Long Covid in the media and social media 2023

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Jan 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Medscape Children and Long COVID: How Many Are Affected?

Children are at lower risk for contracting COVID and often experience milder symptoms. But the virus is now widespread, and a recent study found that around 16% of pediatric patients with COVID go on to develop symptoms that last more than 3 months — the working definition of long COVID.

He said his team targets symptom groups. Initial management consists of a diet without sugar or refined carbohydrates. Skipping pasta and sweets can be hard for young people, but Miller said sometimes the diet alone helps.

Many have vitamin D and iron deficiencies. Others need help getting a good night's sleep. He's treated 50 with off-label low-dose naltrexone.

Some people with long COVID ― both young and old ― complain about being misdiagnosed as having depression. Miller says he see a lot of anxiety ― some situational and some biochemical ― in pediatric patients. But he cautions doctors not to treat their illness solely as a mental health problem.

RedFox, Sean, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  2. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

A lot of people have diets high in starches together with vitamin D and iron deficiencies. That's not saying a lot.

alktipping, RedFox, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Practically the general definition of a teenager' s diet
    Given the physical and emotional changes it doesn't seem surprising that there are deficiencies there's a huge requirement for chemical substrates

alktipping, Kalliope, Wyva and 4 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anxiety is generally defined as related to thoughts, as worrying. If they're going to use this "biochemically", they need to separate them completely because they have nothing to do with the psychosocial definition that is the commonly used one.

There is nothing in common between anxiety and being injected with epinephrine. Medicine really needs to end this wishy-washy stuff or they'll just remain stuck in the same old circles.

Hutan, Ash, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Raising awareness of Long Covid blue legs symptom

Raising awareness of Long Covid blue legs symptom | Corporate | University of Leeds

Hutan, Ash, Binkie4 and 4 others like this.
  6. rvallee

Also posted with a different title on their website:

The Most Important Question About Long COVID
    https://hms.harvard.edu/news/most-important-question-about-long-covid

Snyder-Cappione was particularly intrigued by long COVID's overlap with the symptoms reported in a condition called myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), which is marked by profound fatigue, exhaustion, neurologic problems, sleep disturbances, headache, joint pain, shortness of breath, and palpitations. Like long COVID, ME/CFS tends to develop following certain viral and bacterial infections.

Studying those syndromes in parallel may bring insights about shared or similar mechanisms underlying these disorders. Even though many talented scientists have dedicated efforts to understanding postinfectious syndromes over the years, these efforts have been sporadic, Levy said, mainly because conditions like EBV, CMV, or Lyme disease, for example, have lacked the numbers and urgency of long COVID. This has led to less sustained funding to define their basic biology.

"Because of this new momentum, I am hopeful that research with long COVID patients presenting with these symptoms will result in novel treatments to help those afflicted with chronic conditions caused by other pathogens and insults," Snyder-Cappione said.

This is why MassCPR is expanding the mandate of its long COVID research group, co-led by Snyder-Cappione and Levy, to incorporate the study of other postinfectious disease syndromes. To reflect the new direction, the group will be renamed Post-Infectious Clinical Syndromes.​

Unfortunately, this makes it yet another umbrella name, which Long Covid already. PICS. And yeah it felt familiar, there is already "Post-intensive Care Syndrome" with the same acronym.

Although I strongly dispute that we lacked the numbers. Tens of millions is more than enough to act, but that number, and its reality, was strongly suppressed, denied and maligned by malicious interests and misguided fools.

Hutan, Michelle, ahimsa and 7 others like this.
  7. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This a good article from a patient with Long Covid who experienced some appalling gaslighting:

Hutan, SNT Gatchaman, Binkie4 and 7 others like this.
  8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

From that article:
    Existing thread for the linked NEJM piece.

https://www.s4me.info/threads/the-n...-long-haul-covid-philips-williams-2021.21277/

Hutan, Ash, SNT Gatchaman and 2 others like this.
  9. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i thought it was a good article, but...
    i do wish people would stop calling disbelief 'gaslighting'.

Gaslighting is not the 'maddening feeling of being disbelieved', it is a form of psychological abuse designed to make the victim doubt their own experience, make them believe they are going crazy, and cannot trust their own reality or experience. Make them believe they are experiencing psychosis or true medical paranoia.

It is not... being disbelieved/dismissed/patronised/belittled, (on their own). Nor is it simply being disagreed with or someone remembering something differently.

As someone who has experienced actual gaslighting in a domestic abuse situation, the ubiquitous misuse of this term is really starting to rankle.

