Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS) - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Immune: Autoimmune and Mast Cell Disorders' started by Dakota15, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Milk doesn't contain gluten.

The study by Rowe is about milk protein but it looks to be extremely badly done. It is difficult to know how accurate the report is but apparently there is no test for milk protein intolerance so it was just diagnosed on hunch. People diagnosed on hunch were better after stopping milk. This is the sort of pseudoresearh that we spend most of our time trying to bring to a halt - PACE, SMILE, whatever. We cannot complain about bias in BPS studies unless we are fully aware just how much it affects all studies.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  2. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed, Typo - I meant to quote milk ( lactose) and gluten. Apologies!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  3. Jonathan Edwards

But lactose is something different again - not milk protein as in the Rowe study.
    We need some proper biology here.

4. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read the study, but elimination diets are the gold standard for food sensitivities. If symptoms reappear upon testing (preferably blinded) that is seen as proof of the sensitivity - and then you test again later to see if it has gone away. The symptoms listed could have many other causes though, and I would not jump to "milk allergy" if a patient told me about them (except in the case of infants).

5. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

which study by Rowe about food proteins? Is there a link to that I missed?

Invisible Woman likes this.
  6. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Histamine Intolerance and MCAS seem to be used interchangeably but as far as I know there is a difference. I wonder if this is leading to people being misdiagnosed with MCAS (assuming MCAS is a genuinine clinical entity in itself).

9. Jonathan Edwards

I am not clear that either of these are meaningful?
    A number of foods stimulate histamine release in the GI tract - strawberries and seafood I think most often. Histamine is otherwise a normal mediator in most tissues. MCAS seems to be a category so ill-defined that it has no clinical value.

alktipping, EndME, FMMM1 and 2 others like this.
  10. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as I know some people report sensitivity or allergic reactions to food with high levels of histamine. There has been little research on it but the current findings are somewhat contradictory.

11. Jonathan Edwards

I thought it was that the foods stimulated release of histamine. Do any foods actually contain a lot of histamine? Histamine wouldn't produce an allergic reaction as such. Allergy releases histamine through binding of IgE antibodies but for foods I think the histamine release is based on a simpler chemical interaction. But the internet seems to be in total confusion - many of the top hits being contradictory with each other.

alktipping, EndME, Hutan and 4 others like this.