Loss of smell and taste

Discussion in 'Neurological/cognitive/vision' started by forestglip, May 31, 2024.

Tags:
?

Did you have ME and a significant loss of smell or taste before the COVID pandemic happened?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did the first test.

I did not detect cinnamon in all five 0 drop tubes as well as 4 drops and 8 drops. And also, strangely, 44 drops.

I did smell cinnamon in the rest of them:
    12 16 20 24 28 32 36 40 48 52 56 60

So I think I need to lower the concentration of all the tubes by about half, and add more tubes, to get more accuracy day to day since I seem to detect around 8-12 drops but they go to 60.

44 was also the last one, so I might have gotten it wrong because of smell fatigue. I'm taking at least two deep breaths between tubes to try to clear my nose and add some delay to minimize this issue.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
    alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

If you're doing this indoors, maybe there's a problem of build up of cinnamon smell molecules in the air around you.

3. forestglip

Probably. I was thinking having a fan for good air circulation might help.

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  4. forestglip

I decided to switch to essential oils as the odor, so that it can actually dissolve evenly in the solvent. And for the solvent, I used some fractionated coconut oil from Walmart (totally odorless to my nose).

I tried getting a rough idea of the concentration that I can smell, but I feel like I can detect the irritation from the trigeminal system at concentrations far below where I smell any pleasant olfactory lemongrass odor.

I'm pooped after trying a bunch of different concentrations. I kept diluting and diluting, but was still feeling some mentholy irritation in my nose. I worry there won't be as clear of a dividing line between can and can't smell as I had hoped. I'll dilute it a bunch more, I guess, and see if I ever stop detecting it.

An option I'm considering, to control for the trigeminal activation, is to have all test tubes also have another essential oil. I bought two bottles, the second is a mix of oils and includes peppermint, which I think is mainly trigeminal-activating.

So each tube might have, say, 1 drop of peppermint oil, but varying amounts of lemongrass. And I'll need to detect the lemongrass scent getting through the other scent.

--

The plan, if I make a good test, would just be to track my sense of smell every day, and look for correlations with foods.

I log the weight of every food I eat into an app called Cronometer. It has a database of pretty much every food you can get at big grocery stores, at least in the US. And it also has data on amounts of all the labeled macro- and micro-nutrients in every food.

So I'd like to see if I can detect any correlations of anosmia with amounts of some random micronutrient, like iron or calcium - I'd also check for delayed effects.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
    Peter Trewhitt likes this.