Long Covid in the media and social media 2023

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Jan 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

More on this story:

Dutch Post-Covid physicians and scientists no longer wait for governmental research programmes - they now start their own
    programmes...

Source,

https://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenscha...-zelf-onderzoek-doen-naar-postcovid~b5c4917b/

No paywall,
    https://archive.ph/B4z9

In order translate the text from Dutch to English, copy the text to,
    https://translate.google.com/?sl=nl&tl=en&op=translate

Hutan, Binkie4, Sean and 3 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Legitimacy isn’t binary but a spectrum. ME like LC has some legitimacy. There has been a reasonable amount of fundraising for ME/CFS research in some countries but not so much others. For example, in your country Canada there was no research fund until the Open Medicine Foundation Canada started there a few years ago. So presumably virtually no fundraising for research in a country of 38 or so million people. That’s not a good strategy to ensure speedy research progress because, to get back to my original point in reply to the Twitter comment, governments don’t fund enough research to ensure speedy progress for all illnesses. I think this attitude that governments are responsible for speedy research progress is what has held ME/CFS research progress back and the same could happen with long Covid (though long Covid does have an advantage over many illnesses in terms of government funding).

In life, I don’t think it’s a good strategy to wait till things are perfect before doing things (including fundraising for research). Lots of charities in general don’t have universal support but can still exist and make a difference just fine.

Anyway this has gone a bit off topic.

3. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perfection being the enemy of good is what they call that in NL and I think in English too. I think the WASGF3 finding illustrates that point to a degree, starts out with a woman writing to a researcher and that researcher doing an n=1 study. Might become something more. I've been trying to get people to donate, sign petitions etc. and it's frustrating as hell, but then when you see a couple familiar names pop up on change.org or you hear that your cousin has transferred a bit of money to a charity(omf in this case) it kinda feels worth it.

I also think people are more inclined to help when they see you trying to help yourself, whether that be governments or just people you know. I know there are lots of people that simply can't because of the severity of their disease and a lack of resources, but from my own experience telling people that I'm donating a little bit of money has made it easier to persuade a few others to do so too.

Binkie4, Ash, oldtimer and 7 others like this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Dolphin

Same applies whether the money is public and private and the converse is also true: people leave fields when there is a lack of funds

ukxmrv, Sean, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  6. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A Swedish radio program (audio, 20 minutes).

Vetenskapsradion på djupet: När tröttheten efter pandemin hänger kvar – här är behandlingarna som testas mot postcovid
    https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/na...ar-ar-behandlingarna-som-testas-mot-postcovid
    I haven't been able to listen to this one myself. A friend who has listened to it told me that "former ME patient" Hanna Fries says she is nearly recovered now, thanks to various medications and a neuroplasticity program.

Solstice, Peter Trewhitt and Sean like this.
  7. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Article in the Times today on Long Covid, specifically how to treat/recover from it predominantly based on one interview with a doctor from a LC clinic: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...id-the-experts-on-what-really-works-x608dqjm0

The clinic is Oxford, and tbf the stuff from the doctor there isn't that bad (at least emphasises rest genuinely, notes that research has been based mainly on those who had severe covid and breathing issues acutely so isn't the same demographic that is at long covid clinics etc) apart from the sleep advice being the usual generic sleep hygeine and don't nap too much. I don't understand how someone can get the rest stuff and not push through, but not get that the sleep stuff might be related to the exhaustion of that and basically be talking about pushing through on sleep. But hey maybe that's just me that sees that fallacy as barn-door obvious and always has.

