1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

ME Research UK announce funding for "The effect of activated HERVs and the associated immune response in severe ME/CFS"

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Andy, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.meresearch.org.uk/research/activated-hervs-and-immune-response/

bobbler, alktipping, LisaG and 22 others like this.
  2. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some sort of atypical autoimmune problems may well be going in ME, or in subgroups of ME, but calling them characteristic of ME seems to be overstating the current evidence.

As far as I can make out this study starts at step 2 of the above hypothesis, i.e. it asks the question if there is increased activation of HERVs in ME. It doesn't seem to address step 1, i.e. what is causing the epigenetic changes purportedly causing HERV activation. Has this been addressed in other studies already? Or are they working on the basis that if they find no HERV activation there's no point in looking for epigenetic changes, and if they do find HERV activation they can then look for epigenetic changes at that point?
    Interesting cohort set-up, starting with comparing severe ME and FM rather than the usual HC.

Hutan, alktipping, Michelle and 7 others like this.
  3. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am very curious about the FM control group. There is a great deal of overlap between the 2 diseases, so one would have to ensure that the FM group is not either misdiagnosed or living with both, including PEM.

it is not unheard of that at the family practice level, physicians calls ME fibromyalgia due to the lack of knowledge.

Hutan, alktipping, Ravn and 6 others like this.
  4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect #2 is probably significantly easier to do than #1, hence the reason for doing it that way around – though #1 may be a much more revealing question.

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME Research UK:

Dr Elisa Oltra at the Catholic University of Valencia has recently completed her ME Research UK-funded study looking at the link between HERVs and ME/CFS. She published early results from the study back in 2022:
    https://www.meresearch.org.uk/research/persistent-herv-expression-in-patients-with-post-covid-symptoms/

—-
    This is on a long Covid study that used ME Research UK funding; see:
    https://www.meresearch.org.uk/human-endogenous-retroviruses-hervs-and-long-covid/

6. LisaG

LisaG Established Member (Voting Rights)

Solstice, Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member