1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix "Afflicted" - ME included

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Took a look at the first episode. It's really powerful, Jamison is such a hero for doing this. They include the perspectives of patients, as well as their loved ones/caregivers, and various doctors and researchers, which makes it more interesting (albeit sometimes frustrating).

Very relatable. Be careful if you are in a place where getting emotional will be too much for you right now.

Younger does indeed make an appearance in the trailer:)

3. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Watched the first episode too. Very good, non judgemental filmmaking. Pretty much everyone I speak to who also has ME is higher functioning than me...to see Jamison was sobering. I also thought the couple trying to pursue mold treatment were really sweet.

Indigophoton, Webdog, Atle and 11 others like this.
  4. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought the series was terrible and sent the wrong message in terms of advocacy. The program consistently conflated psychological and biological problems. I don't know how much Jamison understood about how the content would be presented in final production. The first episode is not bad, but overall the message in the series is a mess. One thing it correctly portrays is that people with medically unexplained illnesses are easy prey for doctors offering out-of-pocket services. Later in the series, Jamison's new doctor claims he doesn't even have ME...so I'm left a bit bewildered. I do not fault Jamison at all, he's been a staunch advocate for people with ME and has been very public about how severe his ME is. I just don't know that this program did his situation justice, nor did it pick up on any of the science...just anecdotes...oh, and that the mind and body are tied together.

6. andypants

That is disappointing. I thought the first episode was very promising. Aargh:mad:

Why do they always have to go down that road?:bored: They start out by saying ‘look how very sick these people are’ and sooner or later always end up at ‘these poor, delusional people, luckily that means it won’t be us some day!’

I’ll probably try another episode or two, but thanks for the warning @Diwi9

7. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't watched this but it sounds like it may have done more harm than good. It would have been better if it didn't concentrate on personal lives and treatment attempts so much and focused more on research and attempts to improve the political situation.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  8. Dr Carrot

When does this happen? I didn’t see any mention of psychological stuff in episodes 1 or 2,it would be a shame if the tone changed after this.

Edit: Have now watched a couple more episodes - there are some dissenting voices being thrown in but I can’t help but feel that it’s the documentary’s responsibility to put those in there. They do, after all, exist in real life, and are common among conservative medical thought.

inox, adambeyoncelowe, Trish and 2 others like this.
  9. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the problem.

10. Joh

11. Joh

12. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, what a pity :(
    I feel so sorry for those participating in the documentary if they had no knowledge or anything to say about the end result. I've only seen first half of first episode and got a bit wary when one of the patients described herself as a psychic. But then I saw a glimpse of Mark Davis saying something about ME and got really excited.

That's one of my worst nightmares to trust and open my heart to tell my story about this disease to a journalist and then end up with an article saying something completely different than what I had tried to get across.

13. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'll add it to my playlist, looking through the episode list though I'm not too enthusiastic about some of the conditions that are being put in the same basket as ME.

afflicted.png

14. andypants

I think we should be very careful about dismissing the other conditions presented. Even if we don't believe they have found the right diagnosis, we of all people should understand the desperation and fear when something is very wrong with you but you can't figure out what or get any real help.

15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have only watched the first couple of episodes. The impression I get so far is that all the people featured are suffering real physical symptoms and most have been misled by alternative practitioners into trying some pretty crazy treatments which end up leaving them looking a bit crazy just for believing that stuff.

So far Jamison has come across really well as a very sane and very physically sick man struggling bravely to cope with severe disability. I was a bit confused by the doctor suggesting he may not have ME.

I'll watch the rest and see what I think. I'm so sorry to hear Jamison himself has been upset by it after he put himself through all the stress of being filmed.

16. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, this has taken an unexpected angle. Thank you @Joh for those twitter posts. I can't believe the degree of disrespect which swings with this. This is just mean. But, you know, with wackos one can do that... *cynic*

I am happy Ron Davis and others want to write about it.

Still, I am a bit speechless as a result of this discrimination/lying/misopathy.

17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Best wishes to anyone involved in this who feels disappointed by it... and anyone not directly involved too!

I've not seen any, so can't really comment

There is a danger with 'personal stories' that they can often be made to fit the preconceptions of whoever is doing the editing. Also, one of the dangers of 'alternative medicine' or unfounded scientific claims being used amongst patients is that it can make people look unreasonable. That's one reason why it's helpful for us to all try to keep picking apart claims about different theories and approaches.

18. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As you say these are two separate things, dismissing a condition is not dismissing that the person is ill and suffering and deserving of help and compassion, just that you disagree on the medical condition to which they have attributed the illness. If you genuinely believe the diagnosis is wrong then what is the best way to help ?

There are plenty of less controversial incurable diseases like MS or lupus or dozens others, it's hard to believe that it was an accident that they instead chose so feature ME alongside electromagnetic hypersensitivity which has no scientific basis and is not a recognised medical diagnosis.

19. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you have Netflix you can go to Afflicted and give it a 'thumbs down'. That might help to let them know how people are feeling about the series.

alex3619, mango, Inara and 2 others like this.
  20. Dr Carrot

Or, if you liked it, a thumbs up ;)