1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long Covid Advocacy: Is the “greatest medical scandal of the last century" being repeated for a generation of children? (about the CLoCK study)

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Trish, Apr 14, 2023.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

https://longcovidadvocacy.substack.com/p/is-the-greatest-medical-scandal-of

Is the “greatest medical scandal of the last century" being repeated for a generation of children?

Part One - The CLoCK Files, the Crisis in Paediatric Long Covid

In July 2022 Long Covid Advocacy wrote a formal complaint to UCL Research Ethics Committee regarding serious concerns about the paediatric Long Covid research study CLoCK. We had received concerns from parents about the study and decided to investigate in detail. Yet it is not just parents and advocacy groups that have concerns, it is leading doctors and researchers in Long Covid. We were fortunate that Dr Binita Kane, Dr Asad Khan, Dr Brian Holloway, Dr Clare Rayner, Dr Kelly Fearnley, Dr Ben Marsh, Dr Ian Barros D'Sa, Dr Claire Taylor, Dr Deepti Gurdasani, Ms Claire Hastie all agreed to co-sign the letter.

Why was this letter deemed necessary? Because a crisis is emerging in paediatric Long Covid. There is only one study for CYP in the UK, CLoCK, for £1.4 million. Yet it makes no attempt to biologically investigate Long Covid or find an effective treatment - where is the urgency? Yet what is at the crux of the crisis is the attempt to incorporate a behavioural model into Long Covid.

[...]

Now that we have received a response, 8 months later, on the 27th March. We have decided that it would be in the interest of the Long Covid community that the letter and response should be opened and made public. Without scrutiny and critical thinking, we risk a generation of children being lost to a model that won’t produce effective care or treatment and at worst puts them at risk of harm. That isn’t acceptable.

The response to the complaint and our critique is covered in ‘Part Two – The CLoCK Files, The Crisis in Paediatric Long Covid.’

[...]

More at link.

2. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s a pretty good list of signatories and a solid letter. As far as I can see, part two (with the CLoCK response) is promised but isn’t actually available online yet. Has anyone else found a live version?

Hutan, alktipping, Lou B Lou and 4 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had not really picked up on the CLoCK study. The letter raises some very serious issues - notably the one of informed consent.

bobbler, MEMarge, RedFox and 8 others like this.
  4. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long COVID in Children and Young People

To determine the symptoms of Long COVID-19, define Long COVID-19 and determine how many young people suffer from Long COVID-19. Please note, CLoCK is a research project that is entirely separate from the provision of clinical services.

CLoCk Team
    Professor Bianca de Stavola
    Professor of Medical Statistics

Jake Dudley
    Honorary Research Assistant

Leonard Jones
    Admin Assistant

Fiona Newlands
    PhD Student

Dr Manjula Nugawela
    Research Fellow in Quantitative Methods

Dr Snehal Pinto Pereira
    Lecturer in Population Health and Applied Statistics

Natalia Rojas
    PhD Student

Professor Roz Shafran
    Chair in Translational Psychology

Professor Sir Terence Stephenson
    Nuffield Professor of Child Health

Laila Xu
    Research Assistant

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLoCk Consortium Members
    Marta Buszewicz
    University College London

Trudie Chalder
    King’s College London

Esther Crawley
    University of Bristol

Emma Dalrymple
    PPI Lead

Professor Tamsin Ford
    University of Cambridge

Shruti Garg
    University of Manchester

Dougal Hargreaves
    Imperial College London

Anthony Harnden
    University of Oxford

Professor Isobel Heyman
    Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist at Addenbrooke’s Hospital

Michael Levin
    Imperial College London

Vanessa Poustie
    University of Liverpool

Terry Segal
    University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Malcolm Semple
    University of Liverpool

Kishan Sharma
    Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust

Olivia Swann
    University of Edinburgh

Elizabeth Whittaker
    Imperial College London

MEMarge, Hutan, Lou B Lou and 2 others like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has Part Two been published yet?

