Long Covid in the media and social media 2023

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Jan 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For the record, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Twitter on August 22, 2020:

[​IMG]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If my memory serves, this was the Twitter thread from three years ago, in which Janet Dafoe had offered to provide the WHO with research studies and discusions. I had also asked for the expediting of a coding issue within this thread. Ghebreyesus ignored my request and I don't think Janet heard anything at all from him or his WHO colleagues, either.

Ariel, sebaaa, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was a huge drumbeat from the start to fully separate anything LC with ME/CFS or any existing known illness. It probably ended this very quickly, with lots of very angry experts saying they would have nothing to do with this. Although ironically, the only people who did accept that overlap was the quacks, but for the wrong reasons. Strange world.

It's still there, but the barrier has thinned out a lot. The overlap will be impossible to dismiss over time, it's just a matter of time and meanwhile it's worth taking shots at it, making it visible that all of that this could have been done right from the start, and it may create more urgency to act based on that.

Having so publicly and completely missed what was so obvious that huge numbers of people with zero medical training could see it like the damn Sun at high noon looks really bad, or at least it will eventually. It's a unique failure for an entire profession to be outpredicted so accurately this way. We have to embarrass the hell out of them for it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2023
    Ariel, sebaaa, Sean and 3 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long Covid: Plugging the gaps
    Amy Somerton and Holly Jeffrey – Assistant Psychologists with the Humber and North Yorkshire Resilience Hub – look to continue psychological care beyond the pandemic.

Long Covid: Plugging the gaps | BPS

RedFox likes this.
  4. rvallee

:sick:

The problem is not social understanding. It's medical understanding. Specifically because of the psychology-driven belief system where not understood = malingering. This entire discipline completely absolves themselves of the major role they play in continuing this perception, one that is taught to doctors. It's not random, and not some social or cultural oddity. It's a purposeful ideology.

All the money wasted on this would be far more beneficial if it was put on actually trying to solve them and build the medical understanding that will make the social misunderstanding that it causes disappear entirely. It's medicine that must look for a cure, and they aren't doing it exactly because this here is presented as not only good enough, but a full solution.

This is exactly like refusing to address poverty and hunger while putting money on therapy to deal with poverty and hunger. It's completely misplaced and does not serve the needs of those who are suffering.

Ariel, sebaaa, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

that was the emoji I was looking for.
    It's like sending psychotherapists to the frontline in wartime to 'help' those suffering.
    And in this instance they are 'assistant psychologists'; so what, we're running out of actual psychologists now?
    Social care is almost non existant now and we have 'assistant psychologists'?
    :facepalm:

Ariel, rvallee, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Archived here. Eg:

Ariel, EzzieD, livinglighter and 5 others like this.
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean, Ariel and RedFox like this.
  8. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just sharing this S/O in Mass ME's August Newsletter today

[​IMG]

Dolphin, livinglighter, mango and 7 others like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

RedFox and Amw66 like this.
  10. Sly Saint

I have long covid. For the millions like me, the pandemic isn’t over.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/08/09/madeline-miller-long-covid-post-pandemic/

Laurie P, EzzieD, Amw66 and 9 others like this.
  11. rvallee

At least, a main focus of Long Covid is really PEM. It makes the fanatical crusade of the ideologues so much more damning, especially with their bleating and whining about the NICE guidelines and backroom manipulations. It is THE feature of our illness. And they focused most of their career and efforts erasing it, simply cannot accept that what they don't understand still exists.

ME may not be getting the attention it deserves out of Long Covid, but PEM is. It's impossible to put it back in the box. There is still heavy resistance because that's not how medicine works, they don't know what to do with symptoms and until the physiology of PEM is understood there is little that can happen.

But at least the efforts can focus on the most important aspect. It's a damn shame they aren't yet, I don't think there's anything at all about it in the RECOVER initiative. But we have crossed the damn Rubicon. The rest of the journey ahead is long but there is no turning back from it.

Michelle, EzzieD, Sean and 7 others like this.
  12. Amw66

13. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
    RedFox, Kalliope and Sean like this.
  14. Sly Saint

Opinion | The next Covid surge is here. We can't ignore it.
    https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/long-covid-surge-2023-rcna97597

Michelle, Laurie P, Ariel and 8 others like this.
  15. Dakota15

Obviously very very trivial again but I did see that Dr. Marrazzo (new NIAID Director) “liked” this below yesterday on Twitter from Madeline Miller who wrote the Washington Post feature on LC yesterday.

upload_2023-8-10_13-26-42.png

oldtimer, Hutan, Michelle and 12 others like this.
  16. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A look at her twitter feed shows attention to LC.

Hutan, Michelle, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  17. Dakota15

I sent the STAT News reporting to her yesterday, about NIH's underwhelming RECOVER trials.

She replied back "Thank you for the outreach. Really hope we can make some progress ASAP as I know many are suffering." Just sharing for visibility.

Hutan, Michelle, rvallee and 11 others like this.
  18. Sly Saint

Cause of long COVID remains most troublesome question about the syndrome
    Harvard Medical School

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-08-covid-troublesome-syndrome.html

Sean, Hutan, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  19. Amw66

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2023
  20. rvallee

Ror Preston is the lead data scientist at Visible Health.
    [​IMG]
    Simon Wessely was president of the RSM a few years ago, which later awarded him for his career's work, including his ideological dedication to suppress the reality of ME/CFS and for pushing the gaslighting behavioral model of CFS. He remains one of the leading figures standing against Long Covid research and anything good for the millions suffering from LC will be terrible for his reputation.

For sure there will be arm-twisting happening behind the scenes.

Binkie4, Ash, alktipping and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.