1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mattress toppers that don't make you too hot?

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Sasha, Oct 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I just have my fitted sheet around the mattress topper. It means leaving the sides of the mattress underneath uncovered, but if you don't like that you could put another fitted sheet on the mattress which wouldn't need changing nearly as often.

It's much lighter and easier changing the sheet if it's just on the topper. My cleaner usually changes my bedding when needed, but when we had no help during the pandemic before we were vaccinated, I found it possible to change my sheet occasionally. I couldn't have managed if I had to raise the mattress itself at all to tuck under the edges and corners of the fitted sheet.

Wits_End, Ash, Sasha and 1 other person like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The problem I have found with extra deep fitted sheets is that in order to bump up the 'depth' they take it from the top, so even if I can get them on they don't fit properly.

This isn't just cheap ones (all of my sheets are nominally at least 300tc), I also have one from an expensive MS range, and they are the same.

I have depths of most 12 inches, and one 15 inch, and my mattress is only 10 inches, and none of them fit properly, especially not with the topper on.

When I was getting DLA I spent a fortune trying to find ones that did, and did not succeed.

This problem appears to be specific to fitted sheets, the ones with a skirt attached have no issues with the size of the top section, so it's not my washing machine shrinking them, unfortunately those are not compatible with my bed since I changed away from divans to a bed frame.

Trish likes this.
  3. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too, and I use a fitted sheet on the mattress underneath. I found it much easier.

Trish likes this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a marvellous idea but doesnt that make it baggy? how do you tuck in under around the elastic corner straps which hold the topper on to the mattress?

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Ah, my topper doesn't have corner straps. I can see that would be a problem.

Skycloud likes this.
  6. JemPD

ahhh. I have 2 woll ones, one atop the other to give sufficinet cushioning. i guess if it were a latex or memory foam type you wouldnt necessarily need it because the weight of it would be enough to hold it in place

Trish and Joel like this.
  7. Joel

Joel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are super crazy heavy, I will tell you that. Much much heavier than memory foam. I think the delivery guy carried it all up the stairs for me. Even so the thinner topper may be a good choice given the weight. If you compare the weight on website to a site selling memory foam it may give you a more accurate idea if how much heavier. Two- or Three-times as heavy? I’m not sure.

I can’t recall how deep mine is, I think maybe I bought a thicker one at first, but it essentially acted like a mini mattress (of medium support) being that thick. What i wanted was a softer layer on top for comfort but for the underlying mattress (which was firm rated) to give the actual support. So I think I may have returned it for a thinner topper in the end? I certainly returned the first one and swapped it, and they were good with that. That was a big benefit for me because i needed to try it out to work out what worked for me.

They are soft in feel, they do have some give so if you push down on it your hand will push in but they are also kind of firm in that they have a significant natural spring to them pushing back. More so than memory foam. On my side I don’t sink in as much as with memory foam, it can almost feel too firm in that respect but then again i chose the firmest options as that gave me the best back and hip support that i needed. I hope that all makes sense. Its tricky to describe because it’s different to memory foam or spring mattresses/toppers.

Ash, Trish and Sasha like this.
  8. Joel

The latex topper I have came with a substantial cover which protects it and that unzips and is washable. As you point out there’s no way you could wash the actual topper yourself.

Trish likes this.
  9. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, @Joel, that's really helpful. I think I might maybe get a goose/duck down topper, just because I think I can get it up the stairs. It might not last as long as a latex one but it's a question of what's possible!

Joel likes this.
  10. Joel

I totally understand. I haven’t tried one of those but I suspect they must be pretty comfortable. Hope it works well for you.

Sasha and Trish like this.
  11. JemPD

@Sasha, of course you may like it, but given the thread topic i thought i should mention that i have found feather/down toppers very hot in the past - you could try the effect of a topper by sleeping on top of a couple of feather duvets, it's roughly the same experience. In summer i found them utterly impossible, just because you sink in & so more of the surface of your body is covered

they also go very flat after a couple of weeks so have to be shaken hard every time you change the sheets really to get the 'loft' back

Mij, Trish and Sasha like this.
  12. Sasha

Thanks, JemPD - actually, having now looked at reviews and info, I've decided against this type of topper for exactly those reasons!

Back to square one. I'd like a latex topper but I don't see how I can get one - and I'd like to try one first but am still shielding from the coronavirus. I feel a bit stuck!

Ash, JemPD and Trish like this.
  13. JemPD

Yeah its a bummer @Sasha .

I am also still shielding apart from my carers, who all wear N95 masks & overalls.