FMMM1, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Beyond that, the whole set of studies funded by this round has turned out to be a terrible waste of resources. Unless I'm mistaken, they're all completed. And absolutely nothing to show for it.

Not that research is guaranteed to produce results, but the selection of proposals was very weak and not at all aligned with the needs. Clock was especially bad, for sure, but this was a terrible allocation of priorities. I think only one study even had merit, and barely at that. Zero coherent overarching strategy or effort.

Hutan, FMMM1, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Good, clear summary, will be interesting to see what passes for a response.

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

No, not yet.

9. rvallee

I sure love a good naming and shaming when it is deserved. More of this. People are failing us. Not nature. Not fate. People. Even systems are made of people. Name them. Shame them. Send them packing, they have a great career in alternative medicine if they really want to keep doing the same crap.

This indeed important. Regardless of the overall sabotage of the guidelines, they offer the only written protection from a lot of this:
    Of course the guidelines are blatantly ignored and violated on purpose. But it is written that they're not supposed to be doing most of what they do. Which also shows blatant disregard for proper process, and especially for evidence. The deep irony of evidence-based medicine is that evidence is truly irrelevant to the paradigm.

Whenever research is this poor, when experts are failing miserably, it sadly falls on the public to hold them accountable and criticize them where the system is failing at it. This is their own failing, however. It does not reflect a public that doesn't understand science, so much as a profession that doesn't understand what their job is even about.

alktipping, Lou B Lou, obeat and 4 others like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

It's déjà vu again, folks.

alktipping, FMMM1, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

if you click on the tag 'clock study' at the top of this page, there are 7 threads relating to it.

12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I must have reckoned it was a waste of time!

13. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

RedFox, bobbler, Laurie P and 6 others like this.
  14. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the text, very interesting:

We had been made aware of a CYP who had been assigned the control group even though she had a Long Covid diagnosis and that this had been raised in the CLoCK questionnaire with no action. This raises the question that if one child has been put in the control group due to a negative test but has self-reported Long Covid and/or a Long Covid diagnosis other incidents are inevitable. This means an invalid study as the control group is contaminated.

The control group needs to be contacted to see if there are other cases of self-reported symptoms and/or Long Covid diagnosis’. This flaw will give false results and will not be in the favour of CYP. It has the ability to discredit Long Covid as connected to a Covid infection as symptoms will be seen in the control group. Relying on the unreliable, tests for Covid for a diagnosis of Long Covid, is fraught with difficulties.

This is especially important as the study;

“will assess if there are any differences between CYP who initially tested negative or positive test for covid”.​

MEMarge, John Mac, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  15. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Precisely

"For the study, published on the preprint site Research Square and funded by the NIHR and UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), researchers surveyed---!

Have no lessons been learned from PACE ---- have the APPGs been lobbied --- public money being wasted on flawed research --- post NICE review ---

Jonathan predicted all of this ---
    [https://www.s4me.info/threads/post-covid-19-syndrome-and-the-potential-benefits-of-exercise-2021-jimeno-almazán-et-al.20964/#post-350680]

Maybe we should have some grudging respect for these scam merchants --- after all, if they keep getting paid [public money] [EDIT - for] the same flawed result, then why change ----

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
    alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  16. rvallee

We can definitely see that it's not a clinical study. No confusion here.
    But the second part is a blatant lie. I don't know how these people think they're right when they have to lie so much about everything they do, but it's even more absurd that no one in the system cares, how this practice is encouraged and nurtured. Models, already a flimsy construct when they lack evidence, built on lies have no place in healthcare. And yet here they clearly are, drawing on the exact same formulaic process drawn from psychosocial research into, well, anything, really.

Especially the "in any way" is just excessive. It's in all the ways, but they can't bother putting out a half lie, they simply go all the way and tell the most excessive possible lie. Absurd. None of this happens in other professions. People with poor ethics work in every profession, but the lack of ethics has to be checked out during work hours. Not here, work hours are the time for lying, it seems. In medicine. Of all things.

