1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Livestream: Ron Davis to speak at Columbia University

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by John Mac, Nov 20, 2019.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

JaneL, Ben H, Yessica and 8 others like this.
  2. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

DokaGirl and Possibly James May like this.
  3. Jaybee00

4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So what is this application it wants me to download? Presumably safe?

DokaGirl likes this.
  5. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyone know if you can watch this after it has been streamed live?

Emailed OMF here's the response:
    "We have requested a copy of the talk but we do not yet know if we will be receiving one. It is yet to be determined.

Thanks,

Debby Husch

Administrative Manager

Open Medicine Foundation

www.omf.ngo"

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    DokaGirl likes this.
  6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do not understand this.

The software appears to be designed for video conferencing and doesn't seem to work for me, as my system has no microphone and no webcam - as I do not wish to talk.

I have no video and no sound, no video window, nothing, just the app.

DokaGirl likes this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Zoom is tele- and video conferencing software, it's what I've used, if I remember correctly, in all my Q&As.

DokaGirl, MEMarge and Forbin like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

If you just want to watch it should still work fine. Are you unable to connect to the meeting? I just connected in to it - the meeting ID is 746 120 765.

DokaGirl likes this.
  9. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All I have, now, is a window with lots of little mostly black boxes on, with names in.
    There is no sound or video.
    This is not a 'livestream' as advertised - at least not as I have seen them previously.

ETA - apparently I do have audio, just very indistinct - the only word I have made out so far is 'thank you', and some sniffles

DokaGirl, Louie41 and Andy like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Yep, it just hadn't started. I just checked again, they now have a placeholder image up, and a box in the bottom right where Ron will presumably be shown once it starts.

11. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nothing new.. Still seem so far from anything that will help us

DokaGirl, Hutan, Louie41 and 5 others like this.
  12. Jaybee00

Yeah not so positive.... at one point he said something about focusing on prevention rather than treatment....

DokaGirl, Louie41, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.
  13. Sunshine3

Did anyone else listen in? I'm feeling frustrated after it! I don't even sense any urgency from Dr. Davis. The something in the blood is on the go since 2016. I'd have thought that would be more worthwhile investigating than still looking for infections and pathogens. It seems obvious that it's a hit and run on the immune system.

14. Sunshine3

Oh Jesus when he said that I lifted off the bed as I just sent them some of my life time savings yesterday..

DokaGirl, Louie41, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  15. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, not obvious to everyone.

DokaGirl, Louie41, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  16. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The comments by Ron at the end about it being one or many diseases, and accuracy of clinical diagnosis were interesting.

He thinks it makes sense to consider it one disease, even though we don't know for sure, because then the prevalence is higher and bureaucrats have no excuse to further neglect funding for it. He also said something about every patient having a unique illness if one were to be strict.

Edit: I now remember that he also said something along the line of what matters is being able to recognize the phenotype, treat it and help patients and he doesn't seem to think that we need to go deeply into subtyping to achieve that.

Regarding clinical diagnosis he says the doctors they are working with seem to be highly accurate in diagnosing patients. The self diagnosed patients sometimes have ME/CFS and sometimes they don't. In some cases patients were considered to not have ME/CFS based on judgment of staff (or doctor, I'm not sure) and the subsequent nanoneedle test was normal for them. So this illness doesn't seem to be that difficult to diagnose correctly.

This is the gist of what he said, as I understood it. There might be errors.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  17. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not unlike the logic underpinning MS, truth be told.

18. Jupiter

Jupiter Established Member

Yes , nothing really new, he is talking about the same thing for two years or longer :(

I don‘t understand why they didnt test at least a few other patient with another disease just to see if the signal is so unique to ME...

DokaGirl, Hutan, JaneL and 13 others like this.
  19. JES

JES Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Regarding infections and pathogens, they confirmed over a year ago that they didn't find DNA viruses more often in the patients than in controls. But what about RNA viruses, bacteria, fungi, protozoa etc? This was still not done in the last slide set I saw.

Indeed it seems to me that a lot of things have stalled, but maybe it just looks like that from the outside. Infections: not done testing. Metabolic trap: not confirmed in vivo. Something in the blood: still no idea what it is. Mark Davis T cell work: seems to not be relevant after all. Drug status: copaxone, SS-31 and suramin identified as potential candidates, but no news about trials starting.

To me it seems that there are ideas, but things don't get finished, probably due to lack of funding.

DokaGirl, Hutan, Guest 2176 and 12 others like this.
  20. Jaybee00

Yup, IMO that’s why these people who spend all their time on twitter saying that they have the only “true disease” because they were infected by Enterovirus XYZ sub-strain 321 are not helping anyone, including themselves.

FMMM1, DokaGirl, JaneL and 10 others like this.