1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long-Haul Post–COVID-19 Symptoms Presenting as a Variant of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: The Swedish Experience, 2021, Johansson et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Wyva, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

Major clinical centers in Sweden have witnessed an inflow of patients with chronic symptoms following initial outpatient care for coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19) infection, suggestive of postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. This report presents the first case series of 3 Swedish patients diagnosed with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome more than 3 months after the primary COVID-2019 infections. (Level of Difficulty: Beginner.)

Open access: https://www.jacc.org/doi/10.1016/j.jaccas.2021.01.009

sebaaa, ahimsa, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  2. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a friend in the states who is really struggling with post-Covid POTS.

sebaaa, MEMarge, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  3. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

 Exercise training Aerobic: 30+ min 4 days/week with some leg resistance training Will initially feel poorly and/or worse for up to 6 weeks Initial recumbent exercise, such as a rowing machine, recumbent cycle, or swimming are preferred . started out well recognising pots as a common symptom and then they add this ffs

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Even if you are well, but merely deconditioned, that recommendation is far from ideal from an exercise physiology perspective. More time at a constant intensity (rather than shorter amounts of exercise at varying levels of intensity) and more times per week isn't necessarily better, especially when getting started.

sebaaa, Starlight, Sid and 4 others like this.
  5. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This January article on Post-Covid POTS said:
    I'm not sure if myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle) is supposed to be a cause of POTS, but, if asymptomatic COVID-19 patients were developing POTS, wouldn't that pretty much undermine the idea that POTS is related to deconditioning? I mean, if you've been generally asymptomatic, it's pretty hard to attribute your rapid heart beat upon standing to too much bed rest.

I don't know for a fact if POTS is commonly attributed to deconditioning. All I know is that when doctors saw my high heart rate (and other symptoms) upon standing they just recommended more exercise (which was no help at all).

6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reading about POTS it seems to me that it is not a single disease, but something that is the end point of different things that are going wrong in the body and so considering it as one process could lead to inappropriate treatments for many people.

Off the top of my head, there could be vascular causes, neuropathic causes, brain damage, heart damage and so on.

7. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And if you look at orthostatic intolerance rather than just those that meet the diagnostic criteria for POTS the potential for heterogeneity becomes even greater.

8. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remembered reading somewhere that heart problems should be ruled out before a diagnosis of POTS and wanted to look it up but then ended up on this POTS website, where I got distracted by the list of associated conditions. They included hypermobility and MCAS but not ME/CFS, how odd: https://www.potsuk.org/associated_conditions2

alktipping, sebaaa, Mithriel and 4 others like this.
  9. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)