Magnesium

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Hutan, Apr 23, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oral magnesium definitely affects me: muscle pain that has me staggering round the bedroom trying to find a way to get rid of it.

I've tried several sorts of magnesium over the years, because I'd either forgotten it was a supplement caused the screeching muscle pain or which supplement it was, and because I'm a halfwit. :rolleyes:

Sasha, Arnie Pye, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  2. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems like quackery. There's many forms of magnesium with high solubility in water and thus high bioavailability.

3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have you tried magnesium oil? It isn't a true oil - it has no hydrocarbons in it. It is rubbed on the skin. It can be bought ready made or, with the right ingredients, people can make it themselves.

I have no idea how well the magnesium is absorbed from mag oil, but it does get mentioned quite often online.

https://themagnesiumperfection.com/introduction/make-your-own-magnesium-oil/

Peter Trewhitt and Sasha like this.
  4. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It does leave your skin quite sticky, though - but yes, it is supposed to be absorbed well that way.

Arnie Pye and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've tried it but it seems to upset my skin and it didn't seem to have any noticeable effect on me otherwise, unfortunately.

Arnie Pye, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Amw66, Arnie Pye and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Sasha

Thanks, Mij. I seem to have read it a bit differently to you, though - my understanding is that he's saying that he took what he thought is a rubbish test of Mg levels (the serum test) after supplementing that showed his levels as normal but when he did what he considers a more accurate test, it showed him as deficient. So I think he's just saying that, despite supplementing with Mg, he thinks that he's deficient and that he's planning to try different supplements, including Remag (the 'pico' one).

I've read this notion before, that a serum test is useless because your body will raid your bones to keep serum levels of Mg where they should be. @Jonathan Edwards, is that true or just folklore? I keep getting normal (serum) Mg blood test results back but I wonder if they mean anything. I don't think that other tests are available in the UK.

MeSci, Arnie Pye and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  8. Sasha

Here's an example of a legit paper that talks about the problems of determining Mg status using various tests...

RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I believe it is true that most of your magnesium is not in the blood, but I am sceptical that this means that blood tests are no use. A lot of your calcium is in your bones but blood tests are still useful. The NHS will make use of whatever is the most useful test. I think it very unlikely that you need anything terribly expensive to measure intracellular magnesium if that were the most useful.

The story of the guy getting a special test for $700 sounds like a quack rip-off.

I don't see any good reason to think anyone with ME eating a reasonably normal diet should be short of magnesium. If it were a real problem someone would have written up some severe cases going ago.

10. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I posted this chart earlier concerning testing results through Exa test 4 weeks before and after applying magnesium oil and foot soaks. This is the magnesium oil I use:
    https://www.ancient-minerals.com/transdermal-magnesium/

The chart in the link above indicates a drop in calcium which is what I experienced after taking mg injections.

I was tested over 20 years ago (RBC magnesium) and my levels were in the 'low' range which indicated to the biochemist that I consulted with that I was deficient. I had breathlessness, leg stiffness and head rocking similar to a form of Parkinsonism. I had obvious symptoms that went away soon after taking mg sulfate injections. So I can conclude I was deficient.

I've been applying magnesium oil to maintain mg levels b/c I don't absorb supplements very well through the gut. That is only my experience and I'm continuing with what seems to work for me.

MeSci, Hoopoe, Sasha and 3 others like this.
  11. Sasha

I think the claim is that people in general these days are eating a magnesium-deficient diet due to depleted minerals in soils, and that people with certain gut issues have problems absorbing magnesium through the gut. I don't think it would be an ME-specific problem necessarily, although I remember in the 80s having Mg (intramuscular?) injections because there was an idea that it could help PwME (though I can't remember why, after all this time).

12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That isn't credible to me, @Sasha. The main problem with soils these days is serious over-treatment with mineral fertilisers. And you can see the magnesium in food - it is what makes the leaves green!

Absorption through the gut may be impaired with chronic diarrhoea in serious cases of Crohn's perhaps but again it otherwise seems very unlikely to be relevant.

alktipping, MeSci, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  13. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Magnesium is the 7th most common element in the Earth's crust, so I'm skeptical about soil depletion. However, diet is a big factor. For example, whole grains have a lot more Mg than refined grains. Even water supply has a small effect.

Sasha, MeSci, Trish and 3 others like this.