Microbiome-encoded bile acid metabolism modulates colonic transit times, 2021, Li et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

In mice.

Highlights

• Gut microbiome-generated bile acids regulate colonic transit via TGR5.
    • Lithocholic acid had the largest colonic pro-motility effect.
    • Bile acids exert sex-biased effects on gut transit times.
    • Enteric nervous system transcriptional responses are regional and microbiome-specific.
    Summary

Gut motility is regulated by the microbiome via mechanisms that include bile acid metabolism. To localize the effects of microbiome-generated bile acids, we colonized gnotobiotic mice with different synthetic gut bacterial communities that were metabolically phenotyped using a functional in vitro screen. Using two different marker-based assays of gut transit, we inferred that bile acids exert effects on colonic transit. We validated this using an intra-colonic bile acid infusion assay and determined that these effects were dependent upon signaling via the bile acid receptor, TGR5. The intra-colonic bile acid infusion experiments further revealed sex-biased bile acid-specific effects on colonic transit, with lithocholic acid having the largest pro-motility effect. Transcriptional responses of the enteric nervous system (ENS) were stereotypic, regional, and observed in response to different microbiota, their associated bile acid profiles, and even to a single diet ingredient, evidencing exquisite sensitivity of the ENS to environmental perturbations.

Open access, https://www.cell.com/iscience/fulltext/S2589-0042(21)00476-4

2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i will just eat three mice a day to get my digestive system on track . sorry could not resist . interesting paper though could be the basis for new drugs considering the ever increasing rates of digestive problems in modern societies .

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not to judge but I doubt that eating 3 mice per day makes for a healthy diet unless you're a cat.