, I still found it strange that someone without any medical knowledge would casually recommend things that supposedly help with pain. Overall, the whole experience was pretty bizarre.
 
There are 2 different things here. Looks like you were subjected to the quack one.
I'll let wikipedia explain:

Kinesiology (from Ancient Greek κίνησις (kínēsis) 'movement' and -λογία -logía 'study of') is the scientific study of human body movement. Kinesiology addresses physiological, anatomical, biomechanical, pathological, neuropsychological principles, and mechanisms of movement. Applications of kinesiology to human health include biomechanics and orthopedics; strength and conditioning; sport psychology; motor control; skill acquisition and motor learning; methods of rehabilitation, such as physical and occupational therapy; and sport and exercise physiology.

Applied kinesiology (AK), also known as muscle testing, is a pseudoscience-based technique in alternative medicine claimed to be able to diagnose illness or choose treatment by testing muscles for strength and weakness.
According to their guidelines on allergy diagnostic testing, the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology stated there is "no evidence of diagnostic validity" of applied kinesiology. Another study indicated that the use of applied kinesiology to evaluate nutrient status is "no more useful than random guessing."
 
Back
Top Bottom