[...] LC-MS/MS analysis of ME/CFS plasma reveals dysregulated coagulation [...], endothelial dysfunction, [...], 2024, Nunes et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by forestglip, Jul 17, 2024.

1. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Data-independent LC-MS/MS analysis of ME/CFS plasma reveals a dysregulated coagulation system, endothelial dysfunction, downregulation of complement machinery

Massimo Nunes, Mare Vlok, Amy Proal, Douglas B. Kell, Etheresia Pretorius

Published 16 July 2024

Abstract
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a debilitating chronic condition that is characterized by unresolved fatigue, post-exertion symptom exacerbation (PESE), cognitive dysfunction, orthostatic intolerance, and other symptoms. ME/CFS lacks established clinical biomarkers and requires further elucidation of disease mechanisms. A growing number of studies demonstrate signs of hematological and cardiovascular pathology in ME/CFS cohorts, including hyperactivated platelets, endothelial dysfunction, vascular dysregulation, and anomalous clotting processes.

To build on these findings, and to identify potential biomarkers that can be related to pathophysiology, we measured differences in protein expression in platelet-poor plasma (PPP) samples from 15 ME/CFS study participants and 10 controls not previously infected with SARS-CoV-2, using DIA LC-MS/MS.

We identified 24 proteins that are significantly increased in the ME/CFS group compared to the controls, and 21 proteins that are significantly downregulated. Proteins related to clotting processes – thrombospondin-1 (important in platelet activation), platelet factor 4, and protein S – were differentially expressed in the ME/CFS group, suggestive of a dysregulated coagulation system and abnormal endothelial function. Complement machinery was also significantly downregulated, including C9 which forms part of the membrane attack complex. Additionally, we identified a significant upregulation of lactotransferrin, protein S100-A9, and an immunoglobulin variant.

The findings from this experiment further implicate the coagulation and immune system in ME/CFS, and bring to attention the pathology of or imposed on the endothelium. This study highlights potential systems and proteins that require further research with regards to their contribution to the pathogenesis of ME/CFS, symptom manifestation, and biomarker potential, and also gives insight into the hematological and cardiovascular risk for ME/CFS individuals affected by diabetes mellitus.

Graphical abstract
    [​IMG]

Link (Cardiovascular Diabetology) [Open access]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2024
    Ron, Peter Trewhitt, Turtle and 7 others like this.
  2. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cardiovascular Diabetology???

Mij, John Mac, Yann04 and 3 others like this.
  3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's been their go-to journal. Prior to this includes —

Changes in red blood cell membrane structure in type 2 diabetes: a scanning electron and atomic force microscopy study (2013, Cardiovascular Diabetology)

Poorly controlled type 2 diabetes is accompanied by significant morphological and ultrastructural changes in both erythrocytes and in thrombin-generated fibrin: implications for diagnostics (2015, Cardiovascular Diabetology)

Substantial fibrin amyloidogenesis in type 2 diabetes assessed using amyloid-selective fluorescent stains (2017, Cardiovascular Diabetology)

Inflammatory cytokines in type 2 diabetes mellitus as facilitators of hypercoagulation and abnormal clot formation (2019, Cardiovascular Diabetology)

Prevalence of readily detected amyloid blood clots in ‘unclotted’ Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and COVID-19 plasma: a preliminary report (2020, Cardiovascular Diabetology)

Persistent clotting protein pathology in Long COVID/Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 PASC is accompanied by increased levels of antiplasmin (2021, Cardiovascular Diabetology)

Proteomics of fibrin amyloid microclots in long COVID/post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 PASC shows many entrapped pro-inflammatory molecules that may also contribute to a failed fibrinolytic system (2022, Cardiovascular Diabetology)

Prevalence of symptoms, comorbidities, fibrin amyloid microclots and platelet pathology in individuals with Long COVID/Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 PASC (2022, Cardiovascular Diabetology)

4. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pretorius on editorial board… that’s why they are submitting there… doesn’t inspire confidence actually.

Editorial Board
    Victor Aboyans, MD, PhD, FAHA, FESC, Department of Cardiology, Dupuytren Hospital and Limoges University, Limoges, France
    Professor Yehuda Adler, MD, MPH, Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
    Professor Eddy Barasch, MD, St. Francis Hospital, Hartford, CT, USA
    Antonio Ceriello, MD, PhD, IRCCS MultiMedica, Milan, Italy
    Amanda J Cox, PhD, Griffith University, Southport, Australia
    Sergio Dubner, MD, Clínica y Maternidad Suizo Argentina, Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Professor Abdalla El-Mowafy, PhD, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
    Professor Ricardo J. Esper, MD, FACC, Buenos Aires University, Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Professor Gian Paolo Fadini, MD, PhD, University of Padova, Padua, Italy
    Professor Almudena Gómez-Hernández, PhD, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
    Byron J. Hoogwerf, MD, FACP, FACE, Cleveland Clinic and Eli Lilly & Co. (retired) FL, USA
    Professor Rodrigo Jiménez-García, MD, PhD, MPH, Complutense University of Madrid, Spain
    Naoto Katakami, MD, PhD, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
    Professor Robert Klempfner, MD, Tel Aviv University, Faculty of Medicine, Israel
    Gary D Lopaschuk, PhD, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
    Professor Norikazu Maeda, MD, PhD, Department of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes, Faculty of Medicine, Kindai University, Japan
    Paolo Marzullo, MD, PhD, Università Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
    Jordi Merino, PhD, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
    Professor Michael Motro, MD, FACC, FAHA, Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
    James T. Pearson, PhD, National Cerebral and Cardiovascular Center Research Institute, Suita, Japan
    Etheresia Pretorius, PhD, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa
    Giuseppe Pugliese, MD, PhD, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
    Professor Giuseppe M. Rosano, MD, PhD, M.Sc., St George's Hospitals NHS Trust University of London, London, UK
    Gil S Salles, MD, PhD, School of Medicine, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Eberhard Standl, MD, PhD, Munich Diabetes Research Group, Munich, Germany
    Professor Ki-chul Sung, MD, Kangbuk Samsung Hospital, Seoul, South Korea
    Professor Gilad Twig, MD, MPH, PhD,Institute of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Sheba Medical Center, Israel
    Charissa E van den Brom, PhD, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Professor Suowen Xu, PhD, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China
    Yung-Hsin Yeh, MD, Chung-Gung University and Chang-Gung Memorial Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan
    Jian Zhou, PhD, Shanghai Sixth People's Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China

Mij, John Mac, Wyva and 5 others like this.
  5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cohort differences in terms of age, but also substantial co-morbidities in the ME/CFS group, eg 13% with RA.

Screenshot 2024-07-17 at 12.52.00 PM.png

6. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Should Lacrotransferrin be Lactotransferrin? (near the bottom of the graphical abstract)

Yann04, Peter Trewhitt and forestglip like this.
  7. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, looks like a typo. That term doesn't appear in the paper or in Google (except one result that also looks like a typo).

Yann04, Peter Trewhitt and MeSci like this.