The only scenario where this is not a blatant lie is the sad fact that, truly, most of this type of research, and especially BPS research, is just universally as poor as this. So in a way they feel that it's true, since it's not just ME research that is as awful as this, they can draw plentifully from equally awful "research". But we know better, the formula is identical, and the involvement of both Chalder and Crawley makes this lie especially insulting.

But given the high % of LC that is ME, this only scenario would mean they didn't bother addressing the overlap, while doing everything identical to psychosocial garbage done on ME, which as an excuse is about right where "uh, I don't even know what room I'm in right now" level of ineptitude.

Just deeply unserious. There is no leadership anywhere to be found, no quality control, no ethical protection and a deeply disturbing obsession with pseudoscience.

17. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long Covid Advocacy are doing an excellent job at calling out this mess.

RedFox, bobbler, rvallee and 9 others like this.
  18. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

What a mess of buck-passing. I don't understand why the research ethics committee that approved the research (Yorkshire/Humber/South Yorkshire REC) isn't answering the letter of complaint. I'm not sure what 'sponsor' means, but it sounds a lot like someone marking their own homework. How can this be ok?

Edit - maybe the letter writing team need to make a submission direct to the Yorkshire etc REC?

19. Hutan

One of the biggest problems is that the CLoCK study is going to say 'oh, these symptoms are very common. Look, the children who weren't infected with Covid (as evidenced by a negative test) have just the same sort of symptoms. So, Long Covid isn't a thing.'

So, again, there's trouble with a vague WHO definition of Long Covid, this time a paediatric one. I think Long Covid as a term needs to be abandoned now. Instead, refer to post-Covid ME/CFS (requiring PEM) and post-Covid fatigue syndromes (not requiring PEM).

And trouble with assuming that a negative Covid test equates to not having had Covid.

I guess we can't stop the CLoCK study, but perhaps, like the fairy godmother in Sleeping Beauty, we can limit the damage. We could demand some additions to the protocol that make it less harmful. e.g.
    * require periodic testing of the young people in the Covid negative group for Covid antibodies (not the ones given in vaccinations)? If they test positive to the antibodies, remove them from the Covid negative group.

* if people in the Covid negative group report having Long Covid symptoms (eg debilitating fatigue), take a family history of Covid infections around the time of the Long Covid onset in the young person. If close family members did have a Covid infection around the time of onset, then it can be assumed that the young person did in fact have a Covid infection, but, for some reason tests haven't found the antibodies, and so they should be removed from the Covid negative group.

* require the assessment of all young people in the study to be assessed for PEM, and for ME/CFS using a criteria that requires PEM (e.g. the NICE one, or the IOM/NAM one)

Regarding the UCL reply that it is standard practice when assessing the mental health of young people to use a questionnaire that asks about things like stealing, I think it is right to push back about this. Just because it's a standard questionnaire and has been used in assessing mental well-being in cancer, that doesn't make it right. It just compounds the harm. I can recall filling out a questionnaire for my 13 year old son, for an ME/CFS study, on whether he smoked or chewed tobacco, and if he was afraid of spiders. Enough with these stupid surveys. If it's a standard questionnaire, then update it, amend it, chuck it out and create a new one.

I think we could ask that the data from the questions of very limited relevance to Long Covid are deleted and not analysed. At the very least, we could ask that parents and the young people in the study are asked whether they would like to withdraw their data on these questions.

Edit - I note that the letter writers are calling for any reference to lockdown to be removed from the study. That seems like a good idea.

bobbler, rvallee, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  20. Hutan

It is really gratifying to see such co-ordinated and generally well-conceived push-back against the CLoCK Study. Well done to the people involved. I hope that they will keep pushing.

shak8, FMMM1, bobbler and 13 others like this.