Myopathy as a cause of Long COVID fatigue: Evidence from quantitative and single fiber EMG and muscle histopathology, April 2023, Hejbøl et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by EndME, Jul 21, 2023.

1. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Myopathy as a cause of Long COVID fatigue: Evidence from quantitative and single fiber EMG and muscle histopathology

Highlights
    Objective
    To describe neurophysiological abnormalities in Long COVID and correlate quantitative electromyography (qEMG) and single fiber EMG (sfEMG) results to clinical scores and histopathology.

Methods
    84 patients with non-improving musculoskeletal Long COVID symptoms were examined with qEMG and sfEMG. Muscle biopsies were taken in a subgroup.

Results
    Mean motor unit potential (MUP) duration was decreased in ≥ 1 muscles in 52 % of the patients. Mean jitter was increased in 17 % of the patients in tibialis anterior and 25 % in extensor digitorum communis. Increased jitter was seen with or without myopathic qEMG. Low quality of life score correlated with higher jitter values but not with qEMG measures. In addition to our previously published mitochondrial changes, inflammation, and capillary injury, we show now in muscle biopsies damage of terminal nerves and motor endplate with abundant basal lamina material. At the endplate, axons were present but no vesicle containing terminals. The post-synaptic cleft in areas appeared atrophic with short clefts and coarse crests.

Conclusions
    Myopathic changes are common in Long COVID. sfEMG abnormality is less common but may correlate with clinical scores. sfEMG changes may be due to motor endplate pathology.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1388245723000196#b0040

This seems to build on similar work discussed here: https://www.s4me.info/threads/myopa...uscle-histopathology-2022-hejbøl-et-al.27997/.

Lindberg, Hutan, shak8 and 7 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Interested to see if and how this might change in the long term.

Hutan, Kitty, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From their 2022 paper

Which sounds a lot like Mitochondrial abnormalities in the postviral fatigue syndrome (1991, Acta Neuropathologica) —

The other point made in their 2022 paper was —

We keep seeing this.

Rob Wüst presented at the recent Charité conference on LC and said

In the picture he showed they looked to be where the capillaries would previously have been, so maybe they were in empty capillary basal membranes?

obeat, Hutan, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

These are microclots inside skeletal muscle - and they are not inside capillaries.

That is interesting. :geek::nerd:

Joan Crawford, Kitty and John Mac like this.
  5. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it right to say that it can't be due to the processing method of the samples? Which is often a criticism of microclots in the blood.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2023
    Hutan, voner, Sean and 2 others like this.
  6. EndME

This is also what I'd be interested in. Can these dust looking like microclots and similar problems still occur in these muscle biopsies if one is looking inside of skeletal muscles?

Hutan, John Mac, Sean and 2 others like this.
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess it'd be a lot clearer if they weren't present in samples from a control group processed at the same time. Haven't the energy to read the article properly, so I'm not sure whether they did this.

Hutan, Trish and Sean like this.
  8. EndME

I don't think that'll be possible since Rob Wüst's findings haven't been published (the article is about a different study). It's more of a question for those that have knowledge of such biopsies without being able to read the study.

9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Forum threads on these three previous papers by the same Danish team:
    Myopathic changes in patients with long-term fatigue after COVID-19, 2021, Agergaard et al

Myopathy as a cause of fatigue in long-term post-COVID-19 symptoms: Evidence of skeletal muscle histopathology, 2022, Hejbøl et al

Characteristics of a Danish Post COVID Cohort referred for examination due to persistent symptoms 6 months after... COVID-19, 2022, Agergaard et al

Kitty, Sean, SNT Gatchaman and 2 others like this.
  10. Hutan

qEMG - quantitative electromyography
    A review of clinical quantitative electromyography, 2010
    "Information regarding the morphology of motor unit potentials (MUPs) and motor unit firing patterns can be used to help diagnose, treat, and manage neuromuscular disorders. In a conventional electromyographic (EMG) examination, a clinician manually assesses the characteristics of needle-detected EMG signals across a number of distinct needle positions and forms an overall impression of the condition of the muscle. Such a subjective assessment is highly dependent on the skills and level of experience of the clinician, and is prone to a high error rate and operator bias.

Quantitative methods have been developed to characterize MUP waveforms using statistical and probabilistic techniques that allow for greater objectivity and reproducibility in supporting the diagnostic process."

sfEMG - single fibre electromyography
    Single-fiber EMG: A review, 2011
    "When a motor axon is depolarized the action potentials travel distally and excite the muscle fiber more or less at the same time. The variation in the time interval between the two action potentials of the same motor unit is called as “jitter”. SFEMG measures the variation of this inter potential interval (jitter)[Figure 3]."

Screen Shot 2023-07-22 at 2.05.13 pm.png

Kitty, Trish and Sean like this.
  11. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the criticisms about ex vivo microclot demonstration was that blood likes to make clots, particularly at room temperature. Although we only had 12 seconds of video comment, the point was made that these were amyloid deposits, not in blood vessels, therefore not in blood. The image on screen showed these as green fluorescent deposits, so possibly using the amyloid tagging Thioflavin-T that Resia Pretorius has published on. I think it's been said that that can stick to quite a lot of other stuff, so there is still room for it being artifact.

Rob Wüst characterised them as "microclots", but not blocking capillary flow. The question that I hope will be addressed in their upcoming paper is whether they think they were previously in capillaries and so previously obstructed flow — and required the capillary remodelling discussed in this thread's papers. I have no idea whether it would be possible to separate them off and compare their proteomics to the Pretorius findings.

I'll try and ask a pathology colleague about this, though we may need to wait for the paper.

Kitty, John Mac, EndME and 3 others like this.
  12. Hutan

*referred for electromyography (EMG) examination due to severely affected and non-improving daily function, as well as physical/muscular exhaustion, myalgia or reduced force.

76% of patients female
    16% have abnormal levels of creatine kinase (indicates muscle damage)
    8% have abnormal levels of myoglobulin (indicates muscle damage)
    For both creatine kinase and myoglobulin, the abnormal values were only slightly above the normal reference value.

95% have physical fatigue
    88% have myalgia
    92% have concentration difficulties
    55% have reduced muscle force

Investigations around 10 months after acute Covid-19
    None of the 84 patients had mononeuropathy or entrapment neuropathy in peroneal nerve or signs of polyneuropathy. None of the patients had decrement in repetitive nerve stimulation.

I think these videos are useful for understanding this paper; they cover motor neurons and the motor endplate (in the muscle around the terminal of the motor neuron) and action potentials.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
    Kitty and Sean like this.
  13. Hutan

Basal lamina?
    Pyridostigmine? (Mestinon)
    The authors acknowledge the small number of biopsies.

ukxmrv, Kitty, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  14. Hutan

The EMG stuff was compared against previously derived values for people of the same age and sex. So, I think when they say a result is abnormal, they have some basis for saying that.

The histology is a bit beyond me. They are saying that in the images of nerve terminals that they captured from one biopsy, the "boutons", the swellings right at the end, are missing. I've tried looking at the paper in the picture and at pictures of normal motor nerve terminals and, yeah, ... maybe? It would be good to hear what people who routinely look at these sort of images make of them.

ukxmrv, Kitty, EndME and 3 others like this.