But...Just in case its helpful.... I have been forced to have workmen/delivery men into my house, including upstairs, a total of THIRTEEN times this year, including to deliver a new bed, new washing machine upstairs toilet broke had to be replaced, then downstairs one, a flood, a boiler issue etc etc, it's been a catalogue of disaster! So i've got safe 'intruders' down to a fine art... Here is what i do - just in case it's helpful. (the following is a list of what some would say are paranoia levels of hygeine measures, but i still safe after all those 'intruders' s i'm sticking to it... so if you not interested in reading that just skip to the nxt post)

I provide an N95 mask for them which i leave in a box on the doorstep, & explain (if possible on the phone beforehand, but if not then out of the window before i answer the door, starting with "I'm so sorry I know its a pain but I'm still shielding & still extremely vulnerable to covid, & have been advised that a cloth mask is insufficient to protect me, would you mind awfully wearing the one i provide etc) they are always happy to do so. I then open every window in the property - wide getting a through breeze.
    Then when i open the door, again i apologise, & ask nicely for them to walk/step through the large tray that i put in the doorway with lemon zoflora disinfectant in it (so they're not paddling germs up the stairs from wherever they've been prior) - lemon because it doesnt smell as strong & it's clear - doesnt mark the carpet. It's in a low sided tray with a large spongey cloth in, so it doesnt slip slide in the tray - you can step into & out of it easily.

They go wherever they need to go/do what they need to do but i keep a close eye on what they touch - with their bodies as well as their hands. I wear an N99/FFP3 mask while they are here & also for about 30mins after they leave depending on how windy it is & whether i think the air has been replaced yet.
    Then i go round & spray or wipe with either DEW, or zoflora, everything they touched, including banisters etc.
    Delivery men dont touch much, but their arses do rub on door frames & hands on banisters on way back downstairs
    (lol i say 'I' go round & wipe up... i have to have carers there when they come, especially for workmen as they tend to touch a lot more, & all the wiping would be way too much for me). Where possible furniture gets covered in blankets (which are folded up very slowly & carefully to avoid dislodging particles after they go, & left to decontaminate for a few days - you have to assess before hand whether it wouls be easier to cover the item or wipe it.

When i had the bed delivered I slept on the settee for 2 nights while it 'decontaminated', which was very unpleasant, but better than risk of covid, or anxiety about it.

I think that is all much less risky than going to a store to lay on one to try it, where the environment is less controlled by you & a dozen other people have laid on it that day. ugh

so if you ordered a topper from one of the firms that do a 30 night trial for a full refund if you dont like it, then it might be possible to try one at home & get it delivered/collected direct from your bedroom if you dont like it.

Simbindi, Mij, Sasha and 1 other person like this.
  14. Sasha

I think that's all pretty reasonable, TBH, @JemPD!

Thus far I've been hiding in other rooms for emergency visitors (plus with all the windows open, plus masks for everybody), or even leaving the flat entirely if someone has to be in all the rooms and there's nowhere for me to hide (as when the plumber does the boiler service). Glad I'm not the only one taking these kinds of measures!

15. JemPD

Glad others are doing similar!
    lol my plumber thinks i'm a nut job i think, & yes the boiler service goes into more rooms than you expect doesnt it, i was horrifed whe he started traipsing round! but he's a kind bloke so he humours me :D

Sasha and Trish like this.
  16. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My parents always invested in decent beds for us. Growing up near the factory, I've had Relyon beds since age 16, with full pocketed springs. My current bed has 2400 individually pocketed springs, a sprung divan base and an inbuilt topper with multiple layers, including pure wool and some anti-mite material. It will need to be replaced in the next few years, but so far has lasted almost 15 years. Apparently having a sprung base prolongs the life of the mattress (mine is designed to just be rotated, rather than turned over).

The mattress is heavy, but so, so comfortable, especially now I am bedbound for well over 95% of the day (just up for the essential living needs). As the base is on caster wheels, this does make it easier to change the bedding (my bed is against an interior wall).

When I come to replace it I will upgrade it further.

I had an autistic friend stay a few years ago for just one night. She had given up sleeping on her own bed due to her back problems and was sleeping in a front room chair. I gave her my bed for the night and slept on the settee myself. She was sure she wouldn't get any sleep, but the next morning told me she had had the first proper night's sleep for many years. So a decent bed is well worth the investment (a comparable model to my current one would be circa £1500 at sale price, over £2000 rrp).

I have also trained Loki (my Bengal and avatar) to sleep on a folded up single quilt in the bottom corner of the bed (so it's easy to vacuum and wash). He gives his approval for the comfort factor, spending nearly as much time on the bed as myself!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    meg22, Sasha, Sean and 3 others like this.
  17. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm lucky that my daughter can take as many lateral flow tests as needed before visiting me or taking me to appointments (I've had to do two visits to the optician recently). I also use a N99 mask when out, but I have to use the valve type for myself due to the severe asthma and breathing difficulties. However, like you, I have and will continue to 'shield', especially as I wasn't able to be vaccinated (couldn't risk becoming very severe with all my trips needed to Bristol for the eye surgeries).

JemPD likes this.