Anyway a few concerns on the article seems to be inserts that I could assume come from the journalist themselves as they aren't 'quoted' necessarily, but the second one of these is a bit of a 'classic' re: 'recovery' being about 'understanding recovery looks different to what you think it will' and the first being a dodgy as... description of the lightening process as if it is something benign that if it didn't come from the doctor (and even if it did) didn't need to be in there so makes me suss of 'connections/conflicts of interest':

I don't understand how the medical profession can self-talk themselves into this delusion, which seems to be the psychosomaticists basically tricking everyone about their method being 'help' rather telling patients to learn to put-up-and-shut-up and measuring that, normally coerced, survey response whether it makes their health, life and happiness much worse or not. But I suspect psychosomaticists put the wellbeing of patients at the bottom of the stakeholder pile in their 'medicine', so...

ukxmrv, EzzieD, Wonko and 5 others like this.
  8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Goal shifting and gaslighting, par excellence.

rvallee, RedFox, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  9. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

In NRK today, Stavanger University Hospital have received funding to research long covid and genes: Never recovered from corona: - Without her, there would have been a hook on the door

- What is absolutely certain is that long covid is not imaginary, but has a biological cause, says Roald Omdal, senior physician and professor emeritus at Stavanger University Hospital.

:thumbup:

Last time Roald Omdal was in the news talking about Post Viral Fatigue having a biological cause, the article was accompanied by Vogt talking about psychosocial causes. PS is thankfully missing from this article.

ukxmrv, Amw66, Solstice and 13 others like this.
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

bobbler, ukxmrv, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  11. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Most people would respond to follow-ups from a good clinic that helped them. If they're not bothering to respond, it's an evaluation on your service. And that evaluation is: zero.

Hard to square the whole "gushing about LP" when this is literally what it is. I guess they don't bother checking.

The emphasis on "people can recover" is just weird at this point. Of course they can, it just happens less when people are sick longer, and the whole confusion has happened precisely because chronic illness is not counted and not diagnosed until it's past the point where recoveries are few, a completely arbitrary decision. What a dumb own goal that also happens to kick people in the face.

RedFox, Sean, bobbler and 5 others like this.
  13. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can see why they think ‘CBT’ and reframing how you see it works as people who are HCPs and not ill: if only we accept WE are the problem for calling being debilitated ‘a problem’ instead of distorting our thinking and nasty communications like them (which IS basically bigotry ie the definition of, core of, heart of what bigotry is ) and stopped expecting anything then it’s all great for THEM.

A whole system set up to remove the patient voice or body observations from existing - they just do what they fancy and ignore hearing or seeing the outcome and when they do ‘rephrase it’ as fine for us

Whilst of course at the same time such people also tend to give no leeway in workplaces or as friends for when we can’t do something on time or get up to get somewhere early etc and worse than hearing it and snarling at it just ‘won’t hear it’ when you say the reality snd they stick their replacement words in your mouth. They just disappear a person I can’t tell you how viscerally violating of one’s body that is yet gif some reason they think they atttitudd not the worst bigotry by de-existing reality ever.

even when they write that their claims are based on no facts and no follow up you can hear that they believe they are saying the opposite - it’s weird and so so so deluded

EzzieD, Solstice, Arnie Pye and 4 others like this.
  14. Sean

Once people finish coming to Fraser’s clinic they often don’t respond to follow-up queries, so it is hard to know exactly how fully they have recovered

Or even if they partially 'recovered' in the first place, in any meaningful sense.

ukxmrv, rvallee, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  15. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Op-ed: Improving long COVID treatment by learning from the past
    https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/h...ng-covid-treatment-by-learning-from-the-past/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2023
    Dakota15, bobbler, Trish and 5 others like this.
  16. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Soooo... the co-authors are jumping on the BPS wagon then? Who could have guessed that?

bobbler, Ash, Trish and 3 others like this.
  17. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Ash, rvallee and 9 others like this.
  18. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed and I'll add that how real a patient's symptoms are treated is a spectrum too with psychologized physical symptoms scoring the lowest but the BPS Brigade try to portray us as irrational for not wanting to associate our illness with anything psychological. They can cry "Stigmatizing mental health" all they want but it won't change the reality of how we're treated.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
    Ash, rvallee, Sean and 6 others like this.
  19. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that just by saying mental health is so stigmatized they're in fact stigmatizing mental health.

Ash, rvallee, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  20. Sean

Nothing could possibly stigmatise mental health more than inappropriate mental health diagnoses.

And here we are.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    RedFox, bobbler, Arnie Pye and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.