Melinda Gates resigns from Gates Foundation

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by Jaybee00, May 13, 2024.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ravn, Sean, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  2. Jaybee00

https://twitter.com/user/status/1790052454228439453

“After careful thought and reflection, I have decided to resign from my role as co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. My last day of work at the foundation will be June 7th.

This is not a decision I came to lightly. I am immensely proud of the foundation that Bill and I built together and of the extraordinary work it is doing to address inequities around the world. I care deeply about the foundation team, our partners around the world, and everyone who is touched by its work.

I am taking this step with full confidence that the foundation is in strong shape, with its extremely capable CEO Mark Suzman, the Executive Leadership Team, and an experienced board of trustees in place to ensure all its important work continues.

The time is right for me to move forward into the next chapter of my philanthropy.
    This is a critical moment for women and girls in the U.S. and around the world-and those fighting to protect and advance equality are in urgent need of support.

Under the terms of my agreement with Bill, in leaving the foundation, I will have an additional $12.5 billion to commit to my work on behalf of women and families. I'll be sharing more about what that will look like in the near future.”

3. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Man can someone pitch her ME and LC?
    With the whole neglected illness that primarily affects women angle.

Someone put Unrest on her watch list..

RedFox, Ravn, pooriepoor91 and 6 others like this.
  4. Jaybee00

5. Yann04

6. Yann04

Obviously type of long covid is not the full picture but it helps to mention something people understand and tweet length limits make it hard to add any nuance

MEMarge, Missense, Ravn and 7 others like this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Well done @Yann04!

(Just on Unrest, and not wanting to take this thread off-topic, there are different opinions about the film. It may not be the best thing to recommend when advocating; I personally think it can be counter-productive. I'll find a thread that discusses it and link it here.)

8. Yann04

please do I am curious. and tell me if there is an alternative you would recommend :)

9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I've made a post here about the film:Unrest film - Jen Brea
    That's a good thread to continue the discussion about the film.

On alternatives, I was looking for a good video that introduces ME/CFS recently and didn't find a good recent and sufficiently detailed one. The Broken Battery videos are great but short (the Severe and Very Severe ME/CFS one is longer and might be the best one to recommend). The Dialogues for a Neglected Illness ones are also great, but there is now the new NICE guideline and we don't necessarily want to go into a lot of detail about treatments that are not recommended and the whole 'It really is real!' issue. I think we could use a good up to date video, about 10 minutes long, that says what ME/CFS is.

Last edited: May 13, 2024
    MEMarge, Tia, oldtimer and 12 others like this.
  10. Yann04

Thanks Hutan! I must confess I never actually watched unrest myself, because i was already to severe to watch stuff when I learnt about it. I just used it because it seemed to be the default everyone used…

11. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for the tweet @Yann04!!!

@Hutan I’ve been wondering about film too a lot recently. New films are always welcome. I’ve been wondering also, if we could make one from splicing together the best bits of previous titles so that we can keep the first person voices from our history yet prioritise
    only the most salient points for this this moment. I am haunted by some of the past documentaries footage. But I also often wince at aspects I feel come too close to misrepresentation or minimisation.

Last edited: May 13, 2024
    MEMarge, Jaybee00, Ravn and 6 others like this.
  12. Jaybee00

I think the angle for Ms. Gates is that MECFS is a disease that disproportionately affects women.

MEMarge, Tia, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

In fairness, the tropics is probably where most of the people with untreated diseases live, because that is where most people live, and also where most of the people without access to modern medicine live. Primarily in Asia, Africa, and the Americas.

MEMarge, Tia, oldtimer and 6 others like this.
  14. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In addition, could be worth somebody on xtwitter (i.e. not me) pointing out to Melinda that people of colour and people with low socioeconomic status are even more neglected, and that's just in the wealthy countries. I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for a poor woman in a poor country to try and survive with ME

MEMarge, RedFox, Lou B Lou and 8 others like this.
  15. winterwren

winterwren Established Member

It would be really helpful to have numbers of people with ME and LC in different geographical areas. I know it would be diagnosed really differently or not at all in some countries but there must be a way to report this? Are there good stats?

I’ve heard a global estimate before for ME but it’s hard to pitch something without a good breakdown.

MEMarge, RedFox, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  16. Yann04

Post-covid, I think the general estimate if you very roughly put together a lot of studies and surveys is around 1 in 100 people. I think pre covid it was more like 1 in 200. Those are very rough estimates and more like an order of magnitude estimate than anything precise.

That gives you about 80 million people on earth which is a large number but the estimate doesn’t sound crazy to me either.

RedFox, winterwren, Ash and 1 other person like this.
  17. Jaybee00

https://twitter.com/user/status/1792579765318099221

NEW -- Pivotal Ventures, founded by Melinda French Gates, donated $400k to Be a Hero PAC, per a new FEC filing. Donation was April 11.

This is an ALS-related group.

“Four months after the birth of his son Carl, Ady Barkan was diagnosed with ALS. Confronting his own mortality, Ady decided to spend his remaining time fighting to transform America’s health care system so that it guarantees all of us the care and dignity we deserve and lifting up stories of incredible heroism in the face of injustice.”

@Yann04

MEMarge, RedFox, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  18. Yann04

Wish I had some distant connections or idea how to contact melinda haha…

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  19. Jaybee00

MEMarge, Sean, Trish and 2 others like this.
  20. Yann04

I really wish someone in the ME world was connected to her in some way or had the resources to make a convincing pitch

SNT Gatchaman, EzzieD, Sean and 4 others like this.