ME Association: “Get Well Soon” – Guest Blog by Louise Shepherd

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Eagles, Nov 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME Association: “Get Well Soon” – Guest Blog by Louise Shepherd

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/2019/11/get-well-soon-guest-blog-by-louise-shepherd-22-november-2019/

I was recently sorting through some of my belongs and came across my “Keepsake box.” As I dug my way through it, I found a small pile of cards and letters.

Some were for passing exams or my driving test but a number of them were from when I began to get really sick and was eventually diagnosed with Anaemia and Hypothyroidism back in 2006/2007, and a few others were from when I was later diagnosed with Moderate/Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis in 2013.

Almost all of them contained those three words that no-one with any chronic illness wants to hear or read…

“Get Well Soon.”

Such small but powerful words – for right and wrong reasons. The sentiment behind them is fine when you have a cold or even broken a bone; colds clear up and bones heal. But when there’s no chance of becoming 100% better, hearing or reading them can really drag you down to the dark places of your mind…

2. Lisa108

Lisa108 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Only marginally related, but HERE are some honest empathy cards for "major illness, grief and loss".
    I wish I'd get some of these instead of the random "get well soon".

One example:
    Empathy Cards_emilymcdowell.jpg

3. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. A while ago, I was looking for a card for someone who was seriously ill. How insensitive would it be to send them a "Get well soon" card if you knew they were terminally ill?

ahimsa, ladycatlover, Lisa108 and 2 others like this.
  4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My father died a week after his 50th birthday. He got lots of cards and it was obvious that people had taken great care not to send one that wished him a great year. The exceptions were the obvious ones like my scatty aunt and my granny who meant well but often missed :)

I used to make a lot of cards for charity and always used "sorry you are sick".

With my ME fogginess I worry I am not as careful with things as I used to be. I hate to give offence or upset anyone but I can't guarantee it any more. My only defence is I never intend any harm and it is not deliberate - also willing to apologise if it is explained to me.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I tend to choose cards with a nice picture of nature, and no printed message. Then I can tell people I'm sorry they are ill and that I'm thinking of them without having some card company providing me with inappropriate words.