Dont get me wrong, i dont doubt that many medical encounters for PwME/LC qualify as unintentional gaslighting, or even occasionally intentional. The unintentional form has happened to me a few times. CBT for ME as practised a la PACE, is most definitely gaslighting because its specifically designed to make patients believe their interpretation of their own bodily experience is wrong and they need to give up their own reality in favour of that of their therapist.

But its getting so watered down and misused that its losing its meaning and that leaves abuse victims with no word for the actual abuse that takes place.

Rant over: if mods want to move this to its own thread thats fine, i know its somewhat off topic, but i've been wanting to mention this for a while now but i never seem to have the energy or emotional bandwidth to start a thread about it, but when i read it in print in that huff post article being inaccurately described, it prompted me to say something.

Edited to add: after discussing with someone privately i want to make it clear that when i say being disbelieved is not being gaslit, i meant disbelief on its own. Lots of unintentional gaslighting stems from disbelief, but simply not believing someone isnt gaslighting them.
    IMHO & according to the original use of the term.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
    Ali, Hutan, Michelle and 14 others like this.
  10. rvallee

100% right. Doctors get it completely wrong all the time. The recent misuse in another thread from the GP magazine in the UK is just one example. No wonder they don't get it when we use the term, but also they simply disbelieve us when we explain its consequences.

Gaslighting is so much more malicious, and the very premise of the biopsychosocial model is to explicitly do that. It reattributes entirely not only the cause, but the whole thing, our entire illness and how we experience it. It's more Art of war than something belonging to a medical textbook. It's so bad that MDs can't acknowledge how bad it is, it's too shocking.

Although being disbelieved about health issues is already a serious offense, in my opinion. It should never happen. It routinely happens. But with us, with issues medicine doesn't know how to deal with, it takes a very perverse twist in making everything about us being on the premise of denying our very experience, and making stuff up instead with harmful consequences.

Hutan, Michelle, Sean and 5 others like this.
  11. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes but gaslighting isnt 'denying a persons experience', its messing with their heads in a way that is explicitly designed to get them to deny their own.

(
    not suggesting you dont know that @rvallee , just pointing it out because that's iften how the term gets incorrectly used.)

Hutan, Michelle, Sean and 6 others like this.
  12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hutan and Sean like this.
  13. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does substack count as social media?

Anyway, I saw this link to Eric Topol's latest substack post on social media (mastodon):

Long-Term Long Covid
    New reports at two years and the known unknowns that lie ahead

https://erictopol.substack.com/p/long-term-long-covid
    Covid 19 - lasting impact.jpg

Hutan, RedFox, Michelle and 2 others like this.
  14. rvallee

Noticed this from some "HR Grapevine", which from the sound of it would be a publication for the human resources industry in the UK.
    [​IMG]

Although big yikes on the "likely meet the definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010". Which, although correct, means very little in real life terms.

From this thread, with a few other bits:
    Although the account posting this sees it as a bad thing, Long Covid is an umbrella term, it includes outcomes like heart disease, type 1 diabetes and likely some cancers. It's meant to account for all possible outcomes of a COVID infection, and the expectation was exactly that medicine would stratify them properly.

Properly, being the important keyword here. Now of course we still have no idea how many pwME live in the UK, since no one's counting and officially it's still the decades-old 250K count, at a single point in time. So it is a good way of hiding many. And I doubt that dysautonomia is counted at all.

Hutan, Sean, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  15. Midnattsol

Not exactly long covid perhaps, but one of the prominent "ME is psychological" Norwegian Institute of Public Health employees are in the media telling everyone not to think about (long) covid. Nothing to worry about.

Binkie4, Hutan, Ash and 5 others like this.
  16. Kalliope

Ah, yes. And in another interview today (he's been busy) he says won't be bothered to test himself if he has symptoms. That's our top epidemiologist in our country, that is. :unsure:

Hutan, Ash, mango and 6 others like this.
  17. Midnattsol

Anecdotally there are lots of people coughing at work. So even though NIPH actually advises to "stay at home if (symptomatic) sick" the attitude is that it's no problem. We even share a building with frail, mostly elderly patients.

Hutan, Ash, mango and 4 others like this.
  18. Kalliope

I am so sorry to hear that. WHO is even more clear, (use mask, keep distance, stay at home when ill and so on) so I don't understand how we are able to ignore it all completely here :-(
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

Hutan, Ash, mango and 5 others like this.
  19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Michelle, rvallee, Ash and 6 others like this.
  20. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I understand people not wanting to promote things like that, but linking to an archive site can be useful for the future. Sympathies to those in Norway...

Ash, EzzieD, Kalliope and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.