Molecular Mechanisms of Neuroinflammation in ME/CFS and Long COVID to Sustain Disease and Promote Relapses, 2022, Tate et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Jaybee00, May 25, 2022.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

2. Tom123

Tom123 New Member

Thanks Nellie :)

3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    Ravn, oldtimer, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure why this is gaining traction now, the paper came out a couple of months ago (and it's a hypothesis paper, not "new research").

Anyway, likely linked to the press releases above, a short interview with Prof Tate on National Radio. He's trying to explain his hypothesis in less than 5 minutes, in the process overselling the level of certainty we have for anything to do with LC and ME. Not sure that's helpful. On the other hand the more frequent mention in the media of ME as something being researched is probably a good thing.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/prog...rs-looking-at-how-to-help-long-covid-recovery

sebaaa, Peter Trewhitt, CRG and 4 others like this.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Body-brain neuroinflammation loop may cause chronic ME/CFS, long COVID symptoms

Researchers have developed a hypothesis that may explain how chronic neuroinflammation contributes to conditions such as myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) and postacute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection through a continuing relapse-recovery cycle.

ME/CFS has been established as resulting from infections, environmental exposures, stressors, and surgery. Similarities have been drawn during the COVID-19 pandemic between ME/CFS and a large subgroup of patients with post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection – also known as post-COVID conditions, or long COVID – who continue to have viral fatigue and other lingering symptoms after their infection resolves.

What has been less clearly understood, the researchers said, is the reason behind why ME/CFS and other postviral fatigue tends to be chronic and can sometime develop into a lifelong condition.

“These diseases are very closely related, and it is clear the . . .

https://www.mdedge.com/neurology/ar...flammation-loop-may-cause-chronic-me/cfs-long

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2022
    Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know where they learned anatomy, but I'm fairly sure that not only is the brain part of the body, the body generally doesn't function without a brain, a very important part of itself. It's like my body and my body-hand, or my body and my body-liver.

This is a lot like the drugs and alcohol nonsense. Buddy, alcohol is very much a drug, this distinction is entirely political.

chrisb, Trish, oldtimer and 2 others like this.
  7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is true but it poses an intersting dilemma. What word could be used to describe the body excluding the brain and any parts of the central nervous system considered relevant. We may just have to accept this usage.

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can't say I understand the value of doing that anymore than doing the same with the vascular system. Or the immune system. Or the lymphatic system. Just because modern medicine gives magical properties to high-level thinking, intelligence, doesn't make it so, the same issues seem to exist in animals with extremely simple nervous systems, far too simple to have any of that psychosocial woo.

And a lot of animal behavior doesn't even have the complexity of psychology, there is no thought involved anymore than in the behavior of an ant following a chemical trail. Frankly this is all nearly as silly as making this about the soul, for all the nonsense babbled on in BPS land, what they speak of as the mind may as well be the soul, or any other mystical woo.