1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

L-carnitine, tryptophane and d-ribose

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Marky, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting stuff, @stuck, thanks for writing:)

AliceLily likes this.
  2. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I want to write about the chemistry at a later point, right now I'll just throw in that high EPA omega 3 is what has helped my brain fog the most. That and dropping eggs for a while (I can write about that as well, but I do think it might be a special case ;) ).

Mij, Philipp, AliceLily and 3 others like this.
  3. stuck

stuck Established Member

:emoji_raising_hand:Thanks Marky ... :bag::cautious: ...not used to posting, but have a real interest in why our metabolism is upside down and how to get unstuck. Midnattsol, I also use loads of omega3(!!) and find low carb/no sugar, high protein keto type EGGS! intake helps some functioning.

Anything to get a little boost for one better conversation or get part of one task done or make it to the bath without having to lay down...it's Crazy.

4. Marky

Exactly! We`re happy for those little things haha.. Kafkaesque

AliceLily, Legend and stuck like this.
  5. Legend

Legend Established Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. But I haven't been good enough to regularize myself. As you know, when you feel better and have more energy, you automatically do more. You just don't want to lay in the sofa when you feel more energy. But maybe that's what you should do: act like "normal", as if you are having a normal ME-day. After all, it's always good to feel the feeling of good energy, even if it is false. :) Or... maybe it isn't false at all. I really don't know. That's my point of view. Good or bad ;)

AliceLily, Dolphin and Marky like this.
  6. Marky

I wholeheartedly identify with your thoughts here. I have found it profoundly difficult to contain myself whenever I feel like I`m not actively undergoing a metabolic storm. Even when in crashes I can barely walk, I will go and do something out of sheer existential stubbornness

stuck, AliceLily and Legend like this.
  7. Legend

Legend Established Member (Voting Rights)

That's how it is :) Maybe your body respond differently/more then I or anyone else here.
    I haven't known any side effects, even though I am very sensitive to new things.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2020
    AliceLily and Marky like this.
  8. Marky

True, Ill try it

I`m a bit of a sissy when it comes to trying new things for ME (even though I tried ritux happily), or like, I feel I have to read up a lot before doing it, so I just end up not trying anything haha. Would def start on a low dose :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2020
    AliceLily and Legend like this.
  9. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Back in 2012 I took D-Ribose along with 4 grams of vitamin C under Dr. Myhill's advice. I noticed no benefit what so ever. It's probably just a scam.

Marky likes this.
  10. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sure, all the time. And by 'all the time' I mean I take LCF 'everyday'... I remember to take it so realistically every 2-3 days and Ribose on demand whenever I feel like it should help. I guess benefits are mostly additive, although in a way, they are somewhat counteracting each other since LCF buffers how likely it is to put myself into PEM so it will reduce how often I get a bigger result out of the Ribose if that makes sense... Since both are better on an empty stomach and IIRC D-Ribose should be taken without anything that increases insulin for some reason (i.e. no BCAA, sugar, normal meals etc) it makes for a practical good-morning-shake on days I feel a bit off. I don't know if that is true btw, just something I read somewhere. I do usually mix in a scoop of Taurine as well which is another cheap staple for me, idk if they interfere with each other in any meaningful way I am not aware of.

It is more of a 'return to illness-normal-function' and combating the really low phases for me. It is weird in the sense that I just feel more normal rather than exceptionally good or anything, but for me that is actually really worth a lot (10%->20% absolute function is a 100% relative increase after all). I still try to pace normally and stay well below the limits of what I could do if I really wanted to, maybe that makes a difference as well...

Marky likes this.
  11. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

L-carnitine solved a problem I was having with fatty acids a few years ago. Fatty foods--and I think it was specifically the palmitic acid--made my symptoms worse. Taking L-carnitine, which is critical for fatty acid transport into cells, with a meal solved that problem. After a year or so, I no longer needed the supplement. I didn't notice any other effects on my ME from carnitine.

Tryptophan made all my ME symptoms much worse. I spent a couple of years on a low-TRP diet just to avoid the elevation in symptoms. I haven't tested my sensitivity to it lately.

13. mat

mat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I still take L-Carnitine. I take too many things to tell minor differences with this one. There was no significant and notable improvement.
    I never took Tryptophan due to prior incidents of contamination (WebMD). I still take 5-HTP instead and I could tell a significant difference with this one. I take 100mg 5-HTP with 20 - 25 mg of Vitamine B6 daily to improve serotonin levels.

14. Forestvon

Forestvon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i thought it helped but has anyone got a good source. Am in UK.
    cant remember where I got the first lot, possibly drMyhill online but when it wasnt there I got some from I think it was Bulk but it arrived very damp and hard to get out of the bag so some wasted.

Only plus was it had a green spoon with a longer handle than the usual little blue ones about half an inch long.