Massive Science article: We must reckon with our ableism if we want healthcare to work for people

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by rvallee, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know about people with fibromyalgia. But people with thyroid disease who complain of not getting well on the standard (under-) treatment are referred to, directly to their faces quite often, as drug addicts and drug-seekers. Many doctors appear to be oblivious to the fact that T3 is a hormone made by the body in healthy people, and hypothyroid people or people who've had thyroidectomies have less of it than healthy people.

MEMarge, alktipping, janice and 5 others like this.
  2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:thumbup:

Absolutely. If a disabled person is receiving government support, and their doctor doesn't believe them, they could be seriously hooped. Lose the house, the relationship, maybe the children if there are any, and on and on it goes.

"precious bunch of snowflakes"::rofl::laugh::thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    MEMarge, alktipping, janice and 4 others like this.
  3. DokaGirl

@Peter Trewhitt

11 inch long stainless steel surgical instrument: that's terrible. And, to be repeatedly dismissed.

I hope the goof up was recorded and appropriately reported. Very sloppy and neglectful on someone's part.

In Canada there is a registry for these mistakes. Not sure if it's per Province, or nationally. Amazing the things that are left in surgical patients.

4. DokaGirl

Twice, in hospital settings I have not been believed about health issues unrelated to ME. It's demeaning to be treated like a fraud, not deserving of respect; in fact, just the opposite.

In the end, the issues were both treated. But not without insults and uncalled for criticisms.

Woolie, alktipping, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is probably true, though some doctors can be a bit terse.

A friend had a sudden sharp pain which sent him to A&E. He was told "It's your age" and sent on his way upset and fuming (and in pain!). Later he spoke with an orthopaedic nurse who explained that the problem was caused by tissues becoming lax as you age (?) and that it would heal itself with the usual RICE protocol, paracetamol and a bit time.

He was perfectly happy with that as his pain was acknowledged and the problem explained. It would have taken the first doctor less than a minute to say all that but he had forgotten that he is a trained doctor while patients have other skills with a different knowledge base.

Sadly, as the BPS advances I can easily see that people with MUS will have difficulties getting other problems acknowledged and treated because of the pernicious myth that doing a test or giving a treatment will just make the patient believe they are ill so the caring doctor will avoid that.

MEMarge, Woolie, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  6. DokaGirl

Yes, @strategist , totally agree.

Repeatedly hearing "I can't find anything wrong", can be devastating for a patient who has torturous symptoms with no relief. There are choices, one of them is to try and take things into our own hands. An expensive endeavour with varied outcomes. This is where the patient, hoping to be helped, and gain some belief, might earnestly press photocopied articles into the hands of physicians, as @Hutan said.

Yes, when a formerly healthy active person suddenly can't walk a few feet, can't recall simple things, is in constant unrelieved pain, can't do simple chores, can't even stand for a few minutes without feeling faint, hears that there is nothing wrong, it's the exact opposite of reassuring.

(People on both sides of the consult desk have not been served at all well by the larger medical structure where ME is concerned.)

(Researchers have found abnormalities in ME. Unfortunately to date, not consistent abnormalities. Except, as discussed on another thread, perhaps the 2 day CPET research.)

MEMarge, Woolie, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Generally it's the belief that most illness is the product of behavior and life choices, something most physicians are guilty of, for a variety of reasons that include this being part of medical training in some way.

But this is really the divide, how medicine deals only with disease, not illness, which is the intersection of disease and patient. If we don't know the disease, then the obligation is to work at it until we do. Doing nothing is simply not a conscionable choice, being insultingly disrespectful of patients for medicine's own failures is about as dishonorable as it gets.

alktipping, Chezboo, Mithriel and 4 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You're thinking of it in the sense of "even if something were found they wouldn't do anything", which rarely happens. What this means is that they won't even be looking, hence will not find anything, and feel pretty darn good about it. This is how it always goes.

It's the same thing with the issue of MS having been dismissed as psychosomatic. Someone diagnosed with it may not have been and the disease itself was not, but many with MS were not even tested, therefore easy to dismiss as psychosomatic. If they found it they would take it seriously. But they don't look for it, because of the weird tropes about the "sick role" or whatever.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  9. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It did end up in the courts, though my friends had not been concerned about compensation, rather sorting out what went wrong, both in surgery and in the subsequent 18 months it took to get the X-ray. Unfortunately they were never even given an apology by any of the various services involved, despite ultimately winning the case.

MEMarge, Woolie, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you want to be openly derogatory about all doctors that's fine by me but as a doctor it doesn't ring true.
    Most doctors would like to do their best for people but they get fed up if people have unreasonable expectations associated with diagnoses that don't mean anything useful.

Surely the divide here is that the patient wants the disease label but the doctor just wants to try to help with illness. Doctors are quite used to not knowing what causes people to be ill and trying to help all the same. It doesn't help to have someone say their fibromyalgia is causing them migraines and all their friends have botox so they want botox. As far as the doctor is concerned the person has some sort of headache and they might be able to work out the best advice if the patient hadn't already decided what they want.

FMMM1, Michelle, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  11. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And doctors compound the problem...

Doctor : Good news, Mrs X, your test results are all normal. <Doctor gives a big beaming smile.>

Patient : But I don't feel any better, what can I do. <Patient looks miserable and not at all gratified.>

Doctor : <Looks pissed off because the buggers never want to be better, and why isn't the patient pleased that their results are all normal?>

MEMarge, Woolie, janice and 8 others like this.
  12. DokaGirl

@Jonathan Edwards

When I put myself in a physician' shoes as @Hutan did earlier in this thread, I get some of how it must be. To be a doctor in an enormous system where one has to abide by many rules and requirements. And how frustrating it must be when there are constraints on testing, appointment schedules, unhelpful guidelines, a system that is log-jammed, little to no training on diseases such as ME, no where to refer patients to etc., etc.

And, one doctor, one cog in a giant health care machine is just one cog.

Both sides of the consult desk are at times, not served well by the health care system.

Woolie, janice, Sean and 5 others like this.
  13. DokaGirl

@Jonathan Edwards

I agree Fibromyalgia is over used. ME was the diagnosis given to me by a ME expert. But another health care provider, neither a ME nor FM expert said I have FM. I do not have FM.

I know of someone diagnosed as having Fibromyalgia who only had one symptom of FM - pain. They do not have Fibro.

I think Fibromyalgia is a definable condition as per the Carruthers case definition. However, it's used as a grab bag like cfs is.

Stating the obvious here: it would be so much better to have clarity on these conditions.

MEMarge, Woolie, janice and 5 others like this.