1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

'Long Covid Research Initiative' and Polybio funded to research viral persistence and antiviral treatments

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by SNT Gatchaman, Jul 19, 2022.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PolyBio Research Foundation Receives $1.3 Million Gift to Advance the study of SARS-CoV-2 Viral Persistence in patients with LongCovid

https://polybio.org/portfolio/intestinal-tissue/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2022
    Lou B Lou, Ariel, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I like the sound of this study, even though I'd normally be wary of PolyBio. Was this the study that Putrino and Proal didn't get funded by the NIH? If so, why didn't it get funded?

Lou B Lou, Ariel, sebaaa and 2 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Ariel, Binkie4 and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  4. LarsSG

LarsSG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The one Putrino didn't get from NIH was on microclots, so I think entirely different (apparently, they didn't provide any reviewer comments, so no info on why it didn't get funded).

Ariel, Binkie4, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  5. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As well—Did they (AP) manage to get a lab anywhere by chance? I’m guessing they are just passing the money through to Mehandru.

Hutan likes this.
  6. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2022
    Hutan and Dolphin like this.
  7. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A mention of ME/CFS

About PolyBio Research Foundation

PolyBio Research Foundation is a 501(c)3 transforming how infection-associated chronic conditions like LongCovid, ME/CFS & Post-Treatment Lyme disease are studied, diagnosed, and treated. PolyBio was founded by scientists with complementary expertise (neuroscience, microbiology & genetics). The core PolyBio team conceptualizes research projects that identify root cause drivers of these conditions, and build collaborative teams to make the projects a reality.

Hutan, Lou B Lou, Ariel and 2 others like this.
  8. RoseE

RoseE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Post copied from the New Zealand news thread.

Radio NZ reporting tonight...
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/47...ces-to-study-leading-theory-behind-long-covid

It doesn't sound like they are looking at ME/CFS research or collaborating with??

9. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Scientists seek $100mn to research long Covid

Subscription required to view
    https://www.ft.com/content/5d25e42e-b59d-41a4-a69c-214d5872efe6

Also mentioned here:
    https://www.reuters.com/business/he...-leading-theory-behind-long-covid-2022-09-08/

Hutan, Ariel, Jaybee00 and 1 other person like this.
  10. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It doesn't seem like this organization is new, just that they've received a large donation and are starting a major push for funding. A positive development nonetheless.
    Their website: lc19.org
    Their Twitter: research_long
    While their website doesn't seem to mention ME/CFS, their news page has a list of researchers with many familiar faces. They claim to be collaborating with the likes of Amy Proal, David Putrino, and David Systrom.

Mij, Fizzlou, Dolphin and 4 others like this.
  11. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Proal is the Chief Scientific Officer for LCRI.

SNT Gatchaman and Trish like this.
  12. Jaybee00

Can you provide a link for this?

Why is Systrom associated with this group?

This will be a massive waste of money as it is a project of Amy’s to demonstrate that there are viruses that are causing the symptoms of LC/MECFS.

For those new to this arena, Amy Proal’s major contribution to science is pushing a pseudoscientific theory called the Marshall Protocol.

http://www.cureality.com/blog/post/2008/03/31/the-marshall-protocol-and-other-fairy-tales.html

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-marshal-protocol/

Ariel likes this.
  13. Dakota15

14. Dakota15

15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Haven't read much yet, but there is more. Much more.
    Although, I think this may be all for nothing. I just saw Gaffney's wife whining about red flags in this research and she noticed that it appears that they are researching "untested theories" (she must have meant hypothesis but whatever), and that's just not allowed, obviously. In science we only research things we already know about, obviously. I'm not sure how she thinks scientific theories happen. Probably something about birds and cabbages.

In all of this, it's one of the most annoying things, that the people who successfully impeded this, who ruined millions of lives, are such small, tiny, mediocre thinkers with mediocre opinions.

Also, you see, it was funded by private tech money. And that's just truly awful. I'm sure she has identical takes about the same issue with other diseases. Oh, yeah.

EzzieD, Chezboo, Ariel and 5 others like this.
  16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Who is Gaffney and what is the relevance of his wife's comments to this research? I'm confused.

BrightCandle and alktipping like this.
  17. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Adam Gaffney is a serial commentator and physician/influencer who has painted Long Covid as a form of mass hysteria. He’s spoken favorably on the FND construct and penned a piece in which he was rather effusive toward Simon Wessely.

His wife is a prominent journalist who holds similar views and is far more pugilistic in her communications. She was criticizing the formation of this Long Covid research initiative on multiple grounds. In my opinion, they are adversaries of every patient in this forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2023
  18. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I doubt it makes sense to hold against someone the fact that they attributed their recovery from ME some years ago to a quack protocol.

Amy Proal seems to be successfully getting funding and recruiting other scientists to do useful sounding research. I think we should look at this on its merits, not on one person's past personal history.

19. Jaybee00

She didn’t just attribute her recovery to the Protocol. Virtually her entire “scholarly” and “academic” career was spent researching this “protocol” with Trevor Marshall.

If you want an expert on auto-immunity, I would defer to @Jonathan Edwards and not Amy and Trevor.

Bogus biological research is just as bad as bogus BPS research, but Amy has the potential to waste a great deal more money than the BPS folks.

See her publications with Marshall here

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,10&q=AD+proal&btnG=

ukxmrv, Trish, RedFox and 1 other person like this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Had not noticed that. Lots of private money behind this. Looooooooots of money and life sciences technology.
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1568319573887254531

Then again, Davis is pretty much as big as Venter science-wise, just not as commercially-